Proposal: Justin Braun to Flyers

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
I think Braun is the type of D-man who can play with Ivan Provorov.
Braun took 168 hits (6th in NHL among D-men) and blocked 152 shots. Also he made 143 hits, so Braun can unload Provorov in physical game in dirty areas.
He plays 20+ minutes every night. Also Braun played 2:41 SH TOI/GP. Sharks missed 23 goals when Braun was on the ice in SH, which means 1 goal in 9:47 - decent stats.
Braun missed just 4 games in past 3 season. He is a RHD - this is nice addition to our team, because Folin and Gudas doesn`t have top-4 upside.

His caphit 3,8 through 2020.

How much can it coast? Simmonds?

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
How much can it coast? Simmonds?

The only immediate need the Sharks have at the moment is an established 3C. But I don’t know if the Flyers are in a position to provide that in a trade for Braun.

In lieu of a 3C the Sharks might be interested in a futures package to offset some of the assets they’ve recently traded away.

How’s this sound:

:flyers
Braun

:sharks
Frost/Myers
2019 2nd
2020 4th

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The only immediate need the Sharks have at the moment is an established 3C. But I don’t know if the Flyers are in a position to provide that in a trade for Braun.

In lieu of a 3C the Sharks might be interested in a futures package to offset some of the assets they’ve recently traded away.

How’s this sound:

Braun

Frost/Myers
2019 2nd
2020 4th

Braun isnt worth that :laugh:

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
How’s this sound:

Braun

Frost/Myers
2019 2nd
2020 4th

full

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

How’s this sound:

Braun

Frost/Myers
2019 2nd
2020 4th

yeah, no thanks

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Provorov already plays with their best Defenseman who's more than comfortable on the right side. Why would he need a new partner?

Besides, the last thing the Flyers need is another ES possession sinkhole. They're finally starting to cycle through the ones that were gumming up the roster and still have to suffer through Hagg and MacDonald.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I’d swap Braun for Simmonds. I think he would be a good fit on this Sharks team. Plays the right way and would make for a good net front presence.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

As soon as they made the announcement yesterday, i know i was gonna see this special elmo all over the place.

Braun would look great next to Sanheim, not Provorov.

Prov - Ghost
Sanheim - Braun.

That being said, the Sharks fans on this site have repeated multiple times in the 'braun to Tor for scraps' threads that their need is a 3c. Something we dont even really have one of( although vorobyev has looked very impressive), let alone one to spare.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Honestly I dont see the sharks trading Braun until they 100% know that EK65 is putting pen to paper and signing long term. Until then the sharks are in win now and the only thing needed is a proven cost controlled 3rd line center. After the season if EK65 signs a contract with the sharks then they would more than likely be interested in prospects and futures for him but until then the sharks are going to want a piece that pushed them over the top this year and has term left to fit in the salary structure.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Sharks have a “spare” 3C in Tomas Hertl and Joe Thornton (assuming Pavs is our 1c currently). Realistically, we need a good top-6 coming back. It’s more about the player than the position to be completely honest. The bigger problem with Toronto’s offers is that they clearly want our player but don’t want to give up anything of substance to acquire him. But honestly, that’s Toronto. They want to talk about how their bottom-5 in the league defense is made up of 7 top-pairing guys, and their bottom line is bona fide top-6 players if given a chance.

Reactions: Gecklund

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He hasn't been that guy for multiple years. Those days are long gone.

I think he'd be a nice insurance policy in case Myers isnt quite ready for mid-pairing duties. Braun is a nice steadying presence that will allow Sanheim to be a little more focused on offensive duties.

Obviously, all this is moot of Gudas can come back and remember how to play his style of hockey again this year. But if he cant - i take Braun over last years Gudas any day of the week.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I think he'd be a nice insurance policy in case Myers isnt quite ready for mid-pairing duties. Braun is a nice steadying presence that will allow Sanheim to be a little more focused on offensive duties.

Obviously, all this is moot of Gudas can come back and remember how to play his style of hockey again this year. But if he cant - i take Braun over last years Gudas any day of the week.

This reads like a defense of AMac or Hagg's play, mostly because it's the only option.

Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure no Defenseman in the last 2 years with 1000+ Minutes in aggregate has a worse RelT (or raw) Shot Differential at 5v5 than Braun. Not one. If you factor in shot quality, this upgrades him from unspeakably bad to merely Hagg-like.

He was that guy. He's cooked.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This reads like a defense of AMac or Hagg's play, mostly because it's the only option.

Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure no Defenseman in the last 2 years with 1000+ Minutes in aggregate has a worse RelT (or raw) Shot Differential at 5v5 than Braun. Not one. If you factor in shot quality, this upgrades him from unspeakably bad to merely Hagg-like.

He was that guy. He's cooked.

To each their own. I respect stats and their usage in evaluating players, but I prefer to use both stats and watching players to evaluate their play, and not just one or the other. Living on the west coast, i get to see a fair share of Sharks games, and I'd be comfortable with him as a #4. I'm not claiming he's anywhere near as good as he once was. But he's certainly no worse than last year's Gudas, either. Again, if 16-17 Gudas shows up - its a different conversation. But if 17-18 Gudas shows up, i'd be more comfortable with Braun than Gudas. At the very least, Braun is better at not letting skaters just pass him by.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
no thanks, rather have Myers or Ghost with him

When IPro is playing with Ghost he involved too much in physical game. In last season he took 131 hits - no one in Flyers took more. This indicates he doesn`t have much physical support when they play together with Ghost - it`s obvious cause Shayne`s style of play. Everyone knows Ivan is Iron man, but why we need to risk with him? He plays 25+ minutes, creates offensive, play so much in PK, and take so many physical aspects is really risky.

Myers? Probably. In two years... Is he ready to play 20+ minutes every night against top-3 right now? Doubtfully

Reactions: Flukeshot

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
When IPro is playing with Ghost he involved too much in physical game. In last season he took 131 hits - no one in Flyers took more. This indicates he doesn`t have much physical support when they play together with Ghost - it`s obvious cause Shayne`s style of play. Everyone knows Ivan is Iron man, but why we need to risk with him? He plays 25+ minutes, creates offensive, play so much in PK, and take so many physical aspects is really risky.

Myers? Probably. In two years... Is he ready to play 20+ minutes every night against top-3 right now? Doubtfully
Myers is VERY close to make it right now and our coach is Dave Hakstol who prob wouldn't even pair Provy with Braun

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Lol. Okay. Obviously I don’t know PHI’s prospects super well. Who would be some of the interesting prospects potentially available to swap out for Frost/Myers in the proposal?

For Braun, probably nobody. He offers a short term fix for a team that doesnt have a window in the short term. I'd be ok with acquiring him under certain conditions, but we'd be easily outbid by other teams.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Lol. Okay. Obviously I don’t know PHI’s prospects super well. Who would be some of the interesting prospects potentially available to swap out for Frost/Myers in the proposal?

Honestly, the Flyers aren't in a position to make a move for a guy like Braun. It wouldn't make sense for them, especially if you're asking for Frost or Myers

Reactions: Grebinator

NBflyerfan

Dec 30, 2014

How’s this sound:

Braun

Frost/Myers
2019 2nd
2020 4th

Frost/Myers
2019 2nd
2020 4th
that's better than what you gave Ottawa for Karlsson

Reactions: TheKingPin

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Frost/Myers
2019 2nd
2020 4th
that's better than what you gave Ottawa for Karlsson

In what world is that better then Norris (former 1st rd pick), Tierney (proven 3c), balcers (good prospect), Demalo (terrible nhl dman) a 1st, 2nd and additional 2nd if hes resigned?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad