JVR - Kadri - Kulemin

Heista18*

Let me begin by stating how happy I was when I first learned about getting JVR on the Leafs! What a beauty that kid is. Now, on to business. The following is a potential line combination that I believe would be a complete threat. I'll start off by defining each player with what they bring to the table.

LW analysis: At 6'3, 210 pounds, JVR is a big powerful winger with a great burst of speed who can take it to the net. Just his presence alone is enough to give this line "Danger" written all over it for the opposing team. Has the ability to give the goalie a hard time with screening, especially on the powerplay. Break-away speed, deceptive shot and passing ability with above average defensive coverage (at least when comparing to Lupul).

C analysis: At 6'0, 190 pounds, Nazem Kadri is a decent sized center, contrary to popular belief that he is under-sized. He has had to deal with balance and strength issues in the past, which has lead to that judgement. At this point, Nazem Kadri is a highly skilled forward who can make plays with ease in the offensive zone. He’s highly gifted with "touch". He also adds the dimension of being fearless on the ice which adds curiosity as to what kind of player he can actually become. There aren't many players with soft hands like his who bring that kind of edge to the table. While there have been some concerns regarding some of his decision making, his positives most definitely outweigh those negatives 3 years into his development after being drafted.

Rw analysis: At approximately 6'1, 210, Nikolai Kulemin has incredible strength that shows in his skate strides and balance. He's a strong skater with above average top speed. He will work very hard to get back into his zone, very responsible defensively, and like JVR, he drives hard towards the net and plays with intensity. Contains a heavy shot, big frame who plays the board battles and cycling game very well.

This was my attempt at defining each player for those that might not be all that certain. All in all, I'm fairly confident this line would provide a TON of goal scoring and a very good defensive side as well, led by Kulemin's 2 way play and hustle. The offence obviously would be unmatched in terms of creativity, led by Kadri. JVR should be able to finally take reigns on his potential, unleash it completely, and become the player he was meant to be by becoming a leader on this particular line. To me, this line screams chemistry.

Would love to hear all of your opinions on this potential line combination. Would chemistry be through the roof with this trio or what boys!

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
I would love to see this.

At the same time, Kadri and Frattin have shown phenomenal chemistry with the Marlies, so maybe replace Kulemin with Frattin, a big shooter who can finish more of Kadri's nifty passes. Kulemin can play on a line with Grabo.

As far as I'm concerned, Kadri and Frattin both need to be given full time spots on the big club and told to run with it. Macarthur, Connolly, Lombardi, and Steckel are all UFA's who should not be re-signed, opening up room for Kadri and Frattin, as well as perhaps a big name UFA signing.

Heista18*

I would love to see this.

At the same time, Kadri and Frattin have shown phenomenal chemistry with the Marlies, so maybe replace Kulemin with Frattin, a big shooter who can finish more of Kadri's nifty passes. Kulemin can play on a line with Grabo.

As far as I'm concerned, Kadri and Frattin both need to be given full time spots on the big club and told to run with it. Macarthur, Connolly, Lombardi, and Steckel are all UFA's who should not be re-signed, opening up room for Kadri and Frattin, as well as perhaps a big name UFA signing.

You're right. Honestly, I really thought about Frattin last night but I want to spread the skill and leave fratts on the third line for now. My main idea here is to keep the focus on two extremely offensive players, Kadri and JVR. I felt like kulemin would be a perfect compliment.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
What do your other lines look like? Do you have Grabo centring Kessel and Lupul on the 1st line? Or would you have Bozak centring Kessel and Lupul, this as the 2nd line, and Grabo on the 3rd line? Grabo is our best centre, and arguably our best even strength forward (top 3 along with Kessel and Lupul at the very least), I don't think it makes much sense to put him on the 3rd line.

*IF* Kadri makes the team, and *IF* we play him as a centre, then I personally feel something like this would be a better option:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Mac
Kulemin - Kadri - Frattin
??? - McClement - Brown

The first line is proven to be dynamite offensively, the 2nd line has the potential to be very good, and the 3rd line would be pretty damn solid if the chemistry is there. It's not a classic "top 6/bottom 6" lineup, but most good team are rolling 3 offensive lines now anyways, and Kulemin and Frattin are both solid 2-way players for the 3rd line. This lineup would likely mean we'd waive/trade Connolly, Lombardi and Steckel, but I'd be fine with that.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
It definitely has the potential to be a good line. Although like said before, I'd rather keep Kadri and Frattin together. I'd also prefer to keep the Mac-Grabo-Kuley line together and see if they can regain that golden chemistry they had once upon a time. Maybe something along these lines..

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Mac-Grabovski-Kulemin
JVR-Kadri-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Brown
Steckel

Then dump the bottlenecks like Lombardi, Connolly etc
It will sucks for our PK losing Connolly, but I'm sure McClement will replace him rather easily.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
What do your other lines look like? Do you have Grabo centring Kessel and Lupul on the 1st line? Or would you have Bozak centring Kessel and Lupul, this as the 2nd line, and Grabo on the 3rd line? Grabo is our best centre, and arguably our best even strength forward (top 3 along with Kessel and Lupul at the very least), I don't think it makes much sense to put him on the 3rd line.

*IF* Kadri makes the team, and *IF* we play him as a centre, then I personally feel something like this would be a better option:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Mac
Kulemin - Kadri - Frattin
??? - McClement - Brown

The first line is proven to be dynamite offensively, the 2nd line has the potential to be very good, and the 3rd line would be pretty damn solid if the chemistry is there. It's not a classic "top 6/bottom 6" lineup, but most good team are rolling 3 offensive lines now anyways, and Kulemin and Frattin are both solid 2-way players for the 3rd line. This lineup would likely mean we'd waive/trade Connolly, Lombardi and Steckel, but I'd be fine with that.

Yeah, this makes more sense. Though, I'd be interested to try Grabo in between Kessel and Lupul. Wouldn't surprise me to see it click, but overall the line is too small.

Heista18*

Yeah, this makes more sense. Though, I'd be interested to try Grabo in between Kessel and Lupul. Wouldn't surprise me to see it click, but overall the line is too small.

? Not at all. I'm baffled that you just said that line is too small. First off, it isn't. Second of all, even if they were all small, you need minds that can think the game and click chemistry for success, not size.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
? Not at all. I'm baffled that you just said that line is too small. First off, it isn't. Second of all, even if they were all small, you need minds that can think the game and click chemistry for success, not size.
Pretty sure he was referring to a Lupul-Grabo-Kessel line

Grabovski- Height 5.11 -- Weight 182lbs
Kessel- Height 6.00 -- Weight 202lbs
Lupul-Height: 6.1 -- Weight: 206lbs

Heista18*

Pretty sure he was referring to a Lupul-Grabo-Kessel line

Grabovski- Height 5.11 -- Weight 182lbs
Kessel- Height 6.00 -- Weight 202lbs
Lupul-Height: 6.1 -- Weight: 206lbs

ohh I see. Even if that's the case. Replace Bozak with grabo and there isn't much difference. Again, it's not size that will make a line score.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I've brought up the idea of having a JVR-Kadri-Kulemin line the past couple of weeks. Nice to see other people agree with me on this. :handclap:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
First of all, Kulemin is closer to 230 than 210. Second, Kadri will never ever succeed in the NHL as a center. Mostly because he sucks.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
First of all, Kulemin is closer to 230 than 210. Second, Kadri will never ever succeed in the NHL as a center. Mostly because he sucks.

:laugh:

Kadri's been looking really good at C in the AHL these past couple months. Not sure if he'll be able to translate it to the NHL, but this is a bit of a jump...

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Don't like Kadri at C.

A: How good is he at faceoffs?
B: I dont think his defense ability is good enough.

have nothing to do with size, he is much more suited for the wing, a playmaking sort of winger.

Kadri-Mcclement-Frattin is a great 3rd line though.
or Kadri-Mcclement-Kule(solid mix of offense/defense)

or Kadri-Grabo-JVR(2nd line)

Kadri is a skilled player, very NHL ready if you put him on a defensive line with a goal-scorer.

Kadri-Bozak-Frattin would be an ideal 3rd line, I'd try that at the start with connolly taking 1st line duty(no idea where he or lombardi will be otherwise.)

He deserves a spot on the lineup, he has solid playmaking ability and can be a gamechanger from time to time.(plus we've never givin him more than say 10 game stints, he has to build chemistry!)

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Don't like Kadri at C.

A: How good is he at faceoffs?
B: I dont think his defense ability is good enough.

have nothing to do with size, he is much more suited for the wing, a playmaking sort of winger.

Kadri-Mcclement-Frattin is a great 3rd line though.
or Kadri-Mcclement-Kule(solid mix of offense/defense)

or Kadri-Grabo-JVR(2nd line)

Kadri is a skilled player, very NHL ready if you put him on a defensive line with a goal-scorer.

Kadri-Bozak-Frattin would be an ideal 3rd line, I'd try that at the start with connolly taking 1st line duty(no idea where he or lombardi will be otherwise.)

He deserves a spot on the lineup, he has solid playmaking ability and can be a gamechanger from time to time.(plus we've never givin him more than say 10 game stints, he has to build chemistry!)
Kadri has shown this year and in the past that he's best at Centre. Why move him when he plays best at a certain position? Every year he's also been getting better in his defensive game. He's still not great at it but he's showing improvements. Faceoffs could easily be improved too. I'm hoping that he's getting a lot of faceoff experience in the AHL right now.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
For those people, puting McClement on the 4th line, know that it is widely believed he is our 3rd line centre and I remember Carlyle was really excited about it.

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kadri
Kulemin-McClement-Frattin
Brown-Steckel-Komarov

That would be my ideal lineup and trade Mac,Lombardi,Connolly for futures.

Badger Mayhew*

Ideally we would draft Barkov and sign Perry. Giving us:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Van-Riemsdyk-Kadri-Perry
Kulemin-Barkov-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Brown

Scary.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Ideally we would draft Barkov and sign Perry. Giving us:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Van-Riemsdyk-Kadri-Perry
Kulemin-Barkov-Frattin
Komarov-McClement-Brown

Scary.

The only thing I don't like is Bozak still being our #1 Centre. I sort of want Sean Monahan in the draft even though Barkov is projected higher. But either is good. I assume we trade Grabo for a top 10 pick?

Leafs For Life*

I'd love to trade Grabo for a 1C adding on to him, or for a top 10-15 pick. He is in the way of any offensive center like Kadri's way, as Kadri isn't a 3rd liner, nor is he able to start 1st line minutes. And yes, I'd rather Monahan over Barkov tbh.

Lupul-*1C*-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Frattin
*Prospect like Ross*-Bozak-Kulemin
Komarov-McClement-Brown
OR
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Kadri-Frattin
*Ross*-*Colborne/Monahan*-Kulemin
Komarov-McClement-Brown
Stars are depending on circumstances like who performs well in training camp or who is acquired.
For those people, puting McClement on the 4th line, know that it is widely believed he is our 3rd line centre and I remember Carlyle was really excited about it.
What, is that the case with JVR being #1 C also? What happened to that? Oh yes, they toned it down.. and if we can have a better offensive player on #1C, move Bozie to 3, then it makes our center depth a helluva lot more respectable.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kadri
Kulemin-McClement-Frattin
Brown-Steckel-Komarov

That would be my ideal lineup and trade Mac,Lombardi,Connolly for futures.

you forgot a few players that will be signed by the leafs

perry-getzlaf-kessel
jvr-grabo-kadri
kulimun-mcClement-frattin
komarov-bozak-brown

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
you forgot a few players that will be signed by the leafs

perry-getzlaf-kessel
jvr-grabo-kadri
komarov-bozak-brown

I am assuming you forgot our draftees as well.

perry-getzlaf-kessel
jvr-Mackinnon-kadri
komarov-Steckel-brown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->