Justin Faulk point produce 2020-2021season

Justin Faulk point prediction season 2020-2021?

• Total voters

mike1320

Hockey is a TEAM game. The injury-depleted Blues are tired in this condensed Covid schedule, with the top players like Faulk, and most of the regular lineup playing more minutes than usual over shorter periods of elapsed time. If your line or shiftmates are tired, they can't cover gaps as well, their reflexes are slower, their energy to react quickly is less,; and so they are going to give up more goals. Therefore, everyone on the ice will have a resultant lower +/- ratio, whether or not each and every individual is playing badly. Faulk looked significantly less culpable for goals scored against than his average shiftmate, Krug., and whichever forwards were out there against The Knights during the past 2 games. Faulk looked okay overall in the 2 games. Krug looked bad on many plays, some of which were plays that led to goals. As I stated several times this season, I'm VERY happy with the way Faulk has stepped up his game and is playing this season; and I feel that he is earning his formerly big (now roughly average) contract. On the other hand, I feel that Krug's play, so far, hasn't been living up to his level of pay.
I'm hoping that Krug adjusts to his new team this year and has better results next season (like Faulk).

Reactions: Blueston

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Hockey is a TEAM game. The injury-depleted Blues are tired in this condensed Covid schedule, with the top players like Faulk, and most of the regular lineup playing more minutes than usual over shorter periods of elapsed time. If your line or shiftmates are tired, they can't cover gaps as well, their reflexes are slower, their energy to react quickly is less,; and so they are going to give up more goals. Therefore, everyone on the ice will have a resultant lower +/- ratio, whether or not each and every individual is playing badly. Faulk looked significantly less culpable for goals scored against than his average shiftmate, Krug., and whichever forwards were out there against The Knights during the past 2 games. Faulk looked okay overall in the 2 games. Krug looked bad on many plays, some of which were plays that led to goals. As I stated several times this season, I'm VERY happy with the way Faulk has stepped up his game and is playing this season; and I feel that he is earning his formerly big (now roughly average) contract. On the other hand, I feel that Krug's play, so far, hasn't been living up to his level of pay.
You have no takes on Blues have played mostly against bottom feed teams and schedule will get tougher and tougher.

To me getting playoffs in this division should be no-brainer with this roster even it's clearly worse what it was Cup run.

Call it success how Faulk has played against mediocre team isnt giving comfortable feeling.

If Faulk will pull monster playoff run vs Vegas or Avs I will give to of credit. Even if we won 1st round I call it for success. That is how low my expectations are in this season.

I dont see it happend.

If ppl are fine with Faulk earning points regular season vs Anaheim, Arizona or Sharks then be my guest and going ice cold and getting exposed vs playoff teams I dont know what say anymore.

But interesting to see how games will unfold vs better teams a d how Faulk will perform.

Reactions: Blues Knight

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Once Parayko gets back, him and Scandella will get the tough minutes Krug/Faulk are getting now. They’ll go back to being super effective at that point imo.
I know it seems like excuse, but you add healthy Schwartz and Parayko back into this lineup and we are completely different team. They are probably our 3rd and 1st most irreplaceable players.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I know it seems like excuse, but you add healthy Schwartz and Parayko back into this lineup and we are completely different team. They are probably our 3rd and 1st most irreplaceable players.

Oh I absolutely agree!

The record with Schwartz in/out of the lineup over his entire career can solidify that claim. As far as Parayko, that just goes without saying. He’s our best defenseman who we don’t have a replacement for.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I don't really think it's an excuse. It's just a factual statement.

How good that potential team is might be up for debate (or might have yet to be proven), but it's definitely a different and better team to some degree.

The one fly in the ointment is that there's zero guarantee we get a healthy Parayko back at any point this season.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
You have no takes on Blues have played mostly against bottom feed teams and schedule will get tougher and tougher.

To me getting playoffs in this division should be no-brainer with this roster even it's clearly worse what it was Cup run.

Call it success how Faulk has played against mediocre team isnt giving comfortable feeling.

If Faulk will pull monster playoff run vs Vegas or Avs I will give to of credit. Even if we won 1st round I call it for success. That is how low my expectations are in this season.

I dont see it happend.

If ppl are fine with Faulk earning points regular season vs Anaheim, Arizona or Sharks then be my guest and going ice cold and getting exposed vs playoff teams I dont know what say anymore.

But interesting to see how games will unfold vs better teams a d how Faulk will perform.

I don't see how you can come to such a conclusion. I don't think that The Blues have played enough games against this division's other 3 top teams to compare Faulk's overall play or scoring against the lower 4 with his play and scoring vs. the Top 3. To me, the only test I can make is "the eye test" - (e.g. Has he been skating well?, Has he been playing a physical game to defend in his zone, and impede opposing players' from bringing the puck towards our goal? Has he been creating turnovers while defending? Has he been passing well and safely? - especially outlet passes. Has his physical game been making opposing players think twice about the punishment they will take to approach our goal? Is he playing calmly in his own zone under forechecking pressure? Does he make good decisions? Does he cover the loose man when his man is taken by a teammate on a switch? Does he join the rush and help out going in deep when The Blues are operating in The O-Zone? Does he play with good awareness, so that when The Blues lose possession in The O-Zone, he can instantly make the proper decision of where to aim himself to get back into the play? Is he helping the offence by driving the net? Is he moving in towards the slot to take closer shots on The Power Play, and ES when The Blues have control in The O-Zone? Is he making good passing decisions? Does he keep up his concentration when his centre has a key faceoff in the team's own zone? Does he pay the price to block shots on the PK, or when his team is outnumbered in his zone at ES? , etc.) . There are lots of things to look for for a qualitative analysis even if the number of games is too small to use stats to discern any meaningful trends.

Just looking at offensive stats is not enough to know if a player is playing well. A defenceman's first duty to his team is to defend. If he is defending well, and helping out his forwards in The O-Zone, the points will come. I haven't seen any evidence that Faulk isn't good enough to compete against the best teams in The West on an equal footing. I think The Blues could do better with Parayko replacing Krug on The Blues' top pairing, playing lots of minutes, and Krug getting less minutes and less exposure against opposing teams' best forwards. Don't forget that The Blues not only have lost Pietrangelo, but also a healthy Parayko, even when he's played, and Parayko altogether for much of this season's games, so far. Considering that, and that they are breaking in a rookie backup goalie, and have also had 5-7 forwards out for much of this season. Those problems affect the way each individual player has to play. This is a team game! Every change in talent affects at least a few players, often the entire shift of 5 skaters and the goalie; and, in the case of the number one defensive pairing, it usually affects the 2 main forward lines that play with them (both on their regular ES shifts, and on The Power Play). It can also affect any other forward who plays with him on The PK. So, that's already almost half the team.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about whether Faulk is playing subpar, but rather, whether or not The Blues, as a team, when completely healthy, can play competitively with The NHL's best teams. That is to say, will Husso gain The NHL experience he'll need to know his teammates better, come in better prepared to start games, gain confidence to bring him better calmness and ability to concentrate, so he can read plays better, and will Krug get more integrated in The Blues' system, and knowing his teammates' tendencies better, so he can be more effective in helping to strengthen team defence, and can add production on offence, and will Sundqvist, Barbashev, Thomas, Kyrou, Joshua and other young players continue to develop and improve their games?

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I think we havent seen yet how Faulk will play against tougher teams. Avs, Wild and Vegas. Vs Vegas he was -4.

Incorrect. He was -3 against them this past weekend and that includes the empty net goal against in the 2nd game. That has been pointed out earlier in this thread, so at this point you are just making up stats to fit your narrative. Edit: it was pointed out in a different thread, so disregard this snarkiness.

+/- is a bad stat, especially in small sample sizes. But if we are going to discuss it, then we're at least going to use the actual stats.

Moreover, he is -2 against Vegas overall this year and +2 against the Avs this year. So he is a -3 against Vegas in your cherry-picked 2 game sample size but is even across our 5 total games vs the Avs and Knights.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Need to come back here after 8 games vs Wild and rest of Vegas and Avs games have been played.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I absolutely hated having him on the team but am absolutely enjoying Faulk on it now.

Now, Krug on the other hand... right when I want to shoot him into the sun, he does something good. So I'm just a tad conflicted lol.

Seriously, our boys are good, we're just running injured and could absolutely use another strong stay-at-home styled Dman with some grind in them. You hear me, Army? Make it happen!

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
So he can proclaim that he was right and Faulk sucks since he didn't
Give proper review how he has played against playoff teams, now he has played well against bottom feed teams. Yes I can be dead wrong or I was right.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I absolutely hated having him on the team but am absolutely enjoying Faulk on it now.

Now, Krug on the other hand... right when I want to shoot him into the sun, he does something good. So I'm just a tad conflicted lol.

Seriously, our boys are good, we're just running injured and could absolutely use another strong stay-at-home styled Dman with some grind in them. You hear me, Army? Make it happen!

Faulk has been our best Dman all year, and it's not close (especially since Parayko hasn't been healthy).
his partner, now... well, that's a diff story. he's very good in open ice, but getting manhandled in his own zone especially around the goal and along the boards. while this pairing was mostly made out of desperation, for the most part it's worked out better than most (myself included) would have expected.
but krug has no business being on a 1st pairing

Reactions: Blueston

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Last 15 games 0+2 -14

giphy.gif

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
And your golden boy can't even make the lineup over Walman (who I'm pretty sure most people gave up on 3 years ago)
I really like what Walman bring on table. Better defensively vs Krug and I think he could replace his spot even current level. Even Dunn is better at PP than Krug. And at this point I would like to see Faulk get more icetimevat PP.

Good thing to see Krug get sheltered and not play PK. Walman played yesterday over 4min at PK. I give credit coaching staff are reading what is happening on ice and not force contracts play what they are paid.

Code:
Walman - Faulk
Scandella - Dunn
Krug - Bortuzzo

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I really like what Walman bring on table. Better defensively vs Krug and I think he could replace his spot even current level. Even Dunn is better at PP than Krug. And at this point I would like to see Faulk get more icetimevat PP.

Good thing to see Krug get sheltered and not play PK. Walman played yesterday over 4min at PK. I give credit coaching staff are reading what is happening on ice and not force contracts play what they are paid.

Code:
Walman - Faulk
Scandella - Dunn
Krug - Bortuzzo
Bortuzzo isn't defensively strong enough to cover for Krug. The only one on the team who is (and healthy) is Faulk, which is why he's been playing with him so much. Blues should have looked into a trade in the off season. Ryan Murray would have been a great pickup, especially for his price.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
First 14 games:
5-3-8, +14 (0.57 PPG)

Last 29 games:
1-7-8, -6 (0.27 PPG)

Pacing for 21 points, and leading the team in ice time/game. A definite improvement over last season, but still a problem-contract that should be dumped at it's soonest opportunity. Playing big minutes is admirable and I can see why the coach loves him; but MY GOD, how low has the bar been set if Blues fans and management are hopeful that the current level of play is what will be delivered over the remaining SIX seasons?

It's becoming pretty clear that the hot start was an aberration, and that the last 2/3rds of the season-to-date or more indicative of his ability than the opening third. I guess for what he is though, a veteran 2nd-pairing defenseman, the Blues could be doing worse. But the concern is when he inevitably becomes a veteran 3rd-pairing defenseman making that kind of jack, which I suspect will happen in the next two or three season. Before that happens though, I hope Army is able to offer Ron Francis something compelling enough to have him take him (or Krug) off of our hands.

finnishflash13

Oct 28, 2020
I think he still needs to be exposed come expansion draft time. Let Seattle take him and then replace him with a bigger sized right handed D-man (sorry Bortuzzo lol)

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Averaging 24+ mins per game, Faulk is +8 on a team with a -11 goal differential. Ideally a healthy Parayko makes Faulk an elite second pairing RHD...obviously this year has been less than ideal, but Faulk has still been nothing short of great so far.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I think he still needs to be exposed come expansion draft time. Let Seattle take him and then replace him with a bigger sized right handed D-man (sorry Bortuzzo lol)
If any of the top 4 on Defense needs to be exposed it's Krug, not Faulk. I'll be 100% honest, I think I'd rather have Scandella-Parayko Dunn-Faulk as our top 4 than having Krug there. Dunn and Faulk are at least somewhat competent Defensively, where Krug is just...... garbage.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I was bit wrong about Faulk. I predicted he would produce around 10-20 mark, but he reach 25 points.

Heavy produce against bottom feed teams at start of season and when opponent got tougher when season progress Faulk's produce fell down. No shock. Still positive season for him even he slowed down pretty significantly.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I was bit wrong about Faulk. I predicted he would produce around 10-20 mark, but he reach 25 points.

Heavy produce against bottom feed teams at start of season and when opponent got tougher when season progress Faulk's produce fell down. No shock. Still positive season for him even he slowed down pretty significantly.
I'll repeat that hockey is a TEAM sport. I still think that Faulk's production had more to do with how depleted The Blues lineup was than which teams they were playing at which particular point in the season, even though the latter was also a factor. Based mostly on watching the games, and thus, using that to put those stats into context, I think Faulk had a good season, which was significantly better than 2019-20, when he played worse than his normal level. We certainly cannot blame him for playing "weak" defensively, like we can for last season. And, as far as his total points scored, 25 in 56 games translates to 37 in 82 games(which is quite nice a total for an offensive defenceman who did not get 1st-team power play minutes regularly, all season long). That position was split among several different players.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad