JVR at the deadline

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Other teams are already solid defensively and can cover for someone who cheats on defence can be easily covered up if more offence is needed.

Our defence sucks, which means we can't cover for a forward who won't put in the necessary effort

Find it odd that If other teams are solid defensively that D needs seem to be so common.

But be that opinion as it may, his contribution to offense has got us this far. Take that away and that alters the way teams play us.

I doubt that a solid defensive team is going to give us a top d man for his services.

TheJet11

Nov 8, 2013
I love JVR, but would move him in a heartbeat for a RHD like Hamonic.

Hamonic has more term, on a great contract, but the Isles are looking for an impact winger.

I wonder if we could offer up our financial flexibility to make a trade of JVR for Hamonic (or Pulock +), and Halak's contract. It would appear that we could make that happen without dipping into LTIR, so we wouldn't be penalized for going over the cap.

Hamonic is on the IR right now, but it would be interesting to get him for the stretch run and to be Gardiner's long-term partner.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If management want to move him it will happen post expansion - Bozak likely has a higher chance of being moved today but even the. Likely more of a summer move

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Would we really make the team weaker though?

There was a chance the club could have filled the spots internally and done okay, maybe if Leipsic and Kapi never got hurt and one or both came up and shot the lights out, but that really puts crazy weight on Leivo to succeed or for an unexpectedly good D man to come in trade. Neither are realistic options to gamble on for a bubble team.

Remember also, with a NT list JVR can be basically unmovable if none of the selected clubs are interested in dealing a significant asset. Either way, I suspect the Boyle acquisition officially turned the page for their selling anything much this year. Polak or Hunwick max.

Pops

Sep 22, 2016

Hamonic has more term, on a great contract, but the Isles are looking for an impact winger.

I wonder if we could offer up our financial flexibility to make a trade of JVR for Hamonic (or Pulock +), and Halak's contract. It would appear that we could make that happen without dipping into LTIR, so we wouldn't be penalized for going over the cap.

Hamonic is on the IR right now, but it would be interesting to get him for the stretch run and to be Gardiner's long-term partner.
Would love to grab Hamonic

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ

that's dreamy.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
You can't send the Isles a player that could step up and get them into the playoffs ahead of you. Won't be done at the deadline.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I guess, doing nothing is better than doing something, and getting it wrong.

I was expecting help on D, but, NOTHING DOING.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
We get to enjoy his services for the remainder of the season and possibly through a new contract.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
He was never going anywhere this season. If he doesn't sign an extension before the TDL next year he will be in play no doubt.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As expected, no big pieces moved at the deadline. Much higher likelihood he is a summer trade, assuming that's what the Leafs management wants to do

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
He was never going anywhere this season. If he doesn't sign an extension before the TDL next year he will be in play no doubt.

Been saying this since summer but a lot of our fans seem fixated on the notion he is our only path to a D despite there being numerous options some of which do not require making us worse up front.

There always has to be someone our fans dump on and Kadri improved too much for him to be the target so it is JVR, despite Bozak being the more obvious expendable asset.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
If management want to move him it will happen post expansion - Bozak likely has a higher chance of being moved today but even the. Likely more of a summer move

I knew it! Bozak trade moved to off-season. I was wondering when we'd move on to that. Poor guy has been on the trading block for over 6 years....

As for JVR, i dont see him being moved unless something significant comes back. I dont see something significant coming back unless someone needs a sniping winger with no concept of defense.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I knew it! Bozak trade moved to off-season. I was wondering when we'd move on to that. Poor guy has been on the trading block for over 6 years....

As for JVR, i dont see him being moved unless something significant comes back. I dont see something significant coming back unless someone needs a sniping winger with no concept of defense.

If management doesn't like his contract demands I think he'll be moved at the latest by next TDL.

I can see them going either way this summer - depends on 1) of the Leas make the playoffs or 2) how well they fair in the playoffs

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
If management doesn't like his contract demands I think he'll be moved at the latest by next TDL.

I can see them going either way this summer - depends on 1) of the Leas make the playoffs or 2) how well they fair in the playoffs

I can see that happening. Not sure Leafs nation will like the return.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012

I would agree at the end of the day I think Bozaks contract demands will be what causes him to leave the team. I wouldn't be shocked if we resigned him for the right price.

Mar 26, 2010
I love it! JVR still a Leaf! Now get him signed long term!

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
He's been so disengaged for awhile now.. painful to watch. Floats with the best of them, no urgency to his game, no will, no desire... very difficult player to watch. Would like to see him benched, but then again he doesn't strike me as a person who'd respond well to a benching. Seems like he'd blame the coaching.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Been saying this since summer but a lot of our fans seem fixated on the notion he is our only path to a D despite there being numerous options some of which do not require making us worse up front.

There always has to be someone our fans dump on and Kadri improved too much for him to be the target so it is JVR, despite Bozak being the more obvious expendable asset.

Both of them are expendable. They are losers. They will bring any team they join down.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
I love it! JVR still a Leaf! Now get him signed long term!

Yeah let's sign a floater who literally does NOTHING aside from scoring 25-30 goals. No physical play, no d, and no leadership.

This bum needs to be shipped out in the off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: