JVR done as a Leaf?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I think we have seen the last of JVR as a Leafs. Leafs now have tons of forwards and in need of D. He's the only chip we have to get a top 3 D. Now that we may add Matthews I don't see how we can keep him.

If Backes moves on I can see him being a good fit in st.louis or Boston

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Everyone's available for the right price, but I doubt it. We're pretty thin on LWs, and JVR would be excellent playing alongside Matthews or Nylander.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Need a big American winger to play alongside AM. I'd tack on an extra couple years.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I can see the Flames calls for JVR with their 1st rounder. Their spot would have a pretty good available.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I get the sense that most aren't a fan of JVR, but we need players like him. He has the size, the shot, can skate well, and has underrated passing ability. He just needs to consistently bring the energy to game and work on his defensive positioning, but he's a rare type of player. Lets keep him and see how he does with Matthews before trading him away.

Scratch

Jan 3, 2016
I think he stays... but wouldn't be surprised or put out if he was moved for a considerable asset. Seems a bit silly to move a player with offensive upside before they get to play alongside Mathews... or Stamkos... or Nylander... or Marner.

Give it a chance.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don't get the idea of trading things we have few (1+1 potential) of rather than from areas of surplus. We're literally overflowing with viable top 9 forward prospects and picks. We don't have the roster space to develop what he have let alone the next wave, but don't have any realistic replacement for JVR.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Not a chance. Our best player in our weakest position (LW) traded? Nope, especially considering we need a big player like him moving forward.

TiMo15

Nov 8, 2008
Leafs still have to keep JVR, they need a big size winger who has ability to score on top 6. Also, his salary is very friendly and it won't affect much of the cap for next two and three years.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Perhaps, but I don't think the draft had anything I do with it.

He's been the Leafs best moveable trade chip for a while. But I also see him potentially sticking around if Babcock likes him

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Doubt it. We have lots of wingers but not lots with size and skill.

At some point Leivo and Brown has to play. Marner isn't playing ohl. Sosh and hyman will stay up as well they need good minutes.

To me if you are rebuilding them lets rebuilt. I think he gets us Anderson and Theodore from Anaheim. He's perfect for that team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad