Jussi Jokinen

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
After losing Iginla, Morrow, TK and Cooke. Juice figures to play a pretty regular role in our top 9. And with our situation in terms of cap space, he may be in that role for the duration of the season. Where do you see him fitting in? Are you comfortable with him on Malkin's LW in lieu of Bennett?

Interesting player. Can move up to 2C if Sid or Geno get hurt. Play either wing. Solid defensively. Great f/o guy. Has put up pretty big numbers before with plenty of skill to burn.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Love him. Great fit for the second line. Not at th expense of Bennett though.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
i've seen quite a few posters claim that Jokinen should be a cap-dump. i think that'd be a mistake. he does a lot of valuable things. i could see Jokinen and Bennett competing in camp for the 2LW spot. hopefully, he ends up as the 3LW where he'd really help out Sutter.

until things shake out i'm happy to put myself in this camp:

facebook250.png

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah he's a pretty good player for us. It's hard to predict where he will play next season, they seem like they want Bennett to be a LW and to play on Malkin and Neal's line. So I think Jussi will be 3rd line LW, he could play well there.

I agree with everything you said, good guy to have to move into the top 6 if you need to, can play any forward position. Very skilled, can be a good player on the power play, penalty kill and in the shootout. He's responsible defensively.

I think him and Sutter will mesh, both offensively and defensively.

EDIT: Now, let's trade Tanner Glass and Matt Niskanen, sign Chad LaRose for the 3rd line to make it a Hurricanes reunion, and sign someone to replace Glass, or go with Sill.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jokinen brings a lot to the table for a $2.1 cap hit. I look forward to him getting regular time on the third line, which will have the bonus of helping us with faceoffs on that line.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah he's a pretty good player for us. It's hard to predict where he will play next season, they seem like they want Bennett to be a LW and to play on Malkin and Neal's line. So I think Jussi will be 3rd line LW, he could play well there.

I agree with everything you said, good guy to have to move into the top 6 if you need to, can play any forward position. Very skilled, can be a good player on the power play, penalty kill and in the shootout. He's responsible defensively.

I think him and Sutter will mesh, both offensively and defensively.

EDIT: Now, let's trade Tanner Glass and Matt Niskanen, sign Chad LaRose for the 3rd line to make it a Hurricanes reunion, and sign someone to replace Glass, or go with Sill.

I agree. They seem to be pretty similar players. Jussi a little bit more skilled and maybe Sutter a little bit better defensively(?), but they need to get some grit to play with those guys. Although from what everyone says, the bigger role he gets, the better Jussi plays. So I wouldn't be too upset if he ends up in the top 6.

Wasn't even thinking about Sutter and Jokinen both playing on the Canes. I wonder how much/well they played together there? Anyone know?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Geno-Neal is the only combo I'm in favour of keeping together, I think Kunitz, Dupuis, Bennett and Jokinen should all be tried in the other top 6 spots so we can see how they mesh.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
I don't think we can hold the grit factor against him. That's Shero's fault there aren't other players to do that so we have to expect out of others who aren't that type of players.

My only worry is that he seemed to have the most success this year when playing center. I feel like there is a chance he will regress if moved back to the wing where he played a lot in Carolina recently. I know he some successful years at wing but he was struggling before he was traded & switched to center.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
All the Canes fans seemed to think he was much better on the wing, he's just a hot and cold player I think. Him and Bennett could make a pretty nifty combo on the 2nd PP unit.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Jussi was playing 3rd line center with Carolina last season. During his 30 goal season he played on the wing. When he played center here, he was playing with Morrow, Dupuis, Iginla and Bennett, some upgrades over who he might have been playing with in Carolina.

However, both Jokinen and Sutter know eachother from Carolina, they are both responsible defensively and have offensive upside. I expect those 2 to have chemistry.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
All the Canes fans seemed to think he was much better on the wing, he's just a hot and cold player I think. Him and Bennett could make a pretty nifty combo on the 2nd PP unit.

Yeah his streakyness could have been the reason for that as well.

I guess we'll see but it is nice having a guy that can at least contribute offensively & can play all 3 forward positions. Definitely helps us if we have any injuries in the top 6.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Good on draws, good in shoot-outs, good defensively, knows his way around the offensive zone, plays wing too. Not gonna find anything like that on the open market for $2.1 million.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Duper-Sid-Beauner
Kunitz-Geno-Real Deal
Juice-Sutter-???
Gl*******-Vitale-Adams

That's what I do. ??? Would be Jeffrey most likely

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
You're dreaming if you think Bennett has any shot at breaking up Bylsma's hallowed trio of Kunitz - Sid - Dupuis. Especially after he back-tracked on his Top 6 comments yesterday and basically said he'll be on the 3rd line most of the time, maybe some PP time with the Top 6 guys. :facepalm:

Juice is locked on the 3rd line at this point, we have so little depth we'd be nuts to put him anywhere else. Just a question if we sign another FA to play on the other side, which might reinvigorate Bennett's chances to stick on 2LW.

Juice - Sutter - Bennett / FA

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I hope that next year when his contract is up he'll re-sign for around $2m or 3 /$5.4m.

Something like that.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
who is the 2LW in this scenario?

Whoever Dan Bylsma is dreaming about signing.

It should unequivocally be Bennett and any coach worth a crap would just state plainly "I expect Bennett to play alongside Geno and Neal much of the year. For now he's the best candidate and more than capable." and leave it at that until such time as we sign someone better. Not like there's any competition there.

Unless he thinks Juice will play there and they intend to sign a 3LW and not 2LW. I honestly believe if we get him, Bylsma would slot Cleary at 2LW. Even though he's a RW and half as talented as Bennett. I really do.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I posted in another thread but I am cool with Jokinen getting that LW spot on Malkin's line. The past few years Jussi has thrived playing in offensive situations and disappeared when he's lower in the lineup. Plus of course he'd be a great faceoff option for that line.

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Raymond - Sutter - Bennett

Not sure what Raymond is looking for but perhaps take a 1 year chance on him with a cheap deal.

And next year I am definitely on the Kulemin train like the rest of you nut jobs. Would be a great fit with either Malkin or Sutter. Then you can go:

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Kulemin - Malkin - Neal
XXXXX - Sutter - Dupuis

and be one solid third liner away from a terrific top 9. In a lot of ways our top 9 for 2013-14 feels like a transition year.

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
You're dreaming if you think Bennett has any shot at breaking up Bylsma's hallowed trio of Kunitz - Sid - Dupuis. Especially after he back-tracked on his Top 6 comments yesterday and basically said he'll be on the 3rd line most of the time, maybe some PP time with the Top 6 guys. :facepalm:

Juice is locked on the 3rd line at this point, we have so little depth we'd be nuts to put him anywhere else. Just a question if we sign another FA to play on the other side, which might reinvigorate Bennett's chances to stick on 2LW.

Juice - Sutter - Bennett / FA

Whoa wait, what did Disco say? That Bennett would be on the third line? Craziness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad