Post-Game Talk: Just when you think you've hit rock bottom...

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I am still baffled we have 2 pro scouts...?

How is this possible? Why are they still here when everybody we bring in sucks......

Toronto has like 5 analytics guys alone lol

pro scouting is so important.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Remember my comments around the Cologne game where I mentioned Drai was looking pensive, wistful, sad to be leaving Cologne and the upcoming season?

Drai even stated how much he missed Cologne, Edmonton isn't like that, etc. But more the case I think Drai sensed what an enormous amount of work this season was going to be and hat ANY performance by him wasn't going to be enough.

I can't even imagine what McD is thinking. I suspect both are having to talk to friends and family a lot to recharge their batteries. The pay is good, but for competitive spirits the circumstance here is a nightmare.

No way I could to this. I would have had meltdowns by now. heh, that's honest hey? ;)

We like to think of players as robots, but they aren’t free of independent thought. They know when they’re playing on a bad team for a bad GM or a bad coach.

To think the last two years Edmonton has had the worst GM (Chia) and the worst coach (Maas) at the same time. Good lord.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Man, the atmosphere leaving the arena last night was odd. Just these overbearing sense of apathy and despondency. The fan base is really starting to turn and I’d love to know how those season ticket renewals are doing.

The word you're looking for is funeral.

I wonder if everybody had the same mood as Hitch behind he bench. Watch him walk off and how sad he is. I can't un see that. He always wanted to coach here and the club is ripping out his heart night after night.

The team wanted to lose the game. It looked so much like that. Or the team is so fragile they perform self fulfilling loss prophesy every night. There is no way you can play like that in a third and win.

This was the WORST Oiler 3rd period since a game in 93 (dismal club) and the playoff game against the Kings in 82.

That's in the entire NHL history of this club.

In other words this is record fragility on display.

Reactions: Oilhawks

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He never came back to the bench at any point. I can't disagree with it either. That's a team bench, and this isn't a team. The team abandoned Talbot and he responded in kind. 2nd time its occurred now.

I'm not blaming Talbot for this though, the org did this to him. Its what we do to goalies or any player that cares too much. I like as well that Talbot is exhibiting this type of emotion.

Talbot wasn't interviewed post game.

I think people are making stuff up again. Maybe Nurse punched Talbot too..;)

So Talbot played horrible in the 3rd and let in bad goals, then sulked in the dressing room, literally turning his back on his teammates?

Yikes. I thought he came back after venting for a bit.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We like to think of players as robots, but they aren’t free of independent thought. They know when they’re playing on a bad team for a bad GM or a bad coach.

To think the last two years Edmonton has had the worst GM (Chia) and the worst coach (Maas) at the same time. Good lord.

Even the weather and economy is trolling me.

Politics as well but that doesn't go down well here..;)

To think that these are relative good times in civilization, historically.

Much better than when the Christians were losing to the Lions..

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So Talbot played horrible in the 3rd and let in bad goals, then sulked in the dressing room, literally turning his back on his teammates?

Its a very weird situation for players when they know they are not part of the team going forward. A lot of players succumb to that. Takes special individuals to not be impacted by it. Albeit its probably some relief for Talbot.

He played solid though for two periods which is more than we can say in most games. The team approach to the 3rd period was so dismal and probably if you're in the room you even glimpse warning signs by now after being here for years. As a goalie, by position, you see a lot of shitty play in front of you.

I think the Oilers needed a time out even after the tying goal. It seemed like a knockout punch. The team needed time to reset. They fell apart, completely. Painful viewing.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Even the weather and economy is trolling me.

Politics as well but that doesn't go down well here..;)

To think that these are relative good times in civilization, historically.

Much better than when the Christians were losing to the Lions..

Just how long have you been around to compare? ;)

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005

How is this possible? Why are they still here when everybody we bring in sucks......

just happened to look at the Flames site. They only have 1 Pro Scout listed. 12 Amateur scouts

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Its the 2nd or third time THIS SEASON Talbot has done this after being pulled. Its no big news, I've seen other clubs goalies do it too.

Talbot has reached the point where he looks done with this club and does not have the faith in the team in front of him. That he's lasted this long is probably credit to him. No goalie lasts here for very long.

For all we know he was saying to Hitch that the officials had got the call wrong and that he was interfered with. If anything, that's what he would be continuing to communicate. Could even be one reason why he was pissed.

ya, probably not a big deal but i sense some bridges were burnt last night.

i do feel sorry for the tenders of this oilers team/organization. the team in front of them just refuse to consistently play the right way in front of them. talbot's supposedly a great teammate but his frustrations were showing as early as last year. i saw multiple times last year where he glared at one of his dmen after a goal allowed. i think one of the main culprits was actually klefbom especially on the pk coverage.

people put too much blame on the goalies here. sure they might not look good here and there but i honestly think a lot of it has to do with their spirits being crushed as well as just the d and fwds in front of them just not being in the right spots, not doing the proper and predictable things, having their heads on a swivel, being too passive and standing around when they should be pressuing and being more aggressive, or being too aggressive at the wrong time etc etc etc. all these things make a goalie look worse than they actually are. they play more back on their heels and don't have confidence in what positioning they should have etc. they're always, in the back of their mind, thinking about some backdoor play uncovered or some wide open man in the slot etc. must be he77 trying to tend the oilers net.

this is an issue of buy in, culture and hockey iq, effort etc of the players on the ice. i've seen the most talented guys on this team (connor and drai) make some of the worst, coverage and mental engagement lapses in the d zone the last couple years. the culture and buy in is rotten.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018

Rishaug mentioned he still had his gear on, and was ready to return if needed, and that he was watching video with the video coach to probably see how it all broke down.

Reactions: nabob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Rishaug mentioned he still had his gear on, and was ready to return if needed, and that he was watching video with the video coach to probably see how it all broke down.

Well there you go, thanks for that. We love drama here when it wasn't anything really.

I'd be a bit mystified too with that 3rd period but it happens occasionally in sports where everything just starts to implode and you can't crawl out of it for anything.

Germany vs Brazil in 2014 was like that although I enjoyed that one a lot..

There really are times when the playing surface seems entirely tilted.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
i realize chia and the oil management aren't the brightest bulbs but i have a feeling the drake trade was maybe more a hitch thing. chia or the management just took the advice of hitch maybe saying he doesn't want drake in the room for whatever reason (he was supposedly well liked by his teammates but maybe his popularity and the attitude he might have had was a "distraction" to what hitch wanted to do? i dunno just spitballin). and it just so happened chia wanted manning so the deal was formed? i don't know. just seems like such a stupid trade on the surface. i have a feeling there's a deeper underlying reason for the trade. i'm guessing it was some sort of a clash between drake and people in the org.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Quiet again in Edmonton today? I haven't heard shit, except for some speculation of Talbot ragging on Hitch.

You would think after a game like that--a game far from being in isolation--something would happen. Someone would say something.

Not here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Quiet again in Edmonton today? I haven't heard ****, except for some speculation of Talbot ragging on Hitch.

You would think after a game like that--a game far from being in isolation--something would happen. Someone would say something.

Not here.
Who's going to say what exactly? That and was there media availability today?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
i realize chia and the oil management aren't the brightest bulbs but i have a feeling the drake trade was maybe more a hitch thing. chia or the management just took the advice of hitch maybe saying he doesn't want drake in the room for whatever reason (he was supposedly well liked by his teammates but maybe his popularity and the attitude he might have had was a "distraction" to what hitch wanted to do? i dunno just spitballin). and it just so happened chia wanted manning so the deal was formed? i don't know. just seems like such a stupid trade on the surface. i have a feeling there's a deeper underlying reason for the trade. i'm guessing it was some sort of a clash between drake and people in the org.

Is there any dumb move this team can make that you can't come up with a "trouble in the room" story to justify? lol.

Reactions: harpoon

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Is there any dumb move this team can make that you can't come up with a "trouble in the room" story to justify? lol.
well, most of the time there's more to it that we don't know. or at the very least some of those underlying issues are a part of the reason for the trade. happens more often than the public thinks.

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017

Darryl Katz has no idea what a well run NHL organization looks like. Not even a decade+ of historic failure and humiliation could get him to remove his beloved old boy squad. Why do so many Oiler fans, who just want to buy a decent product, have to put up with the complete ineptitude of the same management figures for over a decade? Didn't MacT already fail as GM? Yet he's still a voice in the room, after so many failed projects. It's complete idiocy. I'm completely embarrassed by this organization.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
Who's going to say what exactly? That and was there media availability today?

I suppose.

I did just read that they had another team meeting (with the coaches) and Talbot and Hitch 'sat next to each other'. I also read that Talbot apologized for not coming out after he was pulled.

As far as someone saying something, I dunno. I think there has to be a response after a debacle like that. A trade. Something.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
well, most of the time there's more to it that we don't know. or at the very least some of those underlying issues are a part of the reason for the trade. happens more often than the public thinks.

Maybe with a dogs**t org like the Oilers.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

No need for them, our process here (under Chia at least) has been:

1) From Edmonton area/Past history with player
2) From Boston area/Past Bruins history with player
3) Former high draft pick that is ready to "break out"

1) Reinhart, Benning, Letestu, Russel, Davidson, Brodziak, Petrovic, Rattie, Rieder
2) Lucic, Cave, Spooner, Vesey
3) Larsson, Strome, Reinhart (falls here too)

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Darryl Katz has no idea what a well run NHL organization looks like. Not even a decade+ of historic failure and humiliation could get him to remove his beloved old boy squad. Why do so many Oiler fans, who just want to buy a decent product, have to put up with the complete ineptitude of the same management figures for over a decade? Didn't MacT already fail as GM? Yet he's still a voice in the room, after so many failed projects. It's complete idiocy. I'm completely embarrassed by this organization.
This is the biggest issue. Katz employs all these 'executives' that do f'all.

So the budget doesn't allow actual 'workers' that every successful biz needs .

MacTavish admitted in a broadcast recently after a real bad loss to the Kings that he didn't 'get a chance to watch the game '

Katz reaps what he sows

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
This is the biggest issue. Katz employs all these 'executives' that do f'all.

So the budget doesn't allow actual 'workers' that every successful biz needs .

MacTavish admitted in a broadcast recently after a real bad loss to the Kings that he didn't 'get a chance to watch the game '

Katz reaps what he sows

Too bad the fans reap what katz sows. Katz is in LA laughing at all the cash the oilers ent group brings in.

Reactions: EagerPug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad