JVR done as a Leaf?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think he will be used as trade bait for a top RHD. Either a top pick to select a RHD or straight up for one.

No rush to move him this summer. Still two more years until he becomes a UFA.

They don't want to add another D man who has to be protected in the expansion draft to a club that won't likely be challenging for the playoffs for at least 2 years.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I said it was the base. Hamonic is damn good and Kules offers size and some skill. Then ask for a pick on top.

Rielly Hamonic Gardiner Zaitsev Carrick ------ sounds like a legit group to me.

The Isles want another significant D back in any deal so that would be Gardiner +. Also JVR doesn't get you Hamonic straight across.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
They don't want to add another D man who has to be protected in the expansion draft to a club that won't likely be challenging for the playoffs for at least 2 years.

:biglaugh::biglaugh: oh really now?

heh just watch

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Any D with less than 2 professional seasons would not need to be protected. As of right now Rielly and Gardiner are the only worthy candidates. Zaitsev is exempt.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
The Isles want another significant D back in any deal so that would be Gardiner +. Also JVR doesn't get you Hamonic straight across.

JVR still has untapped upside IMO, might never come to fruition in Toronto but we have the pieces now to maximize his potential at some point- once our young guys get some experience under their wing. I see a really good symbiotic relationship that can occur with JVR on a line with whoever it may be between Marner, Nylander, Matthews. These players need some insulation.

As for Hamonic, I think his play is peaking at this point to an extent. i.e. His value is near its peak (one of the reasons why I didn't want to move Gardiner last year, who I always had complete faith in- because there's no point selling an asset like him low). As for his value, I may agree with you that he has more than JVR simply due to his absolute steal of a contract.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Any D with less than 2 professional seasons would not need to be protected. As of right now Rielly and Gardiner are the only worthy candidates. Zaitsev is exempt.

i'm willing to bet that one of

carrick
marincin
harrington
carrado
percy

will have us wishing we had 1 more D protection slot by the end of next season.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
who has identified him as such? This board? Lol. Definitely not the current leaf brass

He will be looking for a big pay day. Frankly his work ethic has been u0 and down his entire career, hence why he was traded straight up for Luke schenn.....

What exactly has management done to indicate he's not in their future plans?

Answer: nothing

There were many warning signs with Phil Kessel particularly his fighting with the coaching staff and poor conditioning habits. Haven't seen any of that with JVR.

If JVR scores 40 goals next season alongside Mathews he should get a pay day.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
MRW I'm readin this thread
giphy.gif

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

So if they add another quality D man then Carrick is exposed. I guess I am maybe guilty of being too attached to him base on a pretty limited sample of play. But consider the fourth best defenseman on stronger clubs. If there are a number of teams forced to start moving those players a year from now, doesn't it make sense to dive into the market then rather than paying "full retail" this summer. Bulk up the lineup now just in time to have to go through an expansion draft. Why pay a premium for skaters when they are preparing to go through a season with Bernier as #1?

nogutsnoglory

Oct 6, 2011
What exactly has management done to indicate he's not in their future plans?

Answer: nothing

There were many warning signs with Phil Kessel particularly his fighting with the coaching staff and poor conditioning habits. Haven't seen any of that with JVR.

If JVR scores 40 goals next season alongside Mathews he should get a pay day.
He is part of the old guard , which is something the mgmt has indicated is not part of the future.

JVR will peAK while this team is still developing if he's resigned.

It looks like the leafs will have lot of top 6 talent coming up and everything else that has been said.

I'd go out on a limb and say his chance of signing another contract in Toronto is next to nil.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
I don't think he is done. He can be very useful for the Leafs. Babcock will use him to protect Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Brown, Kapanen etc.

JvR is a solid, solid player and he can be our Hossa down the road!

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
JVR still has untapped upside IMO, might never come to fruition in Toronto but we have the pieces now to maximize his potential at some point- once our young guys get some experience under their wing. I see a really good symbiotic relationship that can occur with JVR on a line with whoever it may be between Marner, Nylander, Matthews. These players need some insulation.

As for Hamonic, I think his play is peaking at this point to an extent. i.e. His value is near its peak (one of the reasons why I didn't want to move Gardiner last year, who I always had complete faith in- because there's no point selling an asset like him low). As for his value, I may agree with you that he has more than JVR simply due to his absolute steal of a contract.

RHD on a cheap contract and having a great year and a great playoff. Harmonic is at his peak career value right now but he has basically said trade trade me to western Canada. It appears family related and he is from Winnipeg so it seems Jets, Oilers, or Flames. I don't see Calgary in the market for him so a pretty narrow market. Eastern Canada may as well be NYI .

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
He is part of the old guard , which is something the mgmt has indicated is not part of the future.

JVR will peAK while this team is still developing if he's resigned.

It looks like the leafs will have lot of top 6 talent coming up and everything else that has been said.

I'd go out on a limb and say his chance of signing another contract in Toronto is next to nil.

Kadri was part of the "old guard" and management just signed him for 6 years so that's really a meaningless statement.

Just to be clear Mathews is just one player taking up 1 roster spot not 5 so there is no need to clear cap or roster space. There's still room in the top 3 lines.

Last edited:

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
too valuable to the team when we can actually compete.

We can trade him, but then we'll just be trying to trade for another JVR. I think he has to stay. I also dont think we've seen his best years yet. Once there is a real team moving forward, we can actually use him better

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
We will have a surplus of wingers in the next 2-3 years but that doesn't mean JvR is gone just yet. He is our #1 LW and with his current contract and what he brings to the table, his value is something few teams could offer up.

We definitely have an interesting situation going into camp next year with forwards and by no means is this a roster projections or line combinations but rather as they came to mind:
JvR - Kadri - Komarov
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Greening** - Bozak - Laich
Soshnikov - Marner*** - Brown**
Leivo** - Leipsic** - Kapanen**
Michalek* - Holland* - Lupul*
Froese - Lindberg**

Rielly - Hunwick
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Marincin - Corrado
Harrington** - Carrick
Nielsen** - Dermott***
Percy** - Campbell**
Brennan** - Loov**

FA signing
Bernier
Sparks
Bibeau
Filip Gustavsson :naughty:

*probably get Robidas treatment or will not be with team by trade or buyout
**be sent to AHL/traded unless they prove otherwise
***junior eligible

This is a good and a bad thing. Creates competition but you are also left with exposing players with potential on waivers when it comes to our forward depth.

IF JvR were to get traded, I believe it would have to be for RHD. We are thin on D in regards to depth and having 6 full-time NHL D.

Last edited:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
too valuable to the team when we can actually compete.

We can trade him, but then we'll just be trying to trade for another JVR. I think he has to stay. I also dont think we've seen his best years yet. Once there is a real team moving forward, we can actually use him better

They might just be adding him back in a couple of years rather than keeping him through a build. They won't be taking a Cup run during his current deal and they might have a different look and different needs in a couple of years too. They might have better places to spend their money by then. Keep him to insulate Matthews or Nylander if they think he would be good for that, but not because they would just have to add him back in a couple of years. And he might not re-sign after this deal anyway.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Now that we have a #1 C, we're going to see the true value of JVR.

If we trade him we're going to need a player who does everything he does. Only would consider trading him if we can land a top pick and select Tkachuk, who plays a similar PF game

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Why are most Leaf fans void of the concept of team depth? This is a good thing. Let's leave it alone until we need to.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
He's a young but experienced top 6 winger with size and we haven't even seen how he'll mesh with our recently acquired embarrassment of riches (Nylander, Marner, Matthews). Even if we do trade him, it certainly won't be this off season when his value is still low coming off the last place finish and injury riddled season. I'd expect the Leafs to bolster his value with top line minutes alongside one of Nylander or Matthews which should increase his point production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad