JvR

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
-_-

And let me guess; Luke Schenn is now Rob Blake, right?

Schenn is well, just Schenn. JVR is not living up to his 2nd overall draft position and is injury prone. Simple as that. I would have rather had Kyle Turris for Schenn!

onebighockeyfan

May 2, 2010
Yes, realists use 2 games to determine a players worth. Good thing real hockey people make their decisions based off of more than just a few games.

Yet if he plays the same for another two more games you'll be the first to throw him under the bus. But it's only 4 games. He looks bad so far. Hopefully he turns it up a notch. He was ike that with Philly though, except that one playoff hot streak.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
When I watched JVR in the playoffs a couple of years ago he seemed to be carrying the puck a lot on the rush and gaining the zone with his speed and size. I believe there is going to be a learning curve once the lines get hammered out. When he is with Kadri he will have to have his head on a swivel because the puck can be coming at any time. I say give the guy twenty games but I think he is going to be a good player for us. If Schenn was back there right now skating like a robot back wards and with both hands on his stick you guys would be complaining. No young player is perfect other than a handful.

Disgruntled Observer*

I love trying to imagine what a conversation like this would look like in real life, outside of the internet. Imagine just two people sitting on a couch after watching the game.

Person 1: I am worried about JVR.

Person 2: I am not worried.

Person 1: You don't look at the facts! I am a realist! You should change your opinion to be the same as mine! I never said anything about his overall worth. If he were playing incredible you would obviously be excited. Therefore, since human emotion is just like math, you have no choice other than to admit to being worried. If you were just a realist who looked at the FACTS! Are oh ehf elle! RAGEeee!

Person 2: *stunned silence*

That was a cute post and all...
but I'm simply pointing out that leaf fans would jump at the opportunity to express their excitement if a new player looked spectacular during his first two games.
So why is it so surprising that people are worried over a player that's looked invisible for his first two games as a leaf?

I'm sorry if these ideas are too 'complicated' for the dialogue typically spoken amongst you and your friends.

Maybe I can bring things down to you and your friends level.
Person 1 'jvr look bad'
Person 2 'jvr look good'
Person 1 'me no understand'
Person 2 'me want beer, you get'

Better?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Don't expect instant results from jvr. He's still a year or two away. Just sit back and watch him mature into a legit power forward.

Let's hope so. For once, maybe, another team gave up on a player too soon instead of us!

TheSilencer

Feb 5, 2010
Toronto
I was a big advocate of the trade and i still think it's gonna turn out good for us. It's not like Luke Schenn is lighting it up in Philly either. Perhaps we should break up the Grabo line and play JVR there? It's disappointing how invisible he has been.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You should never have had your expectations too high for JVR. He's a good player, not a great one.

the reason why the trade was a good one is because we managed to dump that useless plug Schenn and his contract, and get a decent player in return.

MajorityRules*

Yet if he plays the same for another two more games you'll be the first to throw him under the bus. But it's only 4 games. He looks bad so far. Hopefully he turns it up a notch. He was ike that with Philly though, except that one playoff hot streak.

Um, Not sure why you're quoting me? I'm not the one complaining about him. I'd rather make fun of the realist.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
That was a cute post and all...
but I'm simply pointing out that leaf fans would jump at the opportunity to express their excitement if a new player looked spectacular during his first two games.
So why is it so surprising that people are worried over a player that's looked invisible for his first two games as a leaf?

I'm sorry if these ideas are too 'complicated' for the dialogue typically spoken amongst you and your friends.

Maybe I can bring things down to you and your friends level.
Person 1 'jvr look bad'
Person 2 'jvr look good'
Person 1 'me no understand'
Person 2 'me want beer, you get'

Better?

I wasn't ever giving an opinion on JVR, and said nothing about fans being worried or excited or any of that. I was commenting on the overreactions and agressive debates that the internet seems to foster.

Sorry if I offended you. And thanks for your reply here, which is just another funny example. Just because I quoted you, I must be considered the enemy, and I must just be too stupid to understand you. Implying that me (and by extension, my friends) are not smart enough to use full sentences is a reasonable response.

balnky19*

Put him on a line with Grabo combine the speed with the finesse.
You see how he playes with Kadri give him a shot with the big guns

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
There was one moment last night where JVR gave us a glimpse of what we want from him. He went in on the forecheck and just crushed the guy with the puck against the boards, resulting in a loose puck on the inside of the circle. The Buffalo player was totally unprepared for how fast JVR came at him. The problem was that both the other Leafs forwards had already backed off the zone in anticipation of the Buffalo breakout.

I think he'll continue to improve, and his point production will rely heavily on his linemates being able to anticipate him making plays like that.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I watched the Philly/Pittsburgh game and Luke Schenn was noticeably awful. And that's not sour grapes, his shortcomings didn't just magically vanish after going to a better team. The Flyers are a good team but they leave Schenn just as exposed as the Leafs ever did.

tzinc

Oct 20, 2009
Leafs Nation
Welcome to reality JVR is not a very good player 50 games later it will be the same story. Burke was a bad judge of talent.

Syn3rgetic

Boats the Burn
Apr 10, 2010
Markham
Any speculation and evaluations on JVR is null due to small sample size. Give the kid time, honestly I don't think switching lines will do anything for him at the moment. He didn't score for two games. TWO GAMES. Relax folks. I'll revisit this thread at 10 games played.

DaveT83*

He needs to get more minutes. I want to see him on our 2nd line before I make any real judgements. Kulie appears to be the obvious choice to move down.

He's also nursing a sore foot. Lots of excuses already for JVR. Bottom line is that he's joining a new team. He should be reinvigorated. He should show some intensity. He's not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad