Speculation: Justin Schultz's contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He's within his right to do that, and probably should be frankly (if he and his team feel they have some ground to stand on here)

Honestly, I see this one either getting settled soon (like this week) or not getting done until late September, after camp is already underway. That will put pressure on Schultz because he has to play, atleast on a short term deal, to "earn" the money that might be there for him.

Best for both sides. I wouldn't be too shocked to see an extension at some point during the year if he does what he expects he can do.

I do however wonder what happens if he doesn't improve defensively and he doesn't get 50 points. Is it another one year show me deal?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Best for both sides. I wouldn't be too shocked to see an extension at some point during the year if he does what he expects he can do.

Indeed, the Oilers will be only too happy to pay him, if he shows he's worth the dollars.

I was just rolling this around in my mind. Would Oilers' fans consider, if Schultz and the team can't find the "middle ground"

To NJ: Justin Schultz

To EDM: Adam Larsson

Before everyone writes it off out right, Schultz has to the tools to be a high end offensive defenseman and has put up numbers in the NHL. And the Devils haven't shown complete "faith" in Larsson thus far. Just a thought of something that might be out there, maybe.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Indeed, the Oilers will be only too happy to pay him, if he shows he's worth the dollars.

I was just rolling this around in my mind. Would Oilers' fans consider, if Schultz and the team can't find the "middle ground"

Before everyone writes it off out right, Schultz has to the tools to be a high end offensive defenseman and has put up numbers in the NHL. And the Devils haven't shown complete "faith" in Larsson thus far. Just a thought of something that might be out there, maybe.
I like Larsson and would love to acquire him. I just wouldn't want to trade Schultz for an unproven player. Need to be going after a proven player at this point.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I like Larsson and would love to acquire him. I just wouldn't want to trade Schultz for an unproven player. Need to be going after a proven player at this point.

Sort of what I was thinking as well, but I wonder if, in a different situation, Larsson's game is more "proven" then he's shown in NJ.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Really though it would be unproven player for unproven player. Is it fair value. I haven't watched him much, so I can't say, but he was at one point in the conversation for first overall in Nuges draft year, so there must be real high end potential there.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

That trade leaves us with no offense from the back end.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Really though it would be unproven player for unproven player. Is it fair value. I haven't watched him much, so I can't say, but he was at one point in the conversation for first overall in Nuges draft year, so there must be real high end potential there.

Sure, but at what point do we stop with potential and start doing more of the PRV and pick for Perron? That's what we need more of.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Sure, but at what point do we stop with potential and start doing more of the PRV and pick for Perron? That's what we need more of.

You're probably right but it is likely what would be viewed as a fair trade. Either they get unproven with higher potential or proven with less potential. Not sure where I'd go but we really need a solid number 1-2 guy soon and Schultz won't get a "proven" #1-2 d-man.

Frankly, it's best just to find a way to get a deal done.

oilz89*

I do however wonder what happens if he doesn't improve defensively and he doesn't get 50 points. Is it another one year show me deal?

Your serious... You expect him to get 50 pts???? :amazed: There's like 4 dman that do that every year...... If he gets like 35-40 pts and improves defensively its a win

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Your serious... You expect him to get 50 pts???? :amazed: There's like 4 dman that do that every year...... If he gets like 35-40 pts and improves defensively its a win

That was his point. If he "doesn't" improve defensively then he needs to be a top 10 point producer in the league (ie 50 points since 8 guys did that last season) to make up for his horrid defense.

oilz89*

That was his point. If he "doesn't" improve defensively then he needs to be a top 10 point producer in the league (ie 50 points since 8 guys did that last season) to make up for his horrid defense.

Guess i read it wrong. Yeah that would make sense then. Personally i'd rather have him improve defensively and get around the same number of points he got last year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I don't expect him too, but if he wants 4.5-6mil long term he has to improve somewhere. Whether it's offense or defense. I don't care where the improvements come from just as long as he improves before locking into a big deal with him.

oilz89*

I don't expect him too, but if he wants 4.5-6mil long term he has to improve somewhere. Whether it's offense or defense. I don't care where the improvements come from just as long as he improves before locking into a big deal with him.

Yeah my mistake i read it wrong :cheers:

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
At least he is skating in Kelowna and getting into game shape. He's skating with Gorges, The Schenns, Seabrook, Keith, Ladd, Franson, Reimer and Price.

Maybe Seabrook can teach him a thing or two ;)

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Why would we expect this to resolve by training camp? Surely Schultz & his agent want Mac T to be desperate.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Why would we expect this to resolve by training camp? Surely Schultz & his agent want Mac T to be desperate.

Why would MacT be desperate?

The organization is literally bursting with young D hungry for a shot at the NHL. If Schultz wants to sit at home, I'm pretty sure Nurse or Kelfbom or Aulie would be more than willing to spend a few extra weeks with the Oilers.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
The reason it drags out probably means they're still looking for a long term deal. A bridge deal should be easier to get on paper.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
Why would MacT be desperate?

The organization is literally bursting with young D hungry for a shot at the NHL. If Schultz wants to sit at home, I'm pretty sure Nurse or Kelfbom or Aulie would be more than willing to spend a few extra weeks with the Oilers.

Yeah if Schultz sits at home it's a great chance to give Nurse his 9 games for example.
In the long run the lack of an offensive Dman would really hurt us. We've got nothing in that regard without Schultz.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
With the Bruins looking to move Boychuk, and obvious interest from the Oilers. If they were able to pick him up, think of the "pressure" that might put on Schultz' camp.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
1 year takes him to UFA I believe. I can't see MacT going for that.

Where did you hear that they were looking to move Boychuk?

It's been floating around, and Gregor talked with a Bruins guy who said he would be someone they would look at moving.

They have cap team now, still need to sign Krug and Smith, and Boychuk one year from being a UFA and a little older, they don't expect him to be a Bruins next year (as in After this coming season).

I'm certain the Oilers would still have interest, and would be in a position to take on Chris Kelly to help with that Cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad