JVR - Kadri - Kulemin

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
kulumin is alot like jvr i presume

he has a big body, but he's not known for using the body

Knocking people over isn't the only way to use the body. In most other situations, they use their body just fine.

I agree, though, Kulie and JVR play similar roles, having both on one line would be redundant. Replace Kulemin with Grabo on the wing, and it wouldn't be a bad looking line.

12345*

Knocking people over isn't the only way to use the body. In most other situations, they use their body just fine.

I agree, though, Kulie and JVR play similar roles, having both on one line would be redundant. Replace Kulemin with Grabo on the wing, and it wouldn't be a bad looking line.

I would put em on the same line and play them against the other teams top line. Once they got puck possession, they could spend their shift cycling and wearing them down.

People underestimate the value of offensive cycling as a contributor to team defensive strategy. It kills the other team because often they are stuck on the ice for prolonged periods of time. One extremely long shift can decrease a players effectiveness for a long period of time.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
I'd love to trade Grabo for a 1C adding on to him, or for a top 10-15 pick. He is in the way of any offensive center like Kadri's way, as Kadri isn't a 3rd liner, nor is he able to start 1st line minutes. And yes, I'd rather Monahan over Barkov tbh.

Lupul-*1C*-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Frattin
*Prospect like Ross*-Bozak-Kulemin
Komarov-McClement-Brown
OR
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Frattin
*Ross*-*Colborne/Monahan*-Kulemin
Komarov-McClement-Brown
Stars are depending on circumstances like who performs well in training camp or who is acquired.

What, is that the case with JVR being #1 C also? What happened to that? Oh yes, they toned it down.. and if we can have a better offensive player on #1C, move Bozie to 3, then it makes our center depth a helluva lot more respectable.

So we move our most talented center in hope that Kadri can be just as good?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Kadri is proving to be a very good playmaker in the A. Why not give him a shot setting up a snipe like Kessel. I know that the line will be a little small and not spectacular at D but if they can pop a couple a game it doesn't really matter.

Lupul Kadri Kessel
JVR Grabo MacA
Frattin McClem Kulemin
Komorov Steckle Brown
Bozak

Snotbubbles

Oct 25, 2007
JvR is an absolute enigma.

Has all the tools to be a dominating foward. He just needs to get a mean streak in him. Most of the time, you can't even tell he's on the ice.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
I like it, but I like the idea of Kadri and Frattin playing together in the NHL as well.

Kulemin - Kadri - Frattin
Mac - Kadri - Frattin
JVR - Kadri - Frattin

I think any of them would be a pretty good sheltered scoring line. They would get little to no time against the other teams' top D as they would key in on Grabo and Kessel's lines first.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Doesn't Carlyle prefer a second line whose role is to shut other team's offense down leaving inferior opponents to his 3rd line guys?

Kulemin - Grabovski - Mac?
JVR - Kadri - Frattin

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
The thing I'm most excited about, is that by all accounts, Carlyle likes Kadri, and will give him a chance with the team. I'm pretty sure Wilson hated Nazem.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Let me begin by stating how happy I was when I first learned about getting JVR on the Leafs! What a beauty that kid is. Now, on to business. The following is a potential line combination that I believe would be a complete threat. I'll start off by defining each player with what they bring to the table.

LW analysis: At 6'3, 210 pounds, JVR is a big powerful winger with a great burst of speed who can take it to the net. Just his presence alone is enough to give this line "Danger" written all over it for the opposing team. Has the ability to give the goalie a hard time with screening, especially on the powerplay. Break-away speed, deceptive shot and passing ability with above average defensive coverage (at least when comparing to Lupul).

C analysis: At 6'0, 190 pounds, Nazem Kadri is a decent sized center, contrary to popular belief that he is under-sized. He has had to deal with balance and strength issues in the past, which has lead to that judgement. At this point, Nazem Kadri is a highly skilled forward who can make plays with ease in the offensive zone. He’s highly gifted with "touch". He also adds the dimension of being fearless on the ice which adds curiosity as to what kind of player he can actually become. There aren't many players with soft hands like his who bring that kind of edge to the table. While there have been some concerns regarding some of his decision making, his positives most definitely outweigh those negatives 3 years into his development after being drafted.

Rw analysis: At approximately 6'1, 210, Nikolai Kulemin has incredible strength that shows in his skate strides and balance. He's a strong skater with above average top speed. He will work very hard to get back into his zone, very responsible defensively, and like JVR, he drives hard towards the net and plays with intensity. Contains a heavy shot, big frame who plays the board battles and cycling game very well.

This was my attempt at defining each player for those that might not be all that certain. All in all, I'm fairly confident this line would provide a TON of goal scoring and a very good defensive side as well, led by Kulemin's 2 way play and hustle. The offence obviously would be unmatched in terms of creativity, led by Kadri. JVR should be able to finally take reigns on his potential, unleash it completely, and become the player he was meant to be by becoming a leader on this particular line. To me, this line screams chemistry.

Would love to hear all of your opinions on this potential line combination. Would chemistry be through the roof with this trio or what boys!

I like this post and the line you propose, I mentioned this a month ago however.

Kulemin who is not good enough to play with another #2C will no doubt cover up any of Kadri's defensive weaknesses as he has been doing for 3 years for the Leafs and in the KHL this year.

JVR and Kadri then can be freed up to use their offensive creativity. Nice #2 line, if there is a season this year.

Time to improve the top 6, and this is an improvement of what we had last year. Or atleast on paper it is.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
Yeah that is a nice analysis. However, Kulemin is closer to 225-230lbs! Him regaining his form from 2 years ago will be really important for this team.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I would put em on the same line and play them against the other teams top line. Once they got puck possession, they could spend their shift cycling and wearing them down.

People underestimate the value of offensive cycling as a contributor to team defensive strategy. It kills the other team because often they are stuck on the ice for prolonged periods of time. One extremely long shift can decrease a players effectiveness for a long period of time.

I agree that Kuli and JVR could be great together in cycling. To be truly dominant in the cycle game they'd need a center who also thrives at cycling. Unfortunately, that isn't something the Leafs have.

For even strength I think Grabo would be better with Kuli and JVR than Kadri. Grabo is more of a shoot first player than Grabo and having Kuli/Grabo together could create that extra little bit of room to give Grabo. Kadri is an amazing stickhandler and passer who I think would be best suited to play with a shooter whose best strength is teeing off one timers.

NaiveLeafsFan

Aug 29, 2010
Ajax, UofT
What's McClements season high totals? I remember them being like under 20 pts. You don't put that kind of a black hole on your 3rd line. Steckel is gone after this year and then we'll have Jay centre our 4th line

Heista18*

What's McClements season high totals? I remember them being like under 20 pts. You don't put that kind of a black hole on your 3rd line. Steckel is gone after this year and then we'll have Jay centre our 4th line

Completely agree with you. There's no way he's getting on the third. He'll be the 4th line center with brown and possibly ashton at this point.

Obviously he's also going to be used on the PK tons.

Heista18*

I like this post and the line you propose, I mentioned this a month ago however.

Kulemin who is not good enough to play with another #2C will no doubt cover up any of Kadri's defensive weaknesses as he has been doing for 3 years for the Leafs and in the KHL this year.

JVR and Kadri then can be freed up to use their offensive creativity. Nice #2 line, if there is a season this year.

Time to improve the top 6, and this is an improvement of what we had last year. Or atleast on paper it is.

Ty. Great minds must think alike ;).

Cheers bud.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011

I don't believe Kadri or JVR are well suited for that role. Use McClement or Steckel as center, and someone else other than JVR on the wing. I'd rather see JVR and Kadri as part of a pure offensive line, and not some hybrid offensive/checking one.

At this stage, Kulemin doesn't belong on the 2nd line. Atm, it takes two 1.5+ PPG players in a pond hockey league to get Kulie back to the 30 goal pace (don't care about his assists, as that's mostly the product of Malkin and Mozyakin) to match his career best in the NHL.

Razor

Say no to Luongo.
Jun 18, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I think at this stage we should at least give Kadri a shot at playing centre in the NHL. His chemistry with Frattin is amazing right now and if they keep it up I'd really like to see Kulemin-Kadri-Frattin on the 3rd line. Kulie can add that defensive presence while at the same time pick up his offensive game with two very talented players.

JVR-Grabo-Mac is a pretty solid 2nd line, all of them could score 20 goals easily.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Kulemin is not intense and does drive the net but without the puck which is the problem.

Jvr does drive the net with the puck though so i guess that works out

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I'd love to see these Lines

Lupul #1c Kessel
JVR Grabo Kuley
Komarov Kadri Frattin
Brown Mclement Steckle/Hamilton

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
\

Kulemin is playing with a #2 C again this year as he did several years ago.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/293314--kulemin-s-the-real-deal-king

The following is January 2011, the crash was later in the year.

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=92551

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad