Post-Game Talk: Just when you think you've hit rock bottom...

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Man, the atmosphere leaving the arena last night was odd. Just these overbearing sense of apathy and despondency. The fan base is really starting to turn and I’d love to know how those season ticket renewals are doing.

Hopefully as poorly as possible. Most of the season tickets holders I know are letting go of theirs. I wish they all would. Katz deserves to feel it in the pocket books. Stop with the human hockey cards already.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

MarkStreitPPGOD

Jan 27, 2019
Mikko Koivu now done for the year, Minnesota looks finished!

Oilers will probably be buyers at the deadline in this crazy season. And the Kings and Blackhawks are making runs.

Hilarious

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Mikko Koivu now done for the year, Minnesota looks finished!

Oilers will probably be buyers at the deadline in this crazy season. And the Kings and Blackhawks are making runs.

Hilarious

That will hurt the Wild, but unlike our team, if a decent player is injured, the rest of them don't fold like a cheap card table.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Craig MacTavish's title is Vice President of Hockey Operations with a main focus on pro scouting. Tells you a lot about what is wrong with this team. He's likely advising Keith Gretzky what to do going forward.

MarkStreitPPGOD

Jan 27, 2019
This is worst case scenario with every team besides the Blues in the race struggling. The Oilers will continue to spin their wheels without the necessary gutting.

The Anaheim Ducks are saddled with NTC, there's no excuse for the Oilers not to move on from players with value at this point!

Nuge and Drai need to go and the rebuild needs to start anew

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Craig MacTavish's title is Vice President of Hockey Operations with a main focus on pro scouting. Tells you a lot about what is wrong with this team. He's likely advising Keith Gretzky what to do going forward.

100%.
I created a thread to address this. The management infrastructure with this team is deeply flawed and Katz is 100% responsible for that.
Katz isnt going anywhere but until this dysfunction changes this team will never improve.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This is worst case scenario with every team besides the Blues in the race struggling. The Oilers will continue to spin their wheels without the necessary gutting.

The Anaheim Ducks are saddled with NTC, there's no excuse for the Oilers not to move on from players with value at this point!

lol and McDavid goes too in that case. Not a chance after seeing friends like Hall, Caggiula, Talbot, Strome gone that he stays for your mediocre "depth" gong show.

You want to be an expansion team that's easy. Give Seattle McDavid and Drai and they will gladly give you every pick from their expansion draft.

MarkStreitPPGOD

Jan 27, 2019
lol and McDavid goes too in that case. Not a chance after seeing friends like Hall, Caggiula, Talbot, Strome gone that he stays for your mediocre "depth" gong show.

Tired argument. Please tell me your plan? Oh yeah you have none, thanks for playing

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Tired argument. Please tell me your plan? Oh yeah you have none, thanks for playing

You've been here for like a week maybe settle the f*** down junior.

I said having Chia employed here was going to lead to this and here we are.

Doing more stupid things like now thinking you're going to build the Vegas Knights here is one of the dumbest things I've heard and zero chance McDavid is not asking for a trade the week after Leon is gone. Why should he stay at that point.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
People need to let this rebuild idea go, we don't need one. We need a retool that could be done this offseason.

The blue print for next season should look like this;

- Trade deadline. trade off all UFA's for picks, trade off any RFA's you don't plan on qualifying for picks.

- Draft day. Keep the 1st and 2nd, potentially trade picks in rounds 3 to 7 for a backup goalie and wingers for the bottom six.

-Buy out period. Buyout Spooner and Manning if they aren't traded by now.

- Free agency period. Try and sign 2 wingers for the top 6.

Only if the perfect player becomes available in a trade do we move any of our big assets, (JP, 2019 or 2020 1st, Jones, Benson, etc..)

It's not going to be easy but a good GM should be able to turn this all around in 1-2 off seasons. The problem is that we still have the same guys tht started this mess in charge behind the scenes.

We also need to accept Draisaitl as Mcdavid's permanent winger and just use him as a center when needed.

Next years lineup blueprint would look like this;

UFA signing-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
UFA signing-RNH-trade/UFA signing
Lucic-Trade-JP
Trade-Brodziak-Chaisson

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera or big trade acquisition
Sekera/Russel-Bouchard

It's a big list this offseason. We need 4 wingers, a 3C, an offensive RD and a reliable backup goalie.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

You want to move 2 of the 3 players we have that are actually producing and should be part of it's core going forward? What kind of glue are you on?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
People need to let this rebuild idea go, we don't need one. We need a retool that could be done this offseason.

The blue print for next season should look like this;

- Trade deadline. trade off all UFA's for picks, trade off any RFA's you don't plan on qualifying for picks.

- Draft day. Keep the 1st and 2nd, potentially trade picks in rounds 3 to 7 for a backup goalie and wingers for the bottom six.

-Buy out period. Buyout Spooner and Manning if they aren't traded by now.

- Free agency period. Try and sign 2 wingers for the top 6.

Only if the perfect player becomes available in a trade do we move any of our big assets, (JP, 2019 or 2020 1st, Jones, Benson, etc..)

It's not going to be easy but a good GM should be able to turn this all around in 1-2 off seasons. The problem is that we still have the same guys tht started this mess in charge behind the scenes.

We also need to accept Draisaitl as Mcdavid's permanent winger and just use him as a center when needed.

Next years lineup blueprint would look like this;

UFA signing-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
UFA signing-RNH-trade/UFA signing
Lucic-Trade-JP
Trade-Brodziak-Chaisson

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera or big trade acquisition
Sekera/Russel-Bouchard

It's a big list this offseason. We need 4 wingers, a 3C, an offensive RD and a reliable backup goalie.

You want to fix things through free agency? But... cap space, and convincing them to sign with Edmonton.... and that also never works. If it were that easy, it would happen. Do it the right way, or the oilers are gonna suck forever.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
You want to fix things through free agency? But... cap space, and convincing them to sign with Edmonton.... and that also never works. If it were that easy, it would happen. Do it the right way, or the oilers are gonna suck forever.

Just use free agency for some wingers and a 3C. There will be value options available but no guarantee they sign here. Potentially Jones, Benson and Yamamoto will be ready but you want to make them earn their spot.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Just use free agency for some wingers and a 3C. There will be value options available but no guarantee they sign here. Potentially Jones, Benson and Yamamoto will be ready but you want to make them earn their spot.

No, it just won't. Trust me, I won't be at a loss if your management f***s the Oilers up even more, but this isn't a quick year or two retool. Trust me, building from within will be so much better if your scouts are worth a damn. And Yamamoto shouldn't be anywhere near the NHL btw, and jones needs sheltering too.

Get a #3c fine, but don't go big game hunting.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
No, it just won't. Trust me, I won't be at a loss if your management ****s the Oilers up even more, but this isn't a quick year or two retool. Trust me, building from within will be so much better if your scouts are worth a damn. And Yamamoto shouldn't be anywhere near the NHL btw, and jones needs sheltering too.

Get a #3c fine, but don't go big game hunting.

I agree but we can get some stop gap players while we build towards a long term goal. The only big game player we should go for is a young, offensive RD but only if they become available and only for the cost of picks/prospects. We can't afford to trade away core players. Obviously we can't afford the big name players but there is some decent wingers that will be available that wont cost much in terms of cap hit or years.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Chia is that you?

Seriously, this "idea" of yours might be the singular dumbest thing I've read on HF in a long time, and that isn't an easy task.

Reactions: TB12

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Mac T being head of pro scouting actually makes complete sense. He’s one of the 3-5 dumbest guys in hockey.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Well there you go, thanks for that. We love drama here when it wasn't anything really.

I'd be a bit mystified too with that 3rd period but it happens occasionally in sports where everything just starts to implode and you can't crawl out of it for anything.

Germany vs Brazil in 2014 was like that although I enjoyed that one a lot..

There really are times when the playing surface seems entirely tilted.

Not sure if this was posted or not.

Wasn’t trying to be dramatic. I just didn’t know the full story as I didn’t subject myself to the unnecessary punishment of watching the whole game.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Mac T being head of pro scouting actually makes complete sense. He’s one of the 3-5 dumbest guys in hockey.
Outrageous that he even has a voice. In two years as GM he acquired almost nothing but players who flamed out of the league immediately.

- Philip Larsen
- Andrew Ference
- Mark Fayne
- Ben Scrivens
- Steve Pinizzotto
- Mark Fraser
- Viktor Fasth
- Nikita Nikitin
- Teddy Purcell
- Kellan Lain
- Derek Roy
- Rob Klinkhammer
- Will Acton
- Keith Aulie
- Iiro Pakarinen
- Boyd Gordon
- Anton Belov
- Jesse Joensuu
- Luke Gazdic
- Roman Horak
- Denis Grebeshkov
- Ryan Hamilton
- Jason LaBarbera
- Ilya Bryzgalov

The only players still in the league are Perron, Brossoit, Hunt, and Hendricks. Benoit Pouliot is still unsigned.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackDogg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad