JvR

SteveV*

I'm just happy we now longer have Luke patrolling the blueline. Funny watching a guy like Fraser do his former job without losing anything, perhaps an upgrade. Forget the fifth overall stuff and watch his game, Luke is a borderline NHL defenceman, a dime a dozen plug. Can't shoot, can't pass, can't skate, gets beat routinely and has no creativity whatsoever to his game. He may have been drafted fifth overall but he is a fourth rounder in reality. If JVR turns into something great, but we've lost nothing with Schenn gone, overrated is kind!

Last edited by a moderator:

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I'm just happy we now longer have Luke patrolling the blueline. Funny watching a guy like Fraser do his former job without losing anything, perhaps an upgrade. Forget the fifth overall stuff and watch his game, Luke is a borderline NHL defenceman, a dime a dozen plug. Can't shoot, can't pass, can't skate, gets beat routinely and has no creativity whatsoever to his game. He may have been drafted fifth overall but he is a fourth rounder in reality. If JVR turn into something great, but we've lost nothing with Schenn gone, overrated is kind!

Luke Schenn is one of those strange beasts who was just good enough to look great in junior, but totally incapable of keeping up in the NHL. Happens all the time. I think he's an NHL player, but is going to end up playing on 3rd pairings. A good coach will find good use for him sheltered from the better opposing lines.

Orbital

Sep 10, 2009
Denver,CO
Schenn is going to get torn apart in Philly,by the fans. He's out of his league on that team. Absolute toast! He's going to be the next Mccabe if you want a comparison and run out of town (Florida).We got lucky getting JVR for that Golem,believe me.
JVR is settling in finding his legs.After 10 games or so,he's going to be a real contributor.

SarcazemKadri

Feb 15, 2012
Toronto
People,

Theres a reason these two were traded for each other. They are both the style of player - powerforward and defensive dman - that take time to develop. It may be years until we find out who "won" the trade.

Hanta Yo

Bag it up
Jan 28, 2009
Toronto
Luke Schenn is one of those strange beasts who was just good enough to look great in junior, but totally incapable of keeping up in the NHL. Happens all the time. I think he's an NHL player, but is going to end up playing on 3rd pairings. A good coach will find good use for him sheltered from the better opposing lines.

Yet 2 out of the 4 seasons he was here, he was one of our best defensemen.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

Arguable. He looked good in his rookie season, for a guy his age. From there it was all downhill. If he was "one of our best," it was still behind other defensemen who were struggling mightily on a team with damn near the worst defense in the entire league.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
He's played two games for the Leafs FFS!

And how many for Philly? Why did Philly trade him? That, to me tells me a lot about what conclusions Philly came to after selecting him 2nd overall!

I don't dispute the fact that he may still break out, but, like Philly fans, I haven't seen any consistent development and that makes me worried. Also, he seems to be injury prone.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
And how many for Philly? Why did Philly trade him? That, to me tells me a lot about what conclusions Philly came to after selecting him 2nd overall!

I don't dispute the fact that he may still break out, but, like Philly fans, I haven't seen any consistent development and that makes me worried. Also, he seems to be injury prone.

Because they have an embarrassment of riches at forward but are desperate for any kind of solution on defense?

Giroux, Hartnell, Briere, Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, Read...do you think they miss JVR one bit?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Schenn is going to get torn apart in Philly,by the fans. He's out of his league on that team. Absolute toast! He's going to be the next Mccabe if you want a comparison and run out of town (Florida).We got lucky getting JVR for that Golem,believe me.
JVR is settling in finding his legs.After 10 games or so,he's going to be a real contributor.

I really hope that JVR becomes a real contributor. Hopefully, he doesn't find a groove and than get injured for any length of time. That's my concern, his development has been spoiled once by injury already.

Action Jackson

Jul 5, 2010

Just another burke robbery. Believe me, you won't even need multiple seasons to see this, i still think JVR is gonna have a good first season with the leafs, i'm expecting 10-15 goals.

Also can you point out why exactly you're "worried" about JVR based on his past 2 games with the leafs? (which isn't even a sufficient sample size for any NHL player) I've watched both games and didn't see any giveaways, he seems to be gelling with kadri, getting lots of shots off and his shot is a rocket. it's only a matter of time before pucks start going into the net for him. His physical play isn't exactly spectacular, but he's no slouch on the boards and plays with an edge in front of the net. Exactly what we expected from him coming out of phili.

This is just what i've seen of him... nothing to warrant being "worried" like you say, but feel free to add.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Just another burke robbery. Believe me, you won't even need multiple seasons to see this, i still think JVR is gonna have a good first season with the leafs, i'm expecting 10-15 goals.

Also can you point out why exactly you're "worried" about JVR based on his past 2 games with the leafs? (which isn't even a sufficient sample size for any NHL player) I've watched both games and didn't see any giveaways, he seems to be gelling with kadri, getting lots of shots off and his shot is a rocket. it's only a matter of time before pucks start going into the net for him. His physical play isn't exactly spectacular, but he's no slouch on the boards and plays with an edge in front of the net. Exactly what we expected from him coming out of phili.

This is just what i've seen of him... nothing to warrant being "worried" like you say, but feel free to add.

I was expecting him to use his big frame and be more physical. Komarov had 8 hits against the Habs. I expect this from JVR.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I was expecting him to use his big frame and be more physical. Komarov had 8 hits against the Habs. I expect this from JVR.
JVR's not looked good, certainly, but he's far from the kind of player Komarov (who I've really liked so far) is. They play very different players.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
People,

Theres a reason these two were traded for each other. They are both the style of player - powerforward and defensive dman - that take time to develop. It may be years until we find out who "won" the trade.

I agree. People writing Schenn and JVR off as busts dont know how long it really takes for this kind of players to fulfill their potential.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011

JVR has never been much of a physical presence. Have you seen him play other than these 2 games?

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
May I remind all of those who are dissatisfied with JVR's play thus far that he is playing with a bruised foot. He's also averaged 13:46 TOI in the first two games.

TheSilencer

Feb 5, 2010
Toronto

Key word. Being a slightly better crap on a bunch of crap isn't exactly something to sing about. 4 years with us and Luke Schenn still could barely skate and handled the puck like a grenade.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Not really impressed with him so far, but it's only been 2 games. Definitely not an appropriate amount of games to judge his play

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Its only been 2 games and his foot is injured, so I will hold off on judging him.
So far he has looked kind of slow (probably foot injury), but has shown willingness to go to the front of the net so thats a plus. He looks out of synch like most players.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie

That's never been his game. Like all skilled big guys outside of 88, the value of their size is in puck possession, net presence and goals.

I would say he needs to be a bit more aggressive in getting to the net but with Carlyle, I expect this to improve.

Otherwise he's shown good puck retrieval and possession skills and he has had a few chances.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
My god people, how impatient can some of you be? It's been 2 games. 2 games on a new team, new teammates, a shortened training camp which had 1 exhibition game in which he missed and has to learn a new system/city. You guys need to look at the big picture here. He is a very young developing power forward (which takes time to reach their full potential) who has already showed to us that he is willing and capable to standing in front of the net. He has displayed that he is strong on the puck and very good at protecting it. And he is very skilled to boot. Watching the few brief games with JVR with us has actually left me excited, not disappointed, thinking about all his potential and the future of our team with him being a power forward on our top 9. I think you guys just need to take a step back and look at the big picture here.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
My god people, how impatient can some of you be? It's been 2 games. 2 games on a new team, new teammates, a shortened training camp which had 1 exhibition game in which he missed and has to learn a new system/city. You guys need to look at the big picture here. He is a very young developing power forward (which takes time to reach their full potential) who has already showed to us that he is willing and capable to standing in front of the net. He has displayed that he is strong on the puck and very good at protecting it. And he is very skilled to boot. Watching the few brief games with JVR with us has actually left me excited, not disappointed, thinking about all his potential and the future of our team with him being a power forward on our top 9. I think you guys just need to take a step back and look at the big picture here.

NO%20RAGE.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad