JVR at the deadline

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Yeah let's sign a floater who literally does NOTHING aside from scoring 25-30 goals. No physical play, no d, and no leadership.

This bum needs to be shipped out in the off season.

Geez, the way you speak of him, what can we expect to get for him? An 8th round pick, if we're lucky, yes?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Geez, the way you speak of him, what can we expect to get for him? An 8th round pick, if we're lucky, yes?

8th round but we'd have to include a Boyle autographed, game worn playoff jersey... which might be a problem.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
What pisse$ me off most about JVR is he floats around doing nothing... proceeds to get rocked by Manson. Next shift, attempts to throw a hit at Manson.. Manson ducks it/leafs go the other way. As a fan... without the context your like "yea atta boy JVR...finally noticeable!" ... when you realize the only reason he tried to hit him, is because he's mad that he was cleanly hit...Makes even more mad, in knowing that only reason he actually attempted to play physical, is because he's pissed of that he was hit with a beautiful clean hit. And do you blame him? Wouldn't you be pissed off if you try as hard as he does to avoid physicality, and you get rocked?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What pisse$ me off most about JVR is he floats around doing nothing... proceeds to get rocked by Manson. Next shift, attempts to throw a hit at Manson.. Manson ducks it/leafs go the other way. As a fan... without the context your like "yea atta boy JVR...finally noticeable!" ... when you realize the only reason he tried to hit him, is because he's mad that he was cleanly hit...Makes even more mad, in knowing that only reason he actually attempted to play physical, is because he's pissed of that he was hit with a beautiful clean hit. And do you blame him? Wouldn't you be pissed off if you try as hard as he does to avoid physicality, and you get rocked?

At least that act of selfishness proves he's not completely checked out...

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

?

You are mad that a player was mad?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
He's mad that JVR didnt try until someone made him look like a joke. he was complacent being useless beforehand

If that is a factual observation, you know one that could also be made by scouts, we should be discussing buyout and not trade.

If factual, no one will trade.

So, are we starting that discussion?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
What makes JVR so unique to Leaf fans?

JVR will likely play for the Leafs next year.
Leafs will likely be in the playoff hunt, so they won't trade at the TDL in February 2018.
When JVR becomes a UFA, the Leafs won't sign him, cause they believe they can spend the money that would needed to sign JVR will be spend better elsewhere
JVR is signed by another team for too much money.

Such is the scenario for hundreds maybe thousands of players before.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Leafs will likely be in the playoff hunt, so they won't trade at the TDL in February 2018.
When JVR becomes a UFA, the Leafs won't sign him, cause they believe they can spend the money that would needed to sign JVR will be spend better elsewhere

It will be desicion year for Bozak, JVR and Komarov.
Zaitsev needs to be re-signed.

We need to fix the D and upgrade our "heavy" factor.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Trapper

For the Leafs to move forward, I just can't imagine having Komarov, Bozak and JVR on the teams in 2018/19. Time for the younger guys on ELCs or second contracts to step Leipsic, Lindberg, Gauthier or some others.
Doesn't mean that Komarov, Bozak, JVR aren't on the team next year though.

Zaitsev being 25 years old, is getting close to UFA status (like Panarin). He deserves a long term offer from the Leafs, and the Leafs better hope he accepts it.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
JVR's points continue to be impressive year in and year out but many nights I feel that I'm watching Michael Renberg.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

JVR will get moved this summer. Like you said, we will be in a playoff hunt next year and that will make it harder to move him. We don't want a Shattenkirk situation here.

JVR plays a position where we have a surplus of young performers, Kapanen will take his spot next season. JVR gets moved for the defense we so badly need. This seems like an easy call.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
JVR's points continue to be impressive year in and year out but many nights I feel that I'm watching Michael Renberg.

If his head was wired correctly I think he could have been a real beast for the ages with the Leafs. But he's not.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Is everyone still happy with Zaitsev? I think the long schedule has gotten to him, he looks a bit stale out there . But he has been pretty good I suppose Definitely we should try to retain anyone who can skate backwards.

But the money, does this guy deserve big money?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
If Lou is sitting back and evaluating this team, and he's wondering what vets will step up at this time of year, who "wants it", who will be part of the core going forward, I don't see how JVR will be part of it.
The guy has so much talent too and could be a force out there. But I think he was known as lazy even in Philly

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
JVR needs to be moved, The Leafs have ridiculous depth in prospects/rookies on the wing.

The cap is flat-lining. It would be dumb to give JVR huge money.

Mar 14, 2015
Is everyone still happy with Zaitsev? I think the long schedule has gotten to him, he looks a bit stale out there . But he has been pretty good I suppose Definitely we should try to retain anyone who can skate backwards.

But the money, does this guy deserve big money?

This is a JVR thread, but yeah I'm happy with Zaitsev he's been great and is going to be with us for a long time.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Should have sold high on him

He has a 10 team no trade list and no player similar to him was moved at this deadline. Whether or not the club planned to keep him for the playoff run, there might not have been a decent deal out there. 21 potential dance partners this summer and clubs will not be as concerned with messing with a "set" lineup. He should still net a decent return if he wakes up again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad