Jussi Jokinen

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I just can't agree with that. Malkin is downright awesome at getting and stripping players of pucks. I think Bennett tries harded but Malkin does it so naturally it almost tricks the eye.

I think you need to re-read what I responded to. :)

gopens66

Hop in the Cordoba, Baby, we're goin' bowlin!
May 25, 2006
Altoona,Pa
Kunitz, Crosby, BB
Jokinen, Malkin, Neal
Dupuis, Sutter, D'Agostini

I'm way more OK with hoping that duper keeps up around his pace of the last few seasons and we push him down the depth chart to add a little offense to that 3rd line.

To me that is a much more balanced 3lines of offensive threats than duper in the top 6.

Yeah, this seems to make sense to everybody but the guy with the power to make it happen.

Bob Errey played on Mario's wing quite a bit. That is, until we got actual top 6 wingers. Once Stevens, Recchi, and eventually Jagr developed, and the addition of Joe Mullen, Errey was quickly on the third line.

I love Dupuis, but not even trying:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Dupuis-Sutter-D'Agostini/Kobe

seems a bit daft.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Bennett is not going to crash and bang on that line if he's there. There's no question if he will go into the dirty areas for the puck, cause he will, but crashing and banging is not his game.

He has and he will, if he's there. Because while it may not be his bread and butter, he's a hell of a lot better at it than Malkin or Neal.

Jokinen can bring some good things to that line, but he can't do that.

Stunning how few people get that. IMO, Bennett is more consistent winning battles on the boards than any forward save Sid and Geno. And, of course, the reason people like you and me like Bennett there is because having him to lead the work in the corners means Geno can focus more on being a playmaker and Neal can focus more on getting into shooting positions (the question isn't whether those guys CAN win battles; the question is why you want an elite playmaking center and a sniper focused first on doing that). Anyway, we'll see how it plays out. Jokinen brings his own advantages. My only objections were about the idea that faceoffs, not puck retrieval, is the biggest issue with the Malkin line and the idea that there's nothing lost having Malkin and Neal do most of the dirty work (their work with Kunitz suggests otherwise).

Stunning to the extreme that you and I agree again . . . third time in two or three days? :scared:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Best defensive and Second best puck retrieving wing in a position focusing on defense and puck retrieval. Sounds awful.

I think some people remember the Dupuis experiment with Malkin during the 2009-2010 season. That said, I actually think it would be better this go around. My preference there is Beau, but I'll take one of Beau, JJ, or Dupuis (knowing that Kunitz will never happen again).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think some people remember the Dupuis experiment with Malkin during the 2009-2010 season. That said, I actually think it would be better this go around. My preference there is Beau, but I'll take one of Beau, JJ, or Dupuis (knowing that Kunitz will never happen again).

I want all of these to be tried. We shouldn't be locked into anything. Play matchups. Play the hot hand.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I want all of these to be tried. We shouldn't be locked into anything. Play matchups. Play the hot hand.

What, now you want Bylsma and Granato to become competent bench bosses? Oh what the foolish lad ye are . . . :laugh:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Stunning how few people get that. IMO, Bennett is more consistent winning battles on the boards than any forward save Sid and Geno. And, of course, the reason people like you and me like Bennett there is because having him to lead the work in the corners means Geno can focus more on being a playmaker and Neal can focus more on getting into shooting positions (the question isn't whether those guys CAN win battles; the question is why you want an elite playmaking center and a sniper focused first on doing that). Anyway, we'll see how it plays out. Jokinen brings his own advantages. My only objections were about the idea that faceoffs, not puck retrieval, is the biggest issue with the Malkin line and the idea that there's nothing lost having Malkin and Neal do most of the dirty work (their work with Kunitz suggests otherwise).

Stunning to the extreme that you and I agree again . . . third time in two or three days? :scared:

There is a difference between winning board battles and playing a crash and bang game. Crosby wins board battles but he doesn't play a crash and bang game. Ideally you want a guy like Kunitz on left wing for Malkin. Neither Bennett or Jokinen are like that. Personally I think Jokinen brings more to that line then Bennett at this time. And that's no slight to Bennett.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, Geno and Dupuis have just never clicked for some reason. It's almost like Sid and Sykora. Malkin had chemistry with Sykora but Sid didn't for some reason. Hard to predict who will have chemistry in hockey.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I think Dupuis would work out fine with Malkin, but JJ will be great with Malkin/Neal. His passing and faceoffs are going to lead to more puck control on that line, and that's going to result in some obscene point production and Corsi. Puck possession is also great defensively, taking the pressure off Malkin's lazy backchecking and tendency to hook guys down from behind.

Bennett can be successful anywhere on our top 3 lines, the best place no doubt being on Sid's right side where he can feed the puck to Sid and Kunitz. But I'd also like to see him with Sutter to form an excellent defensive and chip-in scoring line.

JJ has got to go with Malkin and Neal to maximize his abilities, while BB can play anywhere and still have a big impact. Dupuis, also can play in a lot of spots and be effective. Just not as a 2nd 3rd wheel (where he is now), on this I believe this board generally agrees.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Dupuis is the same player he was two years ago with a shiny coat of paint and a knowledge of where Crosby wants him to be. He does not mix with Malkin.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Dupuis is the same player he was two years ago with a shiny coat of paint and a knowledge of where Crosby wants him to be. He does not mix with Malkin.

And where Staal wants him to be. And where Jokinen and Morrow want him to be. And Steve Sullivan.

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
Depends on how he does this season, but how likely is it that he get's a new contract offered?

Last edited:

vsk92

Alltid IFK
Mar 31, 2011
Scotland.
It depends on how he does this season. :laugh:

Yeah I kind of answered my own question, but what I meant was that are there players in the system who could replace him if he had okay-ish season but since he's not getting any younger would Bylsma replace him (I don't really much about the depth of system and how they way the team gives young players a chance)

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah I kind of answered my own question, but what I meant was that are there players in the system who could replace him

No.

Barring anybody having unexpectedly good seasons there are no forward prospects projected to be ready to compete for a top six forward spot on the Pens next year. The cupboard there is extremely bare. Bennett was our only real bluechipper and he's a full time NHLer now.

Nietzsche Zone Play

Jun 11, 2010
Pittsburgh
I love Bennett on the 3rd line to start. everyone clamoring for him to start next to Sid should check out the Dobber piece on him this morning. it breaks down all of his ice time and linemates and production in a way that makes you wonder why he was even given all that ice time with Malkin last season (he had 1 point with Malkin on the ice last season). the talent is there, but he needs to earn it. I also don't see how having him on the 3rd with Jussi on the 2nd doesn't make the team better.

as for the playoffs, that's about 8 months away. it's foolish to look that far ahead (as a fan) because literally anything could happen in that time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad