JvR

Fearless Leaf*

Lol, It's been just 2 games. JVR has in no way shape or form looked good at all but I think we need to give 5 games or so before judging him. He is the kind of player that needs adjustment.

What I have caught from his two games is that he has a knack for going hard to net(and that's something we have lacked) and add to that his size, speed, and skill into the mix and you have a good potential player in the making.

Time will tell how it'll go with but I think he is just in the whole adjustment mode. Let him settle in properly, and watch him light up.

DaveT83*

I hope his foot is injured - because other than that there is no excuse for his uninspired play.

2 games in and RC has already called him out: http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...randy-carlyle-wants-more-soldiers-in-war-zone

“He’s got to go into the dirty areas a little bit more. That’s one of the things we’re going to ask of him,” Carlyle said of van Riemsdyk. “He’s a big man that can go to the front of the net.”

Said van Riemsdyk, somewhat defiantly: “I think I can score in a lot of different ways, and being in front of the net is one of them. I know I’ve been around the net a lot the last couple of games.”

Carlyle, just to be clear, isn’t asking his players to stand “around” the net. He’s talking about standing in front of it — between the posts, where the blue ice meets white.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Flyers fan here (and Reimer fan too) coming in peace. Just to shed some light on JVR: he will have a month of the year every year he will look like a breakout star and the rest of the time be invisible. It is how he has always been, college included. Two years ago it was in the playoffs so everyone thought he was real deal but it was just his "time of the season" so to speak. If he could spread it out over the whole year you will have winner on your hands but I must admit I was tired of his inconsistant play. He plays his best when he's mad it seems like but for the most part he plays like he is just collecting a paycheque.

I can almost guarantee you somewhere this season someone will revive this thread and say "see you guys just didn't give him enough time, look how awesome he is now." You will all read your responses and say something like "wow was I wrong about him, he can dictate the play like no-one else before him."

A month later he will disappear into the muck much like Atreaus horse on The Neverending Story.

I really hope he turns it around. I love seeing Flyer picks make an impact even if it isn't on the Flyers

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Flyers fan here (and Reimer fan too) coming in peace. Just to shed some light on JVR: he will have a month of the year every year he will look like a breakout star and the rest of the time be invisible. It is how he has always been, college included. Two years ago it was in the playoffs so everyone thought he was real deal but it was just his "time of the season" so to speak. If he could spread it out over the whole year you will have winner on your hands but I must admit I was tired of his inconsistant play. He plays his best when he's mad it seems like but for the most part he plays like he is just collecting a paycheque.

I can almost guarantee you somewhere this season someone will revive this thread and say "see you guys just didn't give him enough time, look how awesome he is now." You will all read your responses and say something like "wow was I wrong about him, he can dictate the play like no-one else before him."

A month later he will disappear into the muck much like Atreaus horse on The Neverending Story.

I really hope he turns it around. I love seeing Flyer picks make an impact even if it isn't on the Flyers

Ya watching him play in that playoff series, he was a completely different player than he normally is. Hopefully he can find some sort of consistency.

I hope Schenn turns out good for you guys too, he was a beast in his rookie year.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Well hopefully the change of scenery + kick in the bum of being traded is enough to get him motivated to be a more consistent player.

But yea, so far he hasn't been terribly impressive. Granted, incredibly small sample size, hard to adjust to a new team with extremely limited training camp, etc. So I'll wait to see what i think after another month or so.

jd2210

Registered Non User
Jul 24, 2009
Great White North
Ya watching him play in that playoff series, he was a completely different player than he normally is. Hopefully he can find some sort of consistency.

I hope Schenn turns out good for you guys too, he was a beast in his rookie year.

Yeah I hope it works for both clubs. You guys are seeing tonight what j v r is capable of.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I couldn't wait to revisit this page after I got home from watching the game.. LOL, he looked amazing out there today. Carlyle lit a fire under his butt.

I like the way Carlyle "Calls out" players, he seems much better at it than Wilson. He just had a meeting with JVR & Grabo and told them they weren't playing terrible, but he knows they have more to give. It's not a huge story, and it doesn't create huge pressure or anything on either of them; but low and behold both come out tonight with big games.

It's only been three games so far this year, but I've been impressed with Carlyle's coaching.

Blayzer

Jul 3, 2011
Glad to see him pot a couple, but for some sort of mean streak to develop is what I am really waiting for

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
LOL @ THE DUDE who suggested we trade JVR for Nino today.

Around these places, shiny prospects are always better than NHL'ers.

JvR only had to:

-Learn a new system.
-Get used to living in a new city
-Get used to playing with different players.
-Bruised foot

We were ready to ship him off 2 games into his Leaf career. I think he's going to be a good player for the Leafs, Kulemin+JvR look like two guys who can really complement each other.

TheDoubleDion87

Jan 14, 2013
Truculence Nation
I like the way Carlyle "Calls out" players, he seems much better at it than Wilson. He just had a meeting with JVR & Grabo and told them they weren't playing terrible, but he knows they have more to give. It's not a huge story, and it doesn't create huge pressure or anything on either of them; but low and behold both come out tonight with big games.

It's only been three games so far this year, but I've been impressed with Carlyle's coaching.

Came here to say this. It's refreshing to see a coach who knows how to talk to the media.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I want him to have a chance on the top lind with Kessel now that Lupul is gone. JVR plays similar to Lupul but a little less offence a little more defence. I think it could be a good line.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Glad to see him take Carlyle's advice and get to the front of the net. Finally showed up tonight. And it was glorious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad