Justin Holl Cannot Play Another Minute In The Playoffs

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
In fairness I do think the goals against thing is a bit misleading because he plays on the pk a lot. After rewatching the goals in this series most of the goals that he's been on the ice for on the pk didn't have anything to do with him. He did legitimately play bad in game 1 and 5 though.
Holl is good on the pk. But Tampa only has pp goals in game 1 and 4 IIRC which still leaves 14 even strength goals of which that 80% still is a close enough number

Reactions: Menzinger

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Guess what, we're still up 3-2 with Holl playing in every game.

Holl is a fine bottom-pairing guy, and the hate he is getting right now is ridiculous - makes me not want to associate myself with this fanbase (felt the same way when Rielly was getting shit on by idiots during the regular season). No one was calling Keefe an idiot for playing Holl after we were up 3-1 with him playing those four games.

Liljegren is more talented, and deserves to play, and I have no doubt he'll get in to the lineup in game 6.
This series would've been over for the Leafs on Thursday if not for 2 miraculous comebacks.

Acting like Holl was perfectly fine and a reason why they're up 3-2 is hilarious. They're up in the series in spite of him.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
I understand people being pissed if Keefe doesn't take Holl out after last game, but I'm curious for the people who thought he already should've been out before game 5 when do you think Keefe should've taken him out?
The Leafs are down 14-2 in scoring when Holl is on the ice but up in scoring 19-6 when Holl is on the bench. I think that says enough.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
We can probably get away with him against tampa but i watched every second of boston/florida series and oh boy would Holl get owned

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We can probably get away with him against tampa but i watched every second of boston/florida series and oh boy would Holl get owned

Holl needs to be sheltered as the junior partner on a Muzzin led pair, or like if we had Ekholm to do everything and he's in his own structure.

When he's out there trying to Bobby Orr it, it's just a recipe for disaster. Gio can't cover up for that. He's skating in snow shoes.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Holl is out of the lineup and we have our best defensive performance of the series.

1682820956091.gif

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Holl is out of the lineup and we have our best defensive performance of the series.

View attachment 699799

Ironically, Liljegren and Gustafsson were both pretty bad tonight and Gio didn't look any better either.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Holl back in the lineup for one of those two defensemen. I don't think it is a big deal to have ZAR and Lafferty continue sitting. That arguably had a larger positive defensive impact than anything... They were getting killed out there.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
He’s a massive f***ing liability and is the main culprit in tonight’s loss. I mean Christ just look at this!

Holl is also dead last on the team with an overall xGF% of 24.26% (Kampf is second last yet kept being thrown out onto the ice with his shitty line but that’s a different discussion). He’s also on for the fewest high danger chances for so he’s also killing us offensively.

I don’t give a shit how bad Liljegren played to end the season. He was better than Holl throughout most of the year and there’s no way he can perform worse than Holl has been playing.

Thanks Jimmy, you were great during this series. Keep up the good work.

• Love
Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Expected Lilly to be rusty and he was at times but he was considerably better than Holl.

Hrudey and Bieksa pointed out the positives of the Lilly effect at the intermission - Defensive play and mobility on guys like Point, quick transition leading to Matthews goal etc,.

Lilly is not going to win the series himself, we just need him to be quiet and not be on the ice for 74% of the goals against. Can't spot teams like Tampa and Boston with a minus 3 every game from one of the bottom-pair guys.

Burkeocet

Nov 2, 2019
They could throw Matt Murray in a pair of player skates out on the blue line and I’d have more faith in him than I do Justin Holl.

I defended Holl during the regular season and thought he got more hate than he deserved but holy shit, he has been abysmal these playoffs. He absolutely needs to sit for the rest of the playoffs. Lilly is very clearly a much better player.

He’s a black hole offensively and a liability defensively every single time he’s on the ice. He’s infuriating to watch too - he’s so damn soft! Staple him to the wall in the press box please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad