Speculation: Justin Schultz's contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Gernat and 2nd for Boychuk and Kelly (25% Retention)

Gernat, Marco Roy and 2nd for Boychuk

They are in cap hell, the Oilers can more then pay a reasonable price.

They aren't going to deal their #3 defenseman for that bag of meh, they would ask for Marincin or Klefbom in return. They can find other ways to clear cap space like dealing Kelly and McQuaid for starters.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
They aren't going to deal their #3 defenseman for that bag of meh, they would ask for Marincin or Klefbom in return. They can find other ways to clear cap space like dealing Kelly and McQuaid for starters.

What teams are lining up for Kelly and McQuaid?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Do we have any insight from someone in the know like Stauffer into what's holding up the contract... is it contract length or the actual salary per year?

I always assumed Schultz wouldn't sign ANY deal for under $5 million.. no matter what the length is... but who knows at this stage what the holdup is.

I assume Schultz wants long term for $$$$$$$ and MacT wants short term at moderate money so he can see if Schultz can break out and improve defensively instead of being a 1 trick pony.. but who knows at this point.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Yup, you say that like there isn't more to this deal then just "Oh noes, trading Boychuk"

He's getting older, they DON'T EXPECT HIM BACK after this season, they have kids they want to bring up to the team, etc etc.

Sure Boston can ask for that all day, but they aren't a great position, if they want to keep him and try to move other guys, good on them, but they can't "bury" contracts in the minors anymore so things aren't as cut and dry as you seem to assume they are.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yup, you say that like there isn't more to this deal then just "Oh noes, trading Boychuk"

He's getting older, they DON'T EXPECT HIM BACK after this season, they have kids they want to bring up to the team, etc etc.

Sure Boston can ask for that all day, but they aren't a great position, if they want to keep him and try to move other guys, good on them, but they can't "bury" contracts in the minors anymore so things aren't as cut and dry as you seem to assume they are.

That still doesn't mean that they will give away one of their most important players and one of their best playoff performances for longshot prospects. Doesn't make a lick of sense from a Boston point of view.

This board has a habit of lowballing the opposing team and expecting a premium return for Oiler players in return.

Think of it this way, would you deal Petry for that package? One year left on his deal, one of the Oilers best defensemen and clearly a worse player than Boychuk.

Again, the Bruins aren't THAT desperate to dump one of their best players for scraps. I'm sure that they would rather play out the year with him and let him walk for nothing than just give him away.
If they dealt Boychuk, i guarantee that they would get better offers elsewhere.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
If we want Boychuk, it's probably going to cost us Klefbom or Marincin or,next year's 1st. I don't know if I'd do it, because both of those young D are close (a year or two) to being almost as good as Boychuk, anyway.

Our first for Boychuk? If he can help the team and the pick ends up being in the teens.... I do it.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If we want Boychuk, it's probably going to cost us Klefbom or Marincin or,next year's 1st. I don't know if I'd do it, because both of those young D are close (a year or two) to being almost as good as Boychuk, anyway.

Our first for Boychuk? If he can help the team and the pick ends up being in the teens.... I do it.

If it costs that, you just hang up the phone.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If it costs that, you just hang up the phone.

Agreed, or at the very least top 10 protect the pick. Not that he couldn't help us but the fact that he is a year away from being able to walk makes giving up an asset of that caliber a tough sell IMO.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Agreed, or at the very least top 10 protect the pick. Not that he couldn't help us but the fact that he is a year away from being able to walk makes giving up an asset of that caliber a tough sell IMO.

That mite work. As long as u have some inside knowledge that he would sign here in a year (ie. from Ference, or Boychuk's parents). His wife is an E-town girl, too. You never know, Baba's perogies every other weekend might be tempting.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

The only way you even consider that, is if he signs an extension, but I don't see that happening.

It's not as if my offer is Curtis Hamilton and Tyler Bunz, it's a reasonable offer for a player the Bruins are just going to lose at some point. If they want to demand a lot, as a team who might be interested, you wait until they get a very tough on the Bruins and "sweep in to help out"

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
wouldn't it be in everyone's best interest to let Boychuk and the Oil talk? If an extension can be worked out then his value to us and Boston goes up.

Really think trading any sort of 1st rounder for a guy that can very easily walk is a major mistake. It's not like he's the answer to our defensive problems.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The only way you even consider that, is if he signs an extension, but I don't see that happening.

It's not as if my offer is Curtis Hamilton and Tyler Bunz, it's a reasonable offer for a player the Bruins are just going to lose at some point. If they want to demand a lot, as a team who might be interested, you wait until they get a very tough on the Bruins and "sweep in to help out"

I just saw your offer, IMO that is more of a trade deadline type of a package. His worth to the team for this next season is likely more than that but less than what UTI is saying. If we could deal a top 10 protected pick for him and a 2nd + or ++ for Berglund this would be a very competitive team IMO.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Can't see Boston being interested in a package of futures for Boychuk. Petry @ 50% retention + 2015 2nd? I'd do it, not sure they would though. Saves them roughly 1.85mil in cap space.

As for Schultz, this kid has to get off his pedestal and realize that a bridge deal is the only offer on the table. If he plays as good as he seems to think he is, he'll get the big deal in 2 years, but he has proven nothing thus far.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lowetide retweeted something about half an hour ago from some guy named Regan Bartel. Said he talked to Schultz and he said 'deal's pretty close, should see something finished soon, don't see myself not having a contract before camp' or something along those lines.

No idea who Bartel is but good news if true.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Lowetide retweeted something about half an hour ago from some guy named Regan Bartel. Said he talked to Schultz and he said 'deal's pretty close, should see something finished soon, don't see myself not having a contract before camp' or something along those lines.

Hopefully true.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009

Finally something.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Regan Bartel @Reganrant · 1h
I spoke to Oilers d-man Justin Schultz about contract talks with team. "It is pretty close. We should have something done pretty soon here".

Would Schultz go to camp without a deal? "I don't want too. It isn't something anyone wants to do. I don't c me going to camp without (1/2)

"a deal. I will be at training camp ready to roll." Schultz is skating with other pro's in #Kelowna this afternoon.

Play by Play guy for the Rockets. I'd assume he isn't lying.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 1m
Edmonton Oilers are on the verge of a signing one year deal with RFA defencemen Justin Schultz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad