Jussi Jokinen

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Dupuis being the 3rd line RW makes the most sense, but I'd be completely shocked if it ever happened. It just fills so many things we need...Dupuis brings the checking ability, offensive ability, and defensive ability we need to find for the 3rd line. Bennett could slot in nicely on the 1st line...Jokinen on the 2nd line, D'Agostini on the 3rd line with Sutter and Dupuis...or Kobasew if he earns the spot.

I just cannot see the coaching staff letting that happen though.

One can dream. It's quite possibly the most frustrating thing about this team, God forbid they deign to be rational about the lines.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I'm glad Jokinen is setting lofty goals. I'd love to see some experimentation with the wings, especially if it meant getting to see Bennett with Sid. Jussi could definitely work on the second line, but I have a feeling he'll start the season on the third line with Sutter and Kobasew/D'Ags.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Dupuis being the 3rd line RW makes the most sense, but I'd be completely shocked if it ever happened. It just fills so many things we need...Dupuis brings the checking ability, offensive ability, and defensive ability we need to find for the 3rd line. Bennett could slot in nicely on the 1st line...Jokinen on the 2nd line, D'Agostini on the 3rd line with Sutter and Dupuis...or Kobasew if he earns the spot.

I just cannot see the coaching staff letting that happen though.

Dupuis would need to slip and both BB and Jussi would need to play out of their minds.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Dupuis would need to slip and both BB and Jussi would need to play out of their minds.

I'm almost rooting for KCD to completely suck to start the season. I just can't get behind them being a scoring line on a Cup champion.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Jokinen with a hat-trick in pre-season combined with his previous achievements? Nah, just bury him in 3rd line, Bennett is obviously better than him.

I just can't see WHY most people seem to slot Bennett above him by default.

ObsessedCreative*

Jokinen with a hat-trick in pre-season combined with his previous achievements? Nah, just bury him in 3rd line, Bennett is obviously better than him.

There is no reason for JJ & BB to not be in our top 6.

Dupuis should be on that 3rd line it would help him & the team out a lot.

Oh wait... Sorry there is a reason those two won't be in our top 6 and that reason is named Dan Bylsma.

Ugh this year is going to be a mess...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
There is no reason for JJ & BB to not be in our top 6.

Dupuis should be on that 3rd line it would help him & the team out a lot.

Oh wait... Sorry there is a reason those two won't be in our top 6 and that reason is named Dan Bylsma.

Ugh this year is going to be a mess...

I don't get this sort of complaining...

So Dupuis, who the last 2yrs has played like a top 6 winger, should now be demoted to the 3rd line? The moment he turns back into that 39pt winger, do it, until then, it seems stupid to break him off that Sid line because you feel he's better suited for that 3rd line.

I think Beau and Jussi are likely going to rotate on the 2nd and 3rd lines. The good is that both wingers have shown the ability to play both sides, so it doesn't hurt them any to do so.

Likely combo's...

Jokinen/Bennett, Malkin, Neal
Jokinen/Bennett, Sutter, D'Agostini

I am ok with that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The thing I liked about the trio of Jussi, Geno, and Neal is that you now have a guy that can win faceoffs with Malkin. I love how on that 1st goal, Geno is on the right side, Jussi down the middle and Neal on the left side coming into the Jackets zone.

2nd goal...

Neal is kind of in the middle, Jussi on the right side, Geno on the left and Geno feeds it to Jussi who is flying down the right and he scores.

3rd goal...

It's Jussi coming in with Malkin trailing on the left and possibly a decoy for the CBJ Defense.

In any case, the chemistry they showed in the game, it's like they've been a unit before, it's hard to look past that and not see that as a unit. I would hope in the next game, Bylsma tries a line of Bennett, Sutter, D'Agostini to see if they can build some chemistry.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
the only thing about that is that Bergeron is miles ahead of Crosby in terms of defensive play. that's not really a knock on Sid - Bergeron is simply the most complete forward in the league.

If Patrice was as good as Crosby offensively, he likely wouldn't be that well rounded. When you are behind guys like Savard for a few years and in a different situation, you are used in different ways. Crosby could be as good defensively if we had a coach that had the guts to use him on the PK more often, but even Babcock doesn't use Pavel on the PK that often because he knows of the risk involved and the ice time he can use him for could help the team win more games (EVS & PP).

DoktorZaius

Feb 7, 2013

I'd say they're a push right now, and I'd rather have Bennett in the top 6 because he's clearly a top 6 talent and he might as well get acclimated to that role sooner rather than later. But like others, I'd rather have them both in the top 6.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I want Jokinen playing with Malkin because he helps out that lines biggest weakness, faceoffs. BB is going to be a good offensive player and should be in the top 6, but I would prefer to see Jokinen there at this point.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I want Jokinen playing with Malkin because he helps out that lines biggest weakness, faceoffs. BB is going to be a good offensive player and should be in the top 6, but I would prefer to see Jokinen there at this point.

The lack of a lead puck retriever who will bang some bodies is a bigger weakness than faceoffs. Jokinen brings a lot of attributes, but, with him, the Malkin line lacks a lot in terms of getting pucks dumped in and sustaining offensive zone possession in dirty areas. Those are two ways in which Bennett helps make the Malkin line better.

Of course, as others have noted, both could be in the top six, albeit the day after Fleury becomes the poster child for mental strength and two days after Dan Bylsma is mentioned among the greatest hockey tacticians of all time.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The lack of a lead puck retriever who will bang some bodies is a bigger weakness than faceoffs. Jokinen brings a lot of attributes, but, with him, the Malkin line lacks a lot in terms of getting pucks dumped in and sustaining offensive zone possession in dirty areas. Those are two ways in which Bennett helps make the Malkin line better.

Of course, as others have noted, both could be in the top six, albeit the day after Fleury becomes the poster child for mental strength and two days after Dan Bylsma is mentioned among the greatest hockey tacticians of all time.

You never know until you try. If Jokinen works with Malkin and they're rolling along, I wouldn't blame Dan for keeping them together until it doesn't work anymore. Beau with Sutter wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I don't get why so many hate Jussi Jokinen. Is it because of his brother Olli?

If Jussi plays in the top 6 this season and is healthy I can easily see him have the best season of his career.

It's an Olympic year and last time Jussi was left out of the team. He will be super motivated to play his best this year so that wont happen again. And it's a chance that might happen again with Selanne and Koivu still around...

Plus the fact that he plays his best when he has talent around him. He put up 30 goals and 65 points with Eric Staal. No reason he can't put up more with Neal and Malkin or Crosby and Kunitz.

Plus he just had a hat trick against the best goalie in the NHL playing with Neal and Malkin!!!!!! :rant:

But no just put him on the 4th line, have him play 4 minutes/night and dump him after the season is over... :shakehead

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You never know until you try. If Jokinen works with Malkin and they're rolling along, I wouldn't blame Dan for keeping them together until it doesn't work anymore. Beau with Sutter wouldn't be a bad thing either.

I'm not saying not to try. There are arguments for and against. I merely was disputing that faceoffs is the Malkin line's biggest weakness.

If Jussi plays in the top 6 this season and is healthy I can easily see him have the best season of his career.

It's an Olympic year and last time Jussi was left out of the team. He will be super motivated to play his best this year so that wont happen again. And it's a chance that might happen again with Selanne and Koivu still around...

Plus the fact that he plays his best when he has talent around him. He put up 30 goals and 65 points with Eric Staal. No reason he can't put up more with Neal and Malkin or Crosby and Kunitz.

Plus he just had a hat trick against the best goalie in the NHL playing with Neal and Malkin!!!!!! :rant:

But no just put him on the 4th line, have him play 4 minutes/night and dump him after the season is over... :shakehead

Yeah, and while we're at it, how dare anyone suggest not playing Dupuis with Crosby and Kunitz. That's the best line in hockey . . . (at least until it really counts).

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Don't want to put too much stock in pre-season games, but you'd probably want to see how JJ plays out on the 2nd in the regular season.
In that case, one should only leave Dupuis on the 1st to hike his trade value, because whatever Dan/Sid or anyone says, he simply shouldn't be there when it counts.

That's my problem with his contract. Don't want a 3.75 million per 34 year old signed for 4 years when his right spot is the third line. Love or not.

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland

Jussi and Olli Jokinen aren't related to each other at all, Jokinen and it's variations are pretty common last-names in Finland.

But it could be that people either think that they are brothers or mix these two players completely Olli has always been kind of an ******* and Jussi the guy who has all the skill in the world but doesn't seem to be able to use it all that often, he is the kind of guy that might score a hat-trick against the best goalie in the world, tie an play-off game in the last seconds, pile up crazy amount of points in a few games and then be completely invisible for the next 20+ games. :(

But that might change if he get's to play 1st-2nd line in a good team like the pens and with guys like Geno or Sid, those two can use Jokinen's skills more than Jussi can himself, if that even makes sense.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
After what Jussi showed last year and now, you guys are still thinking if this guy should play bottom 6. :laugh:

Tells about mad depth, but seriously, ice time should be given when its legit and deserved. Jussi deserves to play top 6 role hockey, looks like he deserves it even in diamond penguins line up.

I hope he's traded if he doesn't make it for he's own sake. Unless he wants to take cup with <12 minutes ice time..

Last edited:

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
the thing is that BB also deserves to be in the top 6. However, DB refuses to put Duper on the 3rd line so one of JJ or BB get's the shaft.

We could enter the season with this line-up, which would be amazing:

Kunitz - Crosby - Bennett
Jokinen - Malkin - Neal
Dupuis - Sutter - Kobasew
Jeffery - Vitale - D'Agostini
Adams/Zolnierczyk

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

To be honest, I haven't seen a lack of physicality out of Jokinen at all. I think he has worked just fine in the corners and along the boards. He certainly isn't Kunitz, but I don't find his lack of strength or general size alarming. He doesn't crash and bang but he uses some of those Datsyukian techniques to gain possession of the puck and force turnovers.

Malkin is 6'3 and probably close to 230 lbs...he looks huge. James Neal is 6'2 and 210...maybe bigger. Keeping possession of the puck shouldn't be the problem. I think last night showed how the game changes with those two when a guy like Jokinen is there. He was working as the 3rd man where he'd just hang back and push pucks up and sort of rove around up top in the zone and take his chances when they presented them self. Neal and Geno need to worry less when Jokinen is there.

On that line, I think faceoffs are the biggest key because it's a line that needs to possess the puck to be at it's best. I will also say, Geno looks to be MVP Geno. He was winding it up last night. I can really see him having one of those MVP type years this season. Geno's got that look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad