Junior Hockey: Additions and Losses

lytpracing

Apr 21, 2020
Every USPHL organization with a NCDC team fills their Premier team with kids who tried and failed to make the NCDC team. As long as they have 50 or so kids looking to make their NCDC team, they will fill out a roster.

And dangle the carrot of the kid getting called back up will make sure that roster is full.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Provo Riverblades Join USPHL Premier For 2020-21 Season, Name Head Coach
Provo Riverblades To Join Elite U-20 Junior Hockey League - KSL Sports
Provo Riverblades bring elite junior hockey to Utah Valley

One of the three expected teams joins the USPHL West Coast. The Provo Riverblades will play in the Mountain Conference with nearby rivals like Ogden Mustangs and Utah Outliers. Everyone seems confident they can put a team together, but they are certainly rushing. I can't imagine they don't already have a good plan put forward, even if the team was only just announced.

Reactions: mk80 and CB1

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
That’s a huge development, they will be a perfect fit in the NAHL South. They will be able to establish/renew rivalries with a good majority of teams in that division.

Also I’d put money on them having the nicest team bus in the NA3!

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

kij

Jan 31, 2016
That’s a huge development, they will be a perfect fit in the NAHL South. They will be able to establish/renew rivalries with a good majority of teams in that division.

Also I’d put money on them having the nicest team bus in the NA3!
They might have the best bus in the NAHL too!

Will they maintain the NA3 team in 21-22 with the NAHL team or just full on move up and ditch the NA3? Herman has never had 2 teams under his control and I'm not sure if he can get teh fan support for both teams. The Brahmas bring in next to nobody for the NA3 games, even if there's dollar beers, public skates before and after the game, and free admission, they get maybe 150 people in and that's counting the players, refs, and off-ice officials.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Will they maintain the NA3 team in 21-22 with the NAHL team or just full on move up and ditch the NA3? Herman has never had 2 teams under his control and I'm not sure if he can get teh fan support for both teams. The Brahmas bring in next to nobody for the NA3 games, even if there's dollar beers, public skates before and after the game, and free admission, they get maybe 150 people in and that's counting the players, refs, and off-ice officials.
could be a very, very similar model to how the L-A Nordiques initially started and that support generated enough to convince Dr. Antonucci to bring his vision to Lewiston to where the Maine Nordiques have capitalized on that to do what they've started since and now the Academy coming here on top of everything that was already done thus far....

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

Based on the press release on the Rhinos website discussed a certain two tier development system that is usually associated with the organizations that offer NAHL and NA3HL options, I am guessing they will have both in the Rhinos program. Fan support won't be an issue for the NA3HL team. They've never been designed to get fans. From the Generals to the Brahmas, they're designed to be money makers for the NAHL team. Like most Tier III junior teams, they're not built to be sustained for fan support.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

Oh no doubt, that bus is a beauty when I saw it pull up to the Vegas Showcase last year.

@Barclay Donaldson beat me to it. It does sound like they'll have both in play after this season, any fans at an NA3 game are just icing on the cake. For most teams except a small handful in the league, attendance is counting the few families, concession stand workers, coaches, refs, etc.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Thinking ahead here, and barring any changes in teams. I would assume the NAHL would not want a 9 team South Division in 21-22 when El Paso comes in, as it's currently set up for this coming season the South will have 8 teams with the addition of Wichita Falls, and the second most teams it the 7 team East. I would think before 21-22, KC would move to the Midwest Division and bring that to 7, while El Paso slides into the South and that maintains 8 teams in the division.

Again I'm just thinking/ speculating ahead of time here. But what else is there to do right now?

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

kij

Jan 31, 2016
Thinking ahead here, and barring any changes in teams. I would assume the NAHL would not want a 9 team South Division in 21-22 when El Paso comes in, as it's currently set up for this coming season the South will have 8 teams with the addition of Wichita Falls, and the second most teams it the 7 team East. I would think before 21-22, KC would move to the Midwest Division and bring that to 7, while El Paso slides into the South and that maintains 8 teams in the division.

Again I'm just thinking/ speculating ahead of time here. But what else is there to do right now?
Is it possible to add another team down in the south and split that division into 2 separate, 5 team divisions (with heavy crossover schedules)? I know the league used to do 5 team divisions but tries to avoid them when possible. When you consider the other divisions are significantly smaller than the south, it really only seems fair to split the division to give everyone equal chances at the playoffs. What other locations are available down south? It doesn't really matter if it is east/west as all the teams are sitting in a close enough region. I'd love to see the NAHL look into Lafayette, LA but the cajundome/ULL hates hockey. Sad to see as there is a market there. Wichita, Tulsa, somewhere in Arizona?

Reactions: mk80

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Is it possible to add another team down in the south and split that division into 2 separate, 5 team divisions (with heavy crossover schedules)? I know the league used to do 5 team divisions but tries to avoid them when possible. When you consider the other divisions are significantly smaller than the south, it really only seems fair to split the division to give everyone equal chances at the playoffs. What other locations are available down south? It doesn't really matter if it is east/west as all the teams are sitting in a close enough region. I'd love to see the NAHL look into Lafayette, LA but the cajundome/ULL hates hockey. Sad to see as there is a market there. Wichita, Tulsa, somewhere in Arizona?

Rumored teams down there have been thick and heavy throughout the years. They also haven't happened, so you do the math.

Dodge City, KS hosted a neutral site NAHL game that was well-received and there was an ownership group interested in joining the WSHL, even picking out a name. That obviously never happened. 1300 on-hand to witness first-ever NAHL contest in Dodge Dodge City may join Western States Hockey League, a 29-team league. I would like to see them in the NAHL, they have an excellent arena and could be a decent market. However, if it hasn't happened by now, it certainly won't any time soon.

Laredo, TX was linked along with all the other former CHL Texas markets that dropped to the NAHL. They never found the ownership group. Arena is too big. Another market where since it hasn't happened by now, it is safe to say it never will.

There are plenty of other markets that have been suggested, but it has all been wishful thinking and not based in facts (exhibit A: Daily Dish: NAHL South Expansion?).

Lafayette's Cajundome was far too big for the SPHL, let alone the NAHL. Wichita and Tulsa already host ECHL teams, they're certainly not a potential landing spot for a NAHL team.

And we go back to "available locations" against "realistic locations." I can pick out a dozen more locations where I think the NAHL could go. I can't pick out more than a handful where the NAHL would go.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I guess it's possible there could be teams added to divide into two divisions. But I doubt it would happen in time for 21-22 if that sort of scenario were to come into play.

GeauxIceGators

Jul 14, 2019
Rumored teams down there have been thick and heavy throughout the years. They also haven't happened, so you do the math.

Dodge City, KS hosted a neutral site NAHL game that was well-received and there was an ownership group interested in joining the WSHL, even picking out a name. That obviously never happened. 1300 on-hand to witness first-ever NAHL contest in Dodge Dodge City may join Western States Hockey League, a 29-team league. I would like to see them in the NAHL, they have an excellent arena and could be a decent market. However, if it hasn't happened by now, it certainly won't any time soon.

Laredo, TX was linked along with all the other former CHL Texas markets that dropped to the NAHL. They never found the ownership group. Arena is too big. Another market where since it hasn't happened by now, it is safe to say it never will.

There are plenty of other markets that have been suggested, but it has all been wishful thinking and not based in facts (exhibit A: Daily Dish: NAHL South Expansion?).

Lafayette's Cajundome was far too big for the SPHL, let alone the NAHL. Wichita and Tulsa already host ECHL teams, they're certainly not a potential landing spot for a NAHL team.

And we go back to "available locations" against "realistic locations." I can pick out a dozen more locations where I think the NAHL could go. I can't pick out more than a handful where the NAHL would go.

You guys are overlooking a prime market for the NAHL, and it is Lake Charles, Louisiana, former home of the WPHL Lake Charles Ice Pirates.

Well, Lake Charles Louisiana is one of the fastest growing cities in the United States. A new project of our local Plant Industry called Sasol, is a HUGE $12-14 Billion project providing over 6,000 jobs.
We have loyal football fans for our local college team, McNeese State University. Their Stadium holds 20,000, and they have had sell outs or close to sellouts for the past 10 yrs. Our venue, the Lake Charles Civic Center, which seats 7,500 is a very premium venue. The arena has recently undergone a few renovations. New seats, lighting, scoreboard, and more have been added,

Sports is a staple in the lives of many in Southwest Louisiana, and bringing pro sports back to town for the first time since 2013 (when arena football left) could have a positive result. Our population started booming in 2014 when the plant industry grew, but pro sports was long gone!

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
You guys are overlooking a prime market for the NAHL, and it is Lake Charles, Louisiana, former home of the WPHL Lake Charles Ice Pirates.

Well, Lake Charles Louisiana is one of the fastest growing cities in the United States. A new project of our local Plant Industry called Sasol, is a HUGE $12-14 Billion project providing over 6,000 jobs.
We have loyal football fans for our local college team, McNeese State University. Their Stadium holds 20,000, and they have had sell outs or close to sellouts for the past 10 yrs.
Our venue, the Lake Charles Civic Center, which seats 7,500 is a very premium venue. The arena has recently undergone a few renovations. New seats, lighting, scoreboard, and more have been added,

Sports is a staple in the lives of many in Southwest Louisiana, and bringing pro sports back to town for the first time since 2013 (when arena football left) could have a positive result. Our population started booming in 2014 when the plant industry grew, but pro sports was long gone!

Hahahahahaha. Okay. Let's rip apart all the ridiculous things you just said.

First, Lake Charles is not a prime target for the NAHL. They don't have an ice plant or would need a new one. That is more than enough to put off any junior hockey ownership group. They haven't hosted any form of hockey in 20 years. Four years of constantly declining attendance when they did have a hockey team. History of not being able to support teams like the Land Sharks and Swashbucklers. So their market interest is doubtful at the very best. And there is a plethora of news that has linked the NAHL with one market or another over the last 10 years. There has been nothing that links Lake Charles with hockey let alone the NAHL.

Second, having a good following for football has absolutely nothing to do with being able to support a junior hockey team. That is like 6-8 home dates for the most popular sport in America against 30 home dates for a pretty unknown sport. There's a reason there is no pro hockey in places in the Deep South like Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas. You don't quantify taste for junior hockey by saying the local college has a well-supported athletics program. Quantifying potential support for hockey doesn't work like that, hasn't worked like that, and will never work like that.

Lastly, the NAHL isn't "pro sports." But you thinking it is pro hockey sort of explains the rest of your tragically and humorously flawed thinking. Doesn't justify it, but it does explain it.

But enough bashing this outrageous choice for a "prime NAHL market." I think even without what I said, it is pretty obvious this was a choice that got back to "where would we like to see the league," which thankfully is not "where the league will realistically go."

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
It's not a team folding, but this week's episode of "When rich people get bored" should be interesting to watch from the sidelines. The USPHL is looking for a new commissioner. Rumor has it that he sold off all, or part of, the Islanders Hockey Club as well.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
It's not a team folding, but this week's episode of "When rich people get bored" should be interesting to watch from the sidelines. The USPHL is looking for a new commissioner. Rumor has it that he sold off all, or part of, the Islanders Hockey Club as well.

I saw the league is looking for a new commissioner. I did not hear he might have sold off Islanders Hockey Club.

I wonder what repercussions might follow. It would certainly weaken the NCDC. If the NCDC falls apart, the league will follow. That might be good and bad. Good because the league is a blatant money grab and the NAHL could pick up the salvageable pieces before re-regionalizing into solid EHL-like leagues. Bad because the NAHL finally got its act together this past decade because of the threat that never/hasn't materialized from the NCDC.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

The Danbury Colonials rebrand as the Danbury Jr. Hat Tricks to share the name with their NAHL big brother. It also brings the entire organization under the same branding.

Reactions: CB1

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

The Danbury Colonials rebrand as the Danbury Jr. Hat Tricks to share the name with their NAHL big brother. It also brings the entire organization under the same branding.

Good thing I ordered my Colonials logoed long-sleeve T last weekend, so I'll have myself a rare collector's item. That, or I invested 15 bucks in the Diamond Brothers' retirement fund. :huh:

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Long-sleeve? You do not live in a cold place enough for to use this.
Blood thinners & sub-freezing temps in the middle of winter are enough to make this old man need sleeves. But I only wear them when my home health worker isn't around to make sure my hockey jerseys don't get slopped up with my pureed lunch. :wally:

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Corpus Christi goes dark for the season in the NAHL. Sadly I don't think they'll be the only one either, or the NAHL being the only league with teams that do so.

EgMtNhfWoAQCZkG

In other news the current plan for the Fairbanks IceDogs and Kenai River is to play in Minnesota until January

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad