Confirmed with Link: Jussi Jokinen to Pens for conditional 2013 6th or 7th

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Surprise! The FB crowd hates the Jussi trade. "Why give up on the season now JR?" was my favorite comment.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
What a shock, and of course the reaction from most here (including if not especially myself) is "seriously, you've seen what's happening, why not give up on the season and move towards next year?"

j44thor

Mar 27, 2008
True but he did score the only reg goal and scored the only SOG so it does count for something as in 2pts.

Is there any reason why CAR didn't just use a compliance buyout on him next season rather than carry a 900K cap hit for him to play in PIT?

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass
True but he did score the only reg goal and scored the only SOG so it does count for something as in 2pts.

Is there any reason why CAR didn't just use a compliance buyout on him next season rather than carry a 900K cap hit for him to play in PIT?

gUdajMx.png

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
We aren't a team that gives away money. Why pay 3 million instead of 900k? It doesn't make sense to buy him out.

The buyout would be $2 million (2/3 of remaining total) but it makes more sense to deal him and pay less than half that in 13-14 and beyond. It could also give another player in Charlotte a chance to prove himself on the 3rd line (Dalpe, Terry, Welsh, etc.)

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Jussi did nothing here during his contract to earn the kind of money he made, let alone a buyout windfall.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
$2.1M saved?

That sounds right around the amount needed to re-sign LaRose or Corvo. :sarcasm:

As for why we would rather have a 900k cap hit than just use a compliance buy-out: (1) we save $2.1M instead of $1M (2) we're not spending to the cap anyway, so that hit is meaningless

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The buyout would be $2 million (2/3 of remaining total) but it makes more sense to deal him and pay less than half that in 13-14 and beyond. It could also give another player in Charlotte a chance to prove himself on the 3rd line (Dalpe, Terry, Welsh, etc.)

I thought the buyouts this year were 100%? Was that just compliance buyouts? Are the old buyouts intact?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I thought the buyouts this year were 100%? Was that just compliance buyouts? Are the old buyouts intact?

The buyouts that went on before this season (Gomez, Redden) were 100%. But if they wait until the normal buyout period after this season, even compliance buyouts are 2/3 of the total remaining salary.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

Don't quote me, but I thought that the NHL only granted the Habs and the Rangers the 100% buyout.

This was because they were going to buy out Gomez and Redden at the end of the season, and so to prevent an injury from derailing that plan (a player on IR can't be bought out) they told Gomez and Redden to stay home. The NHLPA was going to file a grievance, and so the NHL allowed the Rangers and Canadiens to do a 100% buyout rather than have the NHLPA ***** and moan at them.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
clear as mud. generally i used work hard to be the guy that knows these things. three lockouts and now i could care less other than in these conversations. regardless it makes more sens to me to trade him and pay less than buying him out, jr counts every penny.

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe
Each team got 2 full buyouts with no lasting negatives until end of next season I think?

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
It's early but so far Jokinen has been brilliant in Pittsburgh. 3+2 through 3 games plus a big shootout winner. And even without the production, he's defensively responsible and just a really smart playmaker.

I think he just needed a change of scenery.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
clear as mud. generally i used work hard to be the guy that knows these things. three lockouts and now i could care less other than in these conversations. regardless it makes more sens to me to trade him and pay less than buying him out, jr counts every penny.

After the start of this season, the buyouts are the same as they have always been: 2/3 of the remaining contract over twice the length of the remaining contract, 1/3 of the remaining contract if you are <=25. Compliance buyouts have no cap hit.

The only change was to give Gomez and Redden a chance to play this year. MTL and NYR paid their full 12-13 salary and will pay 2/3 of the remaining salary for 13-14 and beyond. The NHL allowed them to accelerate the compliance buyout rather than send Gomez and Redden home to avoid injuries that would prevent a buyout this off-season.

bb99

Apr 6, 2009
North Carolina
It's early but so far Jokinen has been brilliant in Pittsburgh. 3+2 through 3 games plus a big shootout winner. And even without the production, he's defensively responsible and just a really smart playmaker.

I think he just needed a change of scenery.
He was a star here when he was first brought in. Glad to see he still has some game and hope he keeps it up. Like you said, he just needed a change..prob getting away from this terrible team helped more than anything.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
After the start of this season, the buyouts are the same as they have always been: 2/3 of the remaining contract over twice the length of the remaining contract, 1/3 of the remaining contract if you are <=25. Compliance buyouts have no cap hit.

The only change was to give Gomez and Redden a chance to play this year. MTL and NYR paid their full 12-13 salary and will pay 2/3 of the remaining salary for 13-14 and beyond. The NHL allowed them to accelerate the compliance buyout rather than send Gomez and Redden home to avoid injuries that would prevent a buyout this off-season.

Got it. Thank you!

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Jussi did nothing here during his contract to earn the kind of money he made, let alone a buyout windfall.

:help:

Since when is 0,65 ppg over 300 games bad? The guy had 50-60p / season on the second line, on a team that once made the playoffs in the 4 years he was on the team. He is actually pretty decent at face-offs and defensive play too. He didn`t earn 3mill/?

If Juice didn`t earn his money? Who on the Hurricanes do?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Jokinen seemed to be butting heads with Muller. It's not like he all of a sudden, forgot how to play decent hockey!

Yeah, Not sure if they were butting heads, but they I think there's some truth to them not being on same page.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/jokinen-to-face-canes-first-time-as-penguin

But Jokinen also said under former Canes coach Paul Maurice and then-associate head coach Ron Francis, "They were able to get the best out of me and they really put me in the position where I could be successful." Jokinen's offensive production dipped the past two seasons under coach Kirk Muller, but Jokinen did not specifically blame Muller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad