JVR done as a Leaf?

CdnFan

Apr 9, 2016
At this point, I'd wager that the TML keeps JVR as Stamkos is not going to want to be the only veteran on the squad.

The only alternative being trading JVR for another player in the same age bracket, but I just don't see him being traded for another draft pick.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
So did Eichel. I would be surprised if they don't play Matthews at center. But would Babcock roll with two rookies centers? His remarks about preferring to have started with Nylander on the wing suggest not. So Willie moves to Kadri's wing? I think we might have to wait until after the draft to get a straight answer on that from Babcock.

A lot depends on Stamkos and the assumption he wants to pay the middle. If that's the case, you got Stamkos at 1C, and you probably keep Kadri at 2C to start the season. I would then rotate Nylander and Matthews as a 3C, while the other plays top 6 on the wall. Eventually you probably just get Nylander to be a winger, and likely Naz drops to the 3 hole.

If no Stamkos then I would do a similar rotation between Matthews and Nylander on the second line. If both can play the centre position effectively, again look to eventually drop Naz to 3C. To me Matthews is the more natural centre and needs to get in work in that position, even if he struggles out of the gate. Nylander always struck me more as a winger, but if he's better than Naz at C, then great, we're set at the position for years to come.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Not really.

Our management group is all about insulating young players. There's no reason to cast that type of pressure on him when it's not a necessity. Start Nylander at centre given the experience he has. Matthews will get his opportunities during the year.

Matthews is a different level player though. McDavid was point a game in the middle, not saying Matthews does that, but he should be able to handle the responsibility. I can't see management looking to shelter him for the sake of sheltering him.

Could he play some games on the wing, yeah. But the focus should be get him in the middle as soon as possible. He's not a 5th overall pick

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Matthews is a different level player though. McDavid was point a game in the middle, not saying Matthews does that, but he should be able to handle the responsibility. I can't see management looking to shelter him for the sake of sheltering him.

Could he play some games on the wing, yeah. But the focus should be get him in the middle as soon as possible. He's not a 5th overall pick

That he might be... but at the end of the day, there's absolutely no reason to rush him to the middle of the ice. There's lots of reasons to keep him on the wing though.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
That he might be... but at the end of the day, there's absolutely no reason to rush him to the middle of the ice. There's lots of reasons to keep him on the wing though.

the reasons are basically assuming he cant handle the role. If he really is going to be an elite player, he doesnt need to be babied.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Actually no. When we're ready to compete for the cup, those guys will not play the Hossa/Sharp role of complimentary veteran to our core. Every successful playoff team needs those 28-35 year old veterans who can provide the mature leadership for the playoffs. JVR and Komarov could be those guys. Look at a team like SJ. Pavelski and Burns have only really broken out at an older age than the current JVR. Not to mention JVR has the size we need in the top-6.

Seriously, we have a fantastic young core and all of a sudden people want us to trade everyone older than 25. JVR is the easiest way to land a top-4 D but he's certainly not the only way to do it.

The best thing about JVR is his contract. But it only has two years left.

Personally, I think JVR is the best trade chip we have to put in a deal to address our need for a top pairing or at least top 3 quality Dman.

However, maybe it ends up being a few quality pieces like a 1st rounder, non-elite youngsters but darn good prospects like Brown, Timashov or Kapanen.

If it's not JVR we're going to have to give up some pieces people won't want to sacrifice.

Pieces like Bozak or Holland or less prospects Leivo, Harrington, Percy, etc. simply don't have enough value to get the type of Dman we need.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I think the Leafs are betting off keeping JVR at least for now. I think his value would be higher during the season if he stays healthy and has a good one.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
the reasons are basically assuming he cant handle the role. If he really is going to be an elite player, he doesnt need to be babied.

At 19 years old, no, he's likely not capable of handling the role, as part of that role's responsibility includes getting us to the playoffs.

If we want him to be an elite player, we'll need to be sure he's put in an environment to succeed.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Unless an unbelievable deal comes along, I doubt they move JVR. He is big, fast, great hands and on a very good contract. He is also one of our only vets that is a legit top 6 forward. We need him right now.

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
A lot depends on Stamkos and the assumption he wants to pay the middle. If that's the case, you got Stamkos at 1C, and you probably keep Kadri at 2C to start the season. I would then rotate Nylander and Matthews as a 3C, while the other plays top 6 on the wall. Eventually you probably just get Nylander to be a winger, and likely Naz drops to the 3 hole.

If no Stamkos then I would do a similar rotation between Matthews and Nylander on the second line. If both can play the centre position effectively, again look to eventually drop Naz to 3C. To me Matthews is the more natural centre and needs to get in work in that position, even if he struggles out of the gate. Nylander always struck me more as a winger, but if he's better than Naz at C, then great, we're set at the position for years to come.

If they are signing Stamkos than Naz is moved to wing or traded. Stamkos Matthews Nylander are the 3 centers. Bozak and Kadri are gone. Is Stamkos is not signed than keep Kadri as top line center for this season and trade next off season. Either way Bozak has no spot on this team.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
If they are signing Stamkos than Naz is moved to wing or traded. Stamkos Matthews Nylander are the 3 centers. Bozak and Kadri are gone. Is Stamkos is not signed than keep Kadri as top line center for this season and trade next off season. Either way Bozak has no spot on this team.

Doubtful.

If Stamkos were to sign here, long term, he likely pans out as a winger assuming Nylander and Matthews reach their potential.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Don't look now but we may have just acquired a top-4 D without moving JVR. Turns out trading away our only big top-6 winger isn't the only option...

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
At 19 years old, no, he's likely not capable of handling the role, as part of that role's responsibility includes getting us to the playoffs.

If we want him to be an elite player, we'll need to be sure he's put in an environment to succeed.

Eventually get to the playoffs. I don't think many are expecting it right away. McDavid didn't lead Edmonton to playoffs, but he was still an effective centre.

Matthews will succeed because he's an elite player.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Why would you move Nazzy to the wing? They signed him to a deal where if he's your 3rd centre, you're not upset about that money. We have TONS of wingers with potential to play with Stamkos, Matthews, and Kadri. Assuming Matthews pans out, Naz as a 3C actually sounds like contender.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
many good reasons to keep jvr.

with stamkos:

jvr-stamkos-?
nylander-matthews-?
komorov-kadri-soshnikov

without stamkos

jvr-matthews-?
nylander-kadri-?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Don't look now but we may have just acquired a top-4 D without moving JVR. Turns out trading away our only big top-6 winger isn't the only option...

Who knows what Zaitsev will become. Even if he ends up top 4, we still need at least one more top TWO to be a contender. If JVR could land us a 2-3 guy, it would be worth it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I figured out a deal that may work.

Hamonic, Kulemin for JVR

As a base.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If I'm trading the best player in the deal, why am I taking back extra money? Especially in the form of a fourth line winger making second line money?

I said it was the base. Hamonic is damn good and Kules offers size and some skill. Then ask for a pick on top.

Rielly Hamonic Gardiner Zaitsev Carrick ------ sounds like a legit group to me.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I said it was the base. Hamonic is damn good and Kules offers size and some skill. Then ask for a pick on top.

Rielly Hamonic Gardiner Zaitsev Carrick ------ sounds like a legit group to me.

I like Travis Hamonic. I fail to see a material improvement in the team's talent level, and most certainly don't see a reason for the incremental salary expense with that trade. Nik Kulemin has negative trade value.

If you want to go one for one, that's a base.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I like Travis Hamonic. I fail to see a material improvement in the team's talent level, and most certainly don't see a reason for the incremental salary expense with that trade. Nik Kulemin has negative trade value.

If you want to go one for one, that's a base.

Not opposed to Hamonic +pick/prospect for JVR. I am not arguing with you, I just feel that this could be a fit.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I think he will be used as trade bait for a top RHD. Either a top pick to select a RHD or straight up for one.

No rush to move him this summer. Still two more years until he becomes a UFA.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think he will be used as trade bait for a top RHD. Either a top pick to select a RHD or straight up for one.

Peak value is now. No NTC. Once NTC is active half the teams who could bid for him are off the table.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

We just signed a top rhd in Zaitsev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad