Confirmed with Link: Jussi Jokinen to Pens for conditional 2013 6th or 7th

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I admit I'm stunned JR was able to get Jokinen moved without taking significant salary back from someone. The Canes will still be paying some of Jokinen's salary next year, but they would be if they bought him out as well.

Good luck to Jussi, and it's time to move on and see what someone in Charlotte can do with that time on Nash's wing or even on the 2nd line.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The picks and conditions are irrelevant. Since 2000, how many players drafted by Carolina after the 2nd round have gone on to be regular NHL players? I'm too lazy to do all the research, but I believe the answer is 1...Wallin in 2000.

Getting a 6th or 7th round pick isn't really much different than getting nothing. This deal was simply getting someone to take Jussi by keeping some salary.

2003 5th rounder Tyson Strachan, maybe?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I thought about him, but until this strike shortened season, 30 games is the most he's played in a season so I'd want him to have a couple of seasons under his belt to for me to consider him a "regular NHL player" (which I admit, can be a subjective definition).

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Andersen and Bowman are looking like they're on track to be regulars. How good is another question, but Bowman doesn't look like he's going anywhere for a while and Andersen looks like he could be a starter in the NHL here eventually.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Good luck to Jussi, and it's time to move on and see what someone in Charlotte can do with that time on Nash's wing or even on the 2nd line.

I know he was slow but I wouldn't mind seeing Chris Terry again. He did score a goal in just 3 games. I believe that's the only shot he took, and scored.

Oenatzu

Chad-in-the-Box
Mar 7, 2010
Do we get that tiny fraction of glory if the Pens win the cup for paying for a player to play for them?

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I thought about him, but until this strike shortened season, 30 games is the most he's played in a season so I'd want him to have a couple of seasons under his belt to for me to consider him a "regular NHL player" (which I admit, can be a subjective definition).

Already posted this but ...

Zetterberg 7th round pick 1999
Doug Gilmour 7th round pick 1982.

Those were different times but if we're strictly talking "could it happen?".

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
So if we sneak into the playoffs and are somehow up 1 with 1 min to go on Pitts in game 7, does JR call the bench and say throw the game so we don't lose that pick?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Already posted this but ...

Zetterberg 7th round pick 1999
Doug Gilmour 7th round pick 1982.

Those were different times but if we're strictly talking "could it happen?".

I know about those guys..but I asked about who CAROLINA has drafted in later rounds since 2000 that is a regular NHL player. The answer is maybe Strachan and Bowman (who were both before the 6th/7th round) and potentially Andersen (7th round).

The picks/conditions in this deal are pretty meaningless. This was simply a deal for JR keeping some of Jussi's salary to get rid of the rest.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yep, and personally I have no problem with that.

Was actually hoping that the conditional pick was something like 6th guaranteed with up to 4th given those terms, but whatever, it is what it is. It's about freeing up money for next season faaaaaaaaar more then it is about acquiring a 5% chance of the player being ANYTHING.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I know about those guys..but I asked about who CAROLINA has drafted in later rounds since 2000 that is a regular NHL player. The answer is maybe Strachan and Bowman (who were both before the 6th/7th round) and potentially Andersen (7th round).

The picks/conditions in this deal are pretty meaningless. This was simply a deal for JR keeping some of Jussi's salary to get rid of the rest.

Yep I failed to read "Carolina" and "since 2000". :handclap:

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
I guess the issue was Jokinen's salary. His two-way play is great, but if he's snake-bitten then no-one's paying that salary.

I wish we could have kept him. Regardless of the salary, he would have helped our playoff efforts.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Jussi's been rather bad this year defensively IMO. I know he has the best Corsi on the team but that, at least IMO, is a case of the numbers not agreeing with perceivable reality.

His faceups had to help his rating there, but he's been rather poor in all other regards of his game other then the draw IMO.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Have we ever traded anyone *before* we ran their value down to absolute zero first? There was a time to trade Jussi. This wasn't it. There was also a time to trade McBain. This isn't it. Legendary baseball exec Branch Rickey said "“Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late.” JR is not legendary.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Have we ever traded anyone *before* we ran their value down to absolute zero first? There was a time to trade Jussi. This wasn't it. There was also a time to trade McBain. This isn't it. Legendary baseball exec Branch Rickey said "“Trade a player a year too early rather than a year too late.” JR is not legendary.

Offhand I'd say Ladd, Zigomanis, Commodore, Paradis, Wallin, Cullen, and Sutter were all traded off before we ran their value down to absolute zero. Granted some were traded before their value peaked (Ladd for instance, but I tend to discount that since while it was unpopular I do think it worked out better for both Ladd and Ruutu than if either had stayed with their respective organizations), but I'd say those guys all were valued when they were traded off.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Offhand I'd say Ladd, Zigomanis, Commodore, Paradis, Wallin, Cullen, and Sutter were all traded off before we ran their value down to absolute zero. Granted some were traded before their value peaked (Ladd for instance, but I tend to discount that since while it was unpopular I do think it worked out better for both Ladd and Ruutu than if either had stayed with their respective organizations), but I'd say those guys all were valued when they were traded off.

I'd throw in Babchuk and Alberts as well.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
TK BLOWS, I would have stabbed a mime if he was heading back our way. And I doubt the Pens would have done that deal anyway, doesn't help their cap situation going forward since he's only signed through this year.

But Tyler Kennedy and Jordan have lots of chemistry and stuff. Nevermind we have multiple Tyler Kennedy's already, just not as ugly looking.

:laugh:

We were really hoping we could send you the ManBearPig, but it was not to be. As to chemistry, sure... Kennedy shoots the puck into the goalie's crest from the right half-wall at least 20% more when playing with Staal. The guy doesn't even generate any rebounds with his shots; he's really a miracle of science.

Pretty clearly, there's a genetic link at work here.

03-16-03_kennedy-vs-upshall-i_original.jpg

manbearpig.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad