JvR

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
shields the puck well. obviously talented. but hardly seen enough to say one way or another with any conviction.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
So what's the latest with Luke Schenn? I think both teams know what Schenn and JVR bring to the table. Both probably will benefit from a change of scenery, but ultimately both will still probably disappoint us in not living up to expectations.

TMLOBI

Jul 22, 2010
Toronto
I loved Schenn and now he's the enemy. I hope he's a minus 37 this year!
Hmmf being outscored 8-3 and hes a plus 1?

JVR has played a whole game for the Leafs. He didn't do much really, I wasn't impressed by him. But you can't judge a player on his first game with a new team after an extended break. Lets take at least 10 games maybe 20 and see what he has to offer.

I'm going to cry when Schenn becomes one of the best shut down dmen in the league. But lets hope JVR can become at least a 30-35 type guy!

I actually think we have a very solid 3rd line with JVR-Kadri-Komorov. They can score and both Kadri and Komorov can be pests!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Some glimpses of good play. Almost had an assist on his wide shot, but Price robbed Komarov when the puck bounced infront of the net. Other than that, he didn't play a ton in his first game.

Once he gets more ice time, we'll see how he does. Chemistry is also something needs to develop with Kadri, or whoever else he'll play with in the next couple weeks.

He's the type of forward we needed on this team though. Big and talented.

FireEverybody*

He was not invisible but did nothing to really stand out.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
He looked rusty as was expected, but he showed good speed and the ability to shelter the puck well.
Im sure once he gets in the groove he will feel more comfortable and up his play.

He is playing with Kadri as his center and they are both out to prove themselves so it will be interesting to follow them on the same line over the course of season.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I was watching the Philly-Pittsburgh game and saw Luke Schenn deflect a shot into his own net, after which I thought "Boy, I really like JVR on the Leafs".

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
He did a good job in front of the net. His talent was evident, but he didn't really show it, in all fairness he barely played. He was a member of our best line Saturday imo, basically just because Kadri was on it lol. Once JVR, Kadri, and Koma gain some chemistry that will be an extremely solid line.

SteveV*

He struck me as a cross between Howe and Lindros, perhaps a touch better.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was watching the Philly-Pittsburgh game and saw Luke Schenn deflect a shot into his own net, after which I thought "Boy, I really like JVR on the Leafs".

That's his natural instinct: Screen the goaltender and deflect the shot in your own net. He has to do it at least once or twice a week.

Last edited:

Lansdown

Feb 1, 2007
Toronto
we need to stay off other teams' boards. i cringe when i come across leafs posters annoying fans elsewhere. it makes us all look dumb.

Hologram

Jan 19, 2013
JvR didn't do anything to stand out, but that's probably expected. He missed a couple of days of camp (thanks Komi :p:), and his line is the only top 3 line on the team that hasn't played together before so they'll need some time to gel. He looked huge out there compared to his peers, although I don't know if it's just because we were playing a smaller Habs team.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Nothing outstanding, but then he isn't damaging our chances either.

Krishna

Jun 15, 2010
New Jersey
So what's the latest with Luke Schenn? I think both teams know what Schenn and JVR bring to the table. Both probably will benefit from a change of scenery, but ultimately both will still probably disappoint us in not living up to expectations.

He looked good. Faster than he was last year. Broke up a 3 on 1 against buffalo. Not afraid to use his body. Not afraid to take the puck into the offensive zone by himself.
He was not invisible but did nothing to really stand out.
The problem we had with him was he would not show up for a few games and then have a few really good games that showed why he was drafted #2 overall.. Then revert back to the invisible JVR.
That's his natural instinct: Screen the goaltender and deflect the shot in your own net. He has to do it at least once or twice a week.
He was tying up Kennedy in front when the shot was taken from the point.

Not to mention he was in the box for 2 goals against during the Buffalo game.
The first schenn penalty that lead to a PPG was a 'hook' that actually wasn't a hook. He held down Hodgson's stick with his stick and then stick lifted him to get the puck. It was a terrible call by the Ref but that's not surprising with the refs we got yesterday.

The second one was a good penalty to take. Had he not tripped foligno while going for the puck, Foligno would have had a breakaway.
we need to stay off other teams' boards. i cringe when i come across leafs posters annoying fans elsewhere. it makes us all look dumb.

100% - its really embarrassing.
It doesn't really bother us.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I'll say that I was a bit surprised by JVR. All this talk of him being a perimeter player, but he was infront of the net bangign away all night.

And I think people's concerns about his speed is definitely "big man syndrome"- He's got those long strides.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nothing outstanding, but then he isn't damaging our chances either.

Ya like Schenn used too. I heard he deflected one in his own net and was in the box for two more. That's rough.

Honestly Philly guy, it's early to tell but he was impressive. Going by just one game I could say we have guys in the AHL that could do what he did the other night. Hope Schenn works out for you guys, all the young guys Wilson screwed for that matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad