JVR done as a Leaf?

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I'm don't neccesarily disagree but, please enlighten me, when exactly was JVR "clearly" identified as part of the core of this team and by who? I'm not being sarcastic, I genuinely want to know because, apparently, I missed this.

You can never be certain until they extend him like they did with Kadri and Rielly. However it's highly unlikely they would shut him down with 20 games left in the season unless a) they thought it would hurt the team and help the tank or b) they're trying to preserve his health for next season and beyond

Both A and B suggest the leafs view JVR as an asset going forward. And why not? He's got a great size and skill package and could mentor a fellow American like Mathews in the Toronto market.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
if Marner & Mathews make the the Leafs, they will not be playing bottom 6.So 2 players on the top 2 lines will be moved,it's just a matter of time.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
if Marner & Mathews make the the Leafs, they will not be playing bottom 6.So 2 players on the top 2 lines will be moved,it's just a matter of time.

I could see them both getting power play time and being sheltered with third line match ups, not necessarily together. Or we could just throw them both with JVR and call it our first line for years to come, but play them as our second this year. Then start figuring out who Nylander will work with.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
McDavid plays centre. Matthews should too.

Not really.

Our management group is all about insulating young players. There's no reason to cast that type of pressure on him when it's not a necessity. Start Nylander at centre given the experience he has. Matthews will get his opportunities during the year.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
You can never be certain until they extend him like they did with Kadri and Rielly. However it's highly unlikely they would shut him down with 20 games left in the season unless a) they thought it would hurt the team and help the tank or b) they're trying to preserve his health for next season and beyond

Both A and B suggest the leafs view JVR as an asset going forward. And why not? He's got a great size and skill package and could mentor a fellow American like Mathews in the Toronto market.

They shut him down because he fractured his foot and then had a medical relapse. Given these conditions, I would say it's highly likely that they would shut him down.

The team would preserve his health whether they were planning on letting him play next season or whether they were thinking of moving him. This doesn't indicate, in any way, that they want him long term.

I'm sorry but I think you are reaching here. Nothing you mentioned suggests that they view JVR as an asset going forward. I'm not saying they don't but nothing here is confirmation, as you suggested in your OP. You are just speculating, which is fine but don't make it seem like management has endorsed your view.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
They shut him down because he fractured his foot and then had a medical relapse. Given these conditions, I would say it's highly likely that they would shut him down.

The team would preserve his health whether they were planning on letting him play next season or whether they were thinking of moving him. This doesn't indicate, in any way, that they want him long term.

I'm sorry but I think you are reaching here. Nothing you mentioned suggests that they view JVR as an asset going forward. I'm not saying they don't but nothing here is confirmation, as you suggested in your OP. You are just speculating, which is fine but don't make it seem like management has endorsed your view.

actually during the leafs scoring drought before the recall of nylander and co. babs said you need to score to win and the only scorer we had broke his foot aka jvr...

as well for the guy who said matthews wont play center because nylander proved himself...sorry i think you are way off..either both will play center or nylander will be the wing UNLESS matthews really pisses babs off in camp and pre season and shows he isnt ready and for a kid that played and smashed the swiss league against men at 18yrs old i highly highly doubt matthews would not start at center

the only clear thing right now is the leafs have moves to make...so now we wait for the draft then itll be more clear then what we need, then the ufa market opens say we get stammer then what? we have good problems so lets enjoy it

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
also whats the rush..like another poster said..so now we have matthews (laine) so that means cut jvr...theres no rush to get ALL the kids up right now..we will ice the best chance to win. Yes babs said hyman and sosh were here to stay and nylander HOWEVER both have things to learn and jvr is at the moment better than both..though hyman and sosh are different type players than jvr. In any case theres no rush...and again lets enjoy this and I think most of us would agree we are in good hands with shanny mark lou babs

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
also whats the rush..like another poster said..so now we have matthews (laine) so that means cut jvr...theres no rush to get ALL the kids up right now..we will ice the best chance to win. Yes babs said hyman and sosh were here to stay and nylander HOWEVER both have things to learn and jvr is at the moment better than both..though hyman and sosh are different type players than jvr. In any case theres no rush...and again lets enjoy this and I think most of us would agree we are in good hands with shanny mark lou babs

Even without JVR we have a ton of wingers.

Young players:
Soshnikov
Hyman
Marner
Nylander (I can see him going on the wing for a bit)
Brown

Vets:
Komarov
Greening
Michalek
Lupul (if he's back)

I would personally trade JVR as we have enough veteran guys and enough guys with size to place throughout the lineup. Plus, by the time this team sees a lot of improvement his contract is going to be up and he'll be looking for huge money as a 29-year-old. There's no rush but I would definitely move him.

I think you roll with something like:

Sosh - Kadri - Komarov
Michalek - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Bozak - Marner
Greening - Froese - Laich

It doesn't look very good but it has a balance of veterans and young players. Once Matthews establishes himself, I think Bozak gets dealt and Nylander can move back to centre. The Kadri line remains our top/shutdown line.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

Playing devils advocate let's say management despises JVR and wants him off the team. Who exactly would replace him on the wing?

Big speedy wingers with soft hands don't exactly grow on trees.

The fact of the matter is that the leafs NEED a player like JVR on the team. When you factor in his cheap contract any manager who dumps him is functioning on ego alone. Lou and Shanny just aren't that dumb.

The only conceivable situation where JVR gets traded is for a #1 D man. Nothing else makes sense at this point.

If Babs wants him in the lineup then he's not going anywhere.

nogutsnoglory

Oct 6, 2011
There's no chance JVR stays around because why on earth would he want to play with a superstar like Auston Mathews who inflates his goal totals? :sarcasm:

Being on a power play with Nylander, Mathews, Marner and Rielly is just too depressing for him. Obviously time to move on.

I should have wooded it differently. JVR will not be offered a contract to his liking. He has tremendous trade value with his current contract and age and doubtful he is in the future plans long term.

nogutsnoglory

Oct 6, 2011
This entire thread falls under the category of "the leafs aren't allowed to have nice things" so if we bring in a star like Mathews we must eject a quality player to make room.

However since Mathews will be making peanuts on an entry level contract this is entirely unnecessary to free cap space. Not to mention the fact that it's very difficult to find a replacement winger with his size and skill package.

JVR has clearly been identified along with Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner and Komarov as being part of the core of this team. Core pieces don't get moved unless there is a critical cap crunch.
who has identified him as such? This board? Lol. Definitely not the current leaf brass

He will be looking for a big pay day. Frankly his work ethic has been u0 and down his entire career, hence why he was traded straight up for Luke schenn.....

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Playing devils advocate let's say management despises JVR and wants him off the team. Who exactly would replace him on the wing?

The fact of the matter is that the leafs NEED a player like JVR on the team. When you factor in his cheap contract any manager who dumps him is functioning on ego alone. Lou and Shanny just aren't that dumb.

The only conceivable situation where JVR gets traded is for a #1 D man. Nothing else makes sense at this point.

don't rule out JVR in a package for a tender IF a expansion draft forces other teams hand.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

I'd rather keep JVR, if possible. My only issue with your OP is that you said it's been confirmed that JVR is part of the future. It hasn't and him staying is not written in stone at this point.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
actually during the leafs scoring drought before the recall of nylander and co. babs said you need to score to win and the only scorer we had broke his foot aka jvr...
as well for the guy who said matthews wont play center because nylander proved himself...sorry i think you are way off..either both will play center or nylander will be the wing UNLESS matthews really pisses babs off in camp and pre season and shows he isnt ready and for a kid that played and smashed the swiss league against men at 18yrs old i highly highly doubt matthews would not start at center

the only clear thing right now is the leafs have moves to make...so now we wait for the draft then itll be more clear then what we need, then the ufa market opens say we get stammer then what? we have good problems so lets enjoy it

That doesn't confirm the he will definitely be a part of the future, which was the whole reason I wrote the post. Obviously the team would like to keep him, if possible, but until they extend him or give us an actual statement indicating he will be with us going forward, then nothing is for sure.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I've heard he's not happy so wouldn't be surprised

Would like to see him with nylander but wouldn't be shocked

Jvr to Minny for their pick. Pomm and conditional pick or something

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'm don't neccesarily disagree but, please enlighten me, when exactly was JVR "clearly" identified as part of the core of this team and by who? I'm not being sarcastic, I genuinely want to know because, apparently, I missed this.

The only thing that makes me think he is thought of as a core player is when it was close to the trade deadline friedman reported:
You know, Van Riemsdyk, I think other teams would love to get their hands on him. I've had a couple of teams tell me that they've asked and been told he's not available.
Also
"Based on comments Lamoriello made in that interview," Friedman said, "the price is extremely high for Kadri. If you want to take him off his hands, it's really going to cost you."
makes it more telling as naz now has a long term deal.
This doesn't mean they won't trade him in the final year of his contract, but it does make me think he is highly valued.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I've heard he's not happy so wouldn't be surprised

Would like to see him with nylander but wouldn't be shocked

Jvr to Minny for their pick. Pomm and conditional pick or something

Do you have a source for this? Or, at the very least, any reason why he wouldn't be?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
So did Eichel. I would be surprised if they don't play Matthews at center. But would Babcock roll with two rookies centers? His remarks about preferring to have started with Nylander on the wing suggest not. So Willie moves to Kadri's wing? I think we might have to wait until after the draft to get a straight answer on that from Babcock.

"There will be pain"
Willie has more nhl experience at centre, and more pro experience at centre. Personally I think they both start at centre. Mathews winged by lupul and bozak will work. Willie gets jvr and greening if he can repeat what he was doing here.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
The only thing that makes me think he is thought of as a core player is when it was close to the trade deadline friedman reported: Also makes it more telling as naz now has a long term deal.
This doesn't mean they won't trade him in the final year of his contract, but it does make me think he is highly valued.

Those things may suggest he is valued but doesn't confirm anything. I may be arguing semantics but I just have a problem with people saying something is "confirmed", when it's not. If it was actually confirmed, then there would be no need for this discussion except to dream.:)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Those things may suggest he is valued but doesn't confirm anything. I may be arguing semantics but I just have a problem with people saying something is "confirmed", when it's not. If it was actually confirmed, then there would be no need for this discussion except to dream.:)

I agree. The only confirmation will be when/if he is extended.
All we have right now is a player management values. This all gets reevaluated at the end of his contract.
What the report from friedman makes me think is we won't be trading him in the summer, unless it's an offer we can't refuse.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
I don't know why people are penciling Marner in on the first line. Expect him to be sheltered when he does make the team, which frankly we don't know yet if he will. We suspect it, but if anything managment has said the exact opposite so who knows.

Regarding JVR, I think he's worth keeping. Big guy, American like Matthews, and a veteran. Why expunge our stabilizers, our mentors? And managment loves him. And he has some good hockey left in him. And his cap hit is very reasonable.

I expect him to be on Matthews' wing next season, likely 2nd line. For now...

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I wouldn't trade JvR for a pick. It has to be a sure thing. We didn't get that in Kessel trade but we did get Kapanen who has a decent AHL year considering he is 19.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't know why people are penciling Marner in on the first line. Expect him to be sheltered when he does make the team, which frankly we don't know yet if he will. We suspect it, but if anything managment has said the exact opposite so who knows.

Regarding JVR, I think he's worth keeping. Big guy, American like Matthews, and a veteran. Why expunge our stabilizers, our mentors? And managment loves him. And he has some good hockey left in him. And his cap hit is very reasonable.

I expect him to be on Matthews' wing next season, likely 2nd line. For now...

Babcock runs 3 even lines so while he may be on the 'first line', he'll probably get the lower end minutes because he won't kill penalties and probably won't be on the first PP. There isn't a top, 2nd or 3rd line to me, they are all fairly balanced and will get very close 5 on 5 time. Heck even the fourth line won't be very far in minutes.

Babcock loves to play his rookies and young players with veterans. So don't be surprised if Marner is slotted with Kadri, or JVR, or Michalek, etc. Big reason why Nylander played a lot with Grabner, Soshnikov with Kadri, etc.

We can't be afraid to play young players in big positions if they earn those spots. They won't be handed to them. This goes for Nylander to Marner to Soshnikov to Hyman to Kapanen to whoever else. If Marner plays well and earns his spot, no matter his age and experience, he should play at that level. It's that simple.

Last edited:

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
None of Brown, Johnson, Kapanen, Soshnikov, Hyman, Lindberg, etc have the potential to fill that role?

D/G is the bigger hole than scoring depth, it's not even close. We're loaded up front long-term.

Actually no. When we're ready to compete for the cup, those guys will not play the Hossa/Sharp role of complimentary veteran to our core. Every successful playoff team needs those 28-35 year old veterans who can provide the mature leadership for the playoffs. JVR and Komarov could be those guys. Look at a team like SJ. Pavelski and Burns have only really broken out at an older age than the current JVR. Not to mention JVR has the size we need in the top-6.

Seriously, we have a fantastic young core and all of a sudden people want us to trade everyone older than 25. JVR is the easiest way to land a top-4 D but he's certainly not the only way to do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad