JVR at the deadline

Ravens20

May 8, 2016
Ontario
Should the Leafs take advantage of a historically close playoff race and sell JVR. I think watching Leivo over the last couple of games that he could realistically replace a decent amount of the production that JVR brings. I know that the Leafs are shooting for the playoffs but this might be the most advantageous sellers market in years. Other than Landeskog, there is not a winger of JVR's quality available and the return could be more than in the offseason because I think that more players will become available with the expansion draft looming. I think Bozak is less valuable to the Leafs but we don't have the depth at centre that we have on the wings.

Am I wrong?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
you'd have to ask yourself would you get more trading JVR now - vs at Draft/In the Summer.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Thinking of the long term program in mind, I primarily want to convert JVR into assets that come up after Kapanen. Don't really know if we'll need defensemen or forwards or whatever, but if the Leafs are thinking the same thing, it's almost better to make that trade as late as possible, to maximize JVR's service time as well as having a better idea of what ingredients you need later.

Ravens20

May 8, 2016
Ontario
you'd have to ask yourself would you get more trading JVR now - vs at Draft/In the Summer.

I'm not sure, as I said there will definitely be more players available through trade and free agency but not having to use an expansion spot for him may be tempting to some teams. It's a calculated risk.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The problem is that trading JVR makes us weaker now and we're trying to make the playoffs, despite what some people will say that it doesn't matter. It matters to the players, the coach, the manager, the president and the owner. So unless someone is giving a great player in return, which probably won't happen since whoever wants him wants to add to the team, then you're going to get future assets back which doesn't help us to make a push. JVR will still have value this summer, so there's no rush to trade him.

The other point is that the expansion draft makes it very tough for a team to acquire him if they can't properly protect him or someone else. So they could potentially lose him or another player to Las Vegas.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

I think so. Trade him now and the team acquiring him is getting the playoff push this season and the entirety of next season out of him. Trade him in the summer he is viewed as an expiring contract, and the return is likely to be less. Plus expansion is looming and there are some teams who have what we need that are going to have tough decisions to make, and JVR is a piece that we can take advantage of that with.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
No disagreement but should they be looking to take advantage of a pretty bare sellers market?

well again it's looking bare because a lot of people are having Expansion issues.

expansion draft happens before draft right? + cap is officially set (or before then). so people would have been plucked, people know what to spend, and then you can foster JVR on people

unless - again, the person coming back is like a defenseman from Anaheim meh.
(also. it kinda sucks that Kappy is hurt. also right now sucks that Vessey went to NYR. i think that out of everything is what made us keep JVR this year).

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
No disagreement but should they be looking to take advantage of a pretty bare sellers market?

No. Simply.

We should look to ride this thing out, and push this group to reach whatever heights they can on their own merits.

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
That's a fair question, but I think the market in the off-season - which will allow 30 other teams to put together a playoff roster - will be at least on par with the market in the next week.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
The problem is that trading JVR makes us weaker now and we're trying to make the playoffs, despite what some people will say that it doesn't matter. It matters to the players, the coach, the manager, the president and the owner. So unless someone is giving a great player in return, which probably won't happen since whoever wants him wants to add to the team, then you're going to get future assets back which doesn't help us to make a push. JVR will still have value this summer, so there's no rush to trade him.

The other point is that the expansion draft makes it very tough for a team to acquire him if they can't properly protect him or someone else. So they could potentially lose him or another player to Las Vegas.

Are we that much weaker though if we traded with a team like Anaheim for instance that his D they can plug in if they move someone and not really miss a beat? In our case I think Leivo brings a lot of what JVR does and the piece we would hopefully add on the blueline would be impactful on our backend, which is pretty bad right now. Plugging our hole in the top 4 and slotting guys down where they should be, along with Leivo's impact should outweigh JVR's.

XxJammingxX

Mar 5, 2014
I think you trade him this season because any potential suitor will have him for two postseason runs. As opposed to next year when he's UFA and you only get him for one. I think that value can't be overlooked. He's a solid first liner that can fit in any teams cap structure.

We should be expecting a king's ransom for him.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
if they trade him and leafs miss the playoffs everyone gonna complain about trading him when we were in a spot to make the playoffs but if we keep him and miss the playoffs everyone's gonna complain about keeping him when we could have used him to improve our defence for the playoffs. The only thing we can do is to win the Stanley cup

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
what we've seen from Leivo is incredibly encouraging, but I think making that kind of a bet on 9 games is probably too big of a leap of faith. If Leivo can sustain this (or a similar) level of play for 30ish games this year then it'd be easier to make that leap I think

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Would depend on the return sought. In season, I'd hope for more than one asset, but they'd be "futures" (prospect and/or pick and perhaps a player to balance cap). In the offseason, I think there's the chance of more teams being involved and the potential for something closer to a 1 for 1 hockey trade bringing back more of a "now" player. I think/hope it's an offseason move, if it happens. Could also offer a longer look at Leivo.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Only if it's for a good-great young defenseman. Getting another true top 4 defenseman for our blue line might go a longer way to helping the Leafs make the playoffs than holding on to JVR.

If Kapanen were healthy parting ways with JVR would be easier. As it is, it'd be tougher to replace him from within.

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
Honestly if we can't trade him for a top 4 defenseman (or in a package for a young defender) I really wouldn't mind keeping him long term. At a certain price, obviously, but I think he's meshed well with the youngsters here.

Am I the only one who feels this?

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
JVR is not part of the Leafs future Stanley Cup dynasty. Trade him when his value is highest & I can't imagine it being any higher to a Stanley Cup contender than in the next week. Trade him, protect someone more deserving from the expansion draft & say good bye to his 20% participation. If anyone is concerned about JVR & a potential play off this year has not been paying attention to the Shanaplan.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Should the Leafs take advantage of a historically close playoff race and sell JVR. I think watching Leivo over the last couple of games that he could realistically replace a decent amount of the production that JVR brings. I know that the Leafs are shooting for the playoffs but this might be the most advantageous sellers market in years. Other than Landeskog, there is not a winger of JVR's quality available and the return could be more than in the offseason because I think that more players will become available with the expansion draft looming. I think Bozak is less valuable to the Leafs but we don't have the depth at centre that we have on the wings.

Am I wrong?

You are right. His value will never be higher. Cheap contract and the buyer will get him for two playoff runs. If the Leafs take a stout contract back it is a windfall for the other club. Leivo showed up at the right time and Leipsic and Kappy are also lined up for a chance. I would have no issue with the miniscule gap that would leave in their lineup. I think losing Bozak would be more disruptive to their chemistry in a playoff run.
The only reason I wouldnt deal JVR now is if they were consdering extending him in TO.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
unless you are willing to trade jvr for futures(picks and prospects) this is an off-season move, very few teams have the depth or will be willing to send a young, high end, contributing player..especially on the backend, back to us while competing for a playoff spot.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Honestly if we can't trade him for a top 4 defenseman (or in a package for a young defender) I really wouldn't mind keeping him long term. At a certain price, obviously, but I think he's meshed well with the youngsters here.

Am I the only one who feels this?

It isnt like he doesnt have high value, but look at his worth in the FA market place and how that cost would impact their need to add premium pieces to the blue line. If a high end rental is worth a first round pick for one playoff round, what is a guy worth for two playoff rounds?

The real issue is the salary cap and how many pricey forwards a team can carry. Matthews, Marner and Nylander represent the future costa that LA and Chicago are dealing with now. You cant be paying 6M+ for your 5th best forward .

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00