Speculation: Justin Schultz's contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I expect a bridge deal.

I wouldn't blame Schultz or his agent for not wanting to sign a long term deal at 4.7M. I imagine he'll sign a bridge deal and they hope for him to have a couple of big 55+ point seasons. Then they will be looking for 6+.

McDonagh's deal is a poor comparable, because frankly it is an outright steal for a top 15 d-man in the league. Something the Oilers never are able to manage.

Cold Dome Beers

yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo
Aug 29, 2011
**** this team. Trade him, sign him, whatever. You're now winning a cup if your players have an attitude like this.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
My prediction has been for awhile that either Petry or Schultz will get moved in the off season. Both are hauling 20+ minutes on the team and they look at what the oilers have done for other players---Oilers to be cost affective will need to move one

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Re-sign him to a 7 year 42-million dollar contract.:sarcasm:

You know what, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is what the Schultz camp wants to sign long term.

And really, what does MacT expect is going to happen? He signs RNH to the same deal as Hall and Eberle after a bad sophomore season and then goes around trumping the three of those guys and Justin Schultz as the core to build around. Schultz sees RNH get a contract he hasn't earned, sees himself being placed in the same group as the guys who all got the same deal and him and his agent think.... "I'm a core player according to this GM, this is the going rate for core players around here. I want that too"

He obviously isn't close to being worth that (or frankly a 6 year deal worth 4.7 per year). Hopefully this is all moot and he signs a bridge deal and ends up having a couple of great years and everyone can come back to the negotiation table.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
...and the mob gathers the pitchforks and lights the torches...

It's the opening salvo of an important negotiation, why would Schultz lowball himself especially after the Oilers have repeatably mentioned him in the same breath as Hall/Eberle/RNH when it comes to being part of the core the team is being built around?

His agent will ask for one number, the Oilers will reply with something lower. It's how the game works.

That's not to say this couldn't eventually result in him being dealt out of town, but I don't think this turns him in the Antichrist overnight.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
ANGRY RESPONSE
ANGRY RESPONSE
SARCASTIC CONTRACT
BURN EVERYTHING
FIRE THE MALL

- did I get it right?

Stauffer is speculating, that is all. He might know something - he more likely does not.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
IMO:

1-2 year contract - ~$2.75M
3-4 year contract - $3.5M - $4.0M
5-6 year contract - $4.0M - $4.75M

Some numbers I'd be happy with.

Sloth Slothersons*

Give him the Sam Gagner special with 100% more NMC.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
he has the oilers by the ball bag because they dont have capable defenders to play. he will get close to what he wants

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well they did just start negotiating so I'm not that concerned, but at the same time he shouldn't strike us as a guy that would come cheap.

Wonder if you see him dealt, if negotiations don't go well.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If that's the case I'd flip Schultz + 2016 1st for Thornton

Gagner retained salary + Musil + Pitlick for Sharp

Yakupov + Lander + 2015 2nd for 1st overall= Ekblad

Draft Draisaitl with 3rd overall.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Thornton-Sharp
X-Draisaitl-X
Hendricks-Gordon-Pinozzotto

X-X
Marincin-Petry
Klefbom-Ekblad

Hopefully the X's can be filled with Kulemin, Markov, Fayne, Moss

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
If that's the case I'd flip Schultz + 2016 1st for Thornton

Gagner retained salary + Musil + Pitlick for Sharp

Yakupov + Lander + 2015 2nd for 1st overall= Ekblad

Draft Draisaitl with 3rd overall.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Thornton-Sharp
X-Draisaitl-X
Hendricks-Gordon-Pinozzotto

X-X
Marincin-Petry
Klefbom-Ekblad

Hopefully the X's can be filled with Kulemin, Markov, Fayne, Moss

yuck. That defence looks HORRIBLE next year. Welcome Mr. McDavid!

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
My prediction has been for awhile that either Petry or Schultz will get moved in the off season. Both are hauling 20+ minutes on the team and they look at what the oilers have done for other players---Oilers to be cost affective will need to move one

And then we can bring back Theo Peckham to play top 4 RHD minutes?

Oilers are in no position to be trading either Schultz or Petry. Unfortunately, that sort of hurts the Oilers bargaining power.

But whatever. At this point there is nothing to get worked up about. If you traded every player that ever asked for too much money while in contract negotiations you'd only be left with 4th line tweeners.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Pk subban got 2.875 on a bridge, so no it would not be fair.

the Subban deal was signed in a very different situation. Montreal had almost no cap space at all, the cap was artificially tanked because of the lockout, and that is a huge factor when making a good faith deal with a player. It's hard to justify chiseling Schultz on his deal when we have cap space laying around doing nothing.

I also got to love everyone getting angry and wanting him traded. First off, this is just speculation. Second, moving Schultz isn't a big option for us. We need him a lot more than he needs us. He is a big piece of this team going forward and he'll get a fair contract I'm sure.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
yuck. That defence looks HORRIBLE next year. Welcome Mr. McDavid!

Our D is what it is this year. With Scrivens and Fasth we are a .500 team. Add the fact Oilers have 2 dangerous top 2 lines. We should be borderline playoffs team. If we can add Markov, kulemin, fayne, etc. Who knows? Oilers could go pretty far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad