Speculation: Justin Schultz's contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
It's been floating around, and Gregor talked with a Bruins guy who said he would be someone they would look at moving.

They have cap team now, still need to sign Krug and Smith, and Boychuk one year from being a UFA and a little older, they don't expect him to be a Bruins next year (as in After this coming season).

I'm certain the Oilers would still have interest, and would be in a position to take on Chris Kelly to help with that Cap.

I would be very interested in Boychuk, but not Kelly. Kelly isn't a top 9 C in the NHL and is signed for another year. Unless Kelly was included to lower the asking price for Boychuck, he shouldn't be someone the team is looking at.

I'd prefer to look at the leftover UFAs instead of adding Kelly @ 3M for another 2 seasons. Perhaps S Koivu, Loktionov or Handzus

J. Schultz wont hit UFA until he is 27. He's 24 now

My mistake. I didn't realize that. Perhaps a 1 year deal could happen then

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I would be very interested in Boychuk, but not Kelly. Kelly isn't a top 9 C in the NHL and is signed for another year. Unless Kelly was included to lower the asking price for Boychuck, he shouldn't be someone the team is looking at.

I'd prefer to look at the leftover UFAs instead of adding Kelly @ 3M for another 2 seasons. Perhaps S Koivu, Loktionov or Handzus

This was my though, I like Kelly over those guys, because I think Saku retired, Handzus is a little slow and Loktionov is out until November or later (or is my understanding)

The Oilers might even be able to get the Bruins to retain a bit on Kelly to help facilitate.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
This was my though, I like Kelly over those guys, because I think Saku retired, Handzus is a little slow and Loktionov is out until November or later (or is my understanding)

The Oilers might even be able to get the Bruins to retain a bit on Kelly to help facilitate.

Good thoughts. I could be down with that. I think we'd be better off playing Kelly on the 4th with Hendricks and Gordon though.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
The most likely D candidates for the Bs to move are Boychuk or Bartkowski.

Boychuk is a RHD but where does he fit?

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
You could always move a Schultz or Petry to the other side. However, I would think you move Petry if that's an issue.

Keep everyone fighting for ice time if you can afford it cap-wise.

Defensive depth that does not include AHL players is probably the best investment you could make.

oilz89*

Man now i'm getting scared... What if he doesn't sign? Who's gonna run our pp? Keith friggen Aulie?? :help:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The same thing he thought when he left Anaheim. He came here because his expectation was a boat load of cash after his ELC was up.

He's thinking "try to get paid because that's what my side feels like I'm worth", he's no different then a lot of guys, including Ryan Smyth who's "home town discounts" were few and far between.

oilz89*

He's thinking "try to get paid because that's what my side feels like I'm worth", he's no different then a lot of guys, including Ryan Smyth who's "home town discounts" were few and far between.

In other words.. He's an idiot :handclap:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
In other words.. He's an idiot :handclap:

Umm, not quite. I don't like it either, but I can't fault the kid, as I can't fault anyone in their situation.

He gets rocked a few times, gets some concussions, he's done. These guys are well paid, but don't play much passed 30 to 35, that's alot of life left.

oilz89*

Umm, not quite. I don't like it either, but I can't fault the kid, as I can't fault anyone in their situation.

He gets rocked a few times, gets some concussions, he's done. These guys are well paid, but don't play much passed 30 to 35, that's alot of life left.

Maybe he can't be faulted fully but the kid needs to sign! I mean how much money does he want? He can't really use other defensemen like Subban, etc. He's not at their level yet. He needs to sign for 3.5-4 and thats the maximum.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
if im the Oilers I offer Schultz a 1 year deal for whatever he is asking for for a 3 year deal. See what happens with Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse this year and if Schultz is over taken by any of the other 3 dmen then you know you can afford to trade him or lowball him.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
Maybe he can't be faulted fully but the kid needs to sign! I mean how much money does he want? He can't really use other defensemen like Subban, etc. He's not at their level yet. He needs to sign for 3.5-4 and thats the maximum.

Agents want what's best for their client. They don't concern themselves too much with what's best for the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad