GDT: July 1st - Free Agent Frenzy - Tavares to Toronto 7 years

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Local media (an hour outside of TO) talking about Tavares and how the Leafs are guaranteed a Cup with him on the team. Unbelievable...I might have to move... :laugh:
Has to be unbearable. They certainly upgraded with Tavares, but lost a couple pretty good players as well, and still have iffy D. They also better hope their goalie plays well. This past season they were put out in the first round. Maybe with Tavares they can make it to the second round this season. He's just one player, not even elite of the elite. As annoying it has been to endure the nonstop gloating of their fans over the JT stuff, it will be equally glorious to see the reaction when they still remain Cupless this coming season.

Reactions: Grimey and caz16

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Has to be unbearable. They certainly upgraded with Tavares, but lost a couple pretty good players as well, and still have iffy D. They also better hope their goalie plays well. This past season they were put out in the first round. Maybe with Tavares they can make it to the second round this season. He's just one player, not even elite of the elite. As annoying it has been to endure the nonstop gloating of their fans over the JT stuff, it will be equally glorious to see the reaction when they still remain Cupless this coming season.

Andersen stood on his head and stole a lot of games last season. Can he repeat that performance? Maybe. But if they go into next season with their current D, he'll need to stand on his head again.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
84 points and 37 goals from one guy >>> 87 points 47 from two guys
It's not quite fair, because JVR and Bozak were free agents and signed for more than they were making in T.O., but their salaries last year were a combined $8.7M, so the 2 of them out-produced Tavares and were cheaper than JT will be. the 10 goals and 3 points would need to be replaced by a guy paying T.O. for the honour of playing for them

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Local media (an hour outside of TO) talking about Tavares and how the Leafs are guaranteed a Cup with him on the team. Unbelievable...I might have to move... :laugh:

Really love to know who you were listening to because I haven't heard any media persons say that. Guaranteed cup? You'd have to be an idiot to guarantee a cup in the freaking NHL.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Really love to know who you were listening to because I haven't heard any media persons say that. Guaranteed cup? You'd have to be an idiot to guarantee a cup in the freaking NHL.

not sure who that poster listens to but I often listen to fan590 from TO, while they are excited to have Tavares and who can blame them, the morning team guys were just speaking to the depth of both the Bruins and the the Bolts D as major causes for caution when trying to anoint the Leafs anything. They were, for the TO media, quite realistic recognizing the same issues we see here for the Leafs.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Didn’t factor in human nature to Leafs fans.

The ‘cap problems are fake’ crowd vs the legion of worriers/pessimists are going at it.

We’ve already seen exhibit A when close FOJT Calvin De Hann agent could just not make a deal with Leafs work and he wasn’t taking a 1 year unless he had to.

Within 1000 days there will be a mega Leafs Board thread ‘Kyle Dubas is in over his head’

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Didn’t factor in human nature to Leafs fans.

The ‘cap problems are fake’ crowd vs the legion of worriers/pessimists are going at it.

We’ve already seen exhibit A when close FOJT Calvin De Hann agent could just not make a deal with Leafs work and he wasn’t taking a 1 year unless he had to.

Within 1000 days there will be a mega Leafs Board thread ‘Kyle Dubas is in over his head’

too hot and too lazy to check friend but what kind of space do the B`s have currently if you don`t mind?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Thanks Mike, Leafs with a load of space, obviously things will change when they address the kids contracts, I think next season but that`s a ton of space

Yeah, I think their "cap problems" are greatly exaggerated. Especially because "they have too many good players to sign" isn't actually a problem in a league where trades are still allowed.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Yeah, I think their "cap problems" are greatly exaggerated. Especially because "they have too many good players to sign" isn't actually a problem in a league where trades are still allowed.

I see this as how it will shake out, Marner and Nylander may be on the low side

Tavares 11
Matthews 11
Marner 7
Nylander 6
Marleau 6.3
Kadri 4.5
Kessel 1.2

Rielly 5
Zaitsev 4.5

Andersen 5

61.5 mil. Cap will be what, 82 next year say?

20.5 to fill

6-7 forward spots
4-5 defensemen
back up goalie.

best case is 11 contracts, totaling with 20.5 million to spend. That's not even counting Hyman or Brown (figuring they get dealt)

Maybe they trade Marleau?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I see these as how it will shake out, Marner and Nylander may be on the low side

Tavares 11
Matthews 11
Marner 7
Nylander 6
Marleau 6.3
Kadri 4.5
Kessel 1.2

Rielly 5
Zaitsev 4.5

Andersen 5

20.5 to fill

6-7 forward spots
4-5 defensemen
back up goalie.

best case is 11 contracts, totaling with 20.5 million to spend.

They've done a lot right the last few years, I am confident they have a plan.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I guess history will give us our answers if the Leafs are up against it

There are always to sides to every issue and each side can present reasons why their case is strong

My view is the Leafs will be living pay check to pay check and will be hamstrung making moves.

They have cap money this year which is significant come February but it likely vanishes next when Matthews & Marner take close to 20% of it between them if they perform as they are capable of

Dubas Ace in the hole is cap money this season which if he holds on to can go get expiring contracts of hopefully Toronto’s sake quality defenseman on teams that are out of it

He needs
The Cap space - he has
Expiring contract UFA to be
Quality player
Team willing to move

I’m sure there will be someone and the Leafs will have to pay probably in draft picks

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
They've done a lot right the last few years, I am confident they have a plan.

I agree. I like Dubas. No matter how you slice it though the team is at it's deepest this year. Changes will be made, there is no choice. I love their defensive prospects, but they are thin up front there. It's also not difficult to build a good team when you are "gifted" 5 top 7 picks, but they are gonna have to pay them. Should be fascinating to watch that's for sure. They are going to be good for a very, very long time.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I see this as how it will shake out, Marner and Nylander may be on the low side

Tavares 11
Matthews 11
Marner 7
Nylander 6
Marleau 6.3
Kadri 4.5
Kessel 1.2

Rielly 5
Zaitsev 4.5

Andersen 5

20.5 to fill

6-7 forward spots
4-5 defensemen
back up goalie.

best case is 11 contracts, totaling with 20.5 million to spend. That's not even counting Hyman or Brown (figuring they get dealt)

Thats a great looking fwd core. They could package Nylander and pick up a great young cost controlled Dman if they needed to.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Thanks Mike, Leafs with a load of space, obviously things will change when they address the kids contracts, I think next season but that`s a ton of space

Erik Karlsson watch begins:popcorn:
They have to add a few RFA to that
Nylander

Lou thinks 6/36 others on his thread think 7 +

Also a player to watch as Kapanen. He’s a RFA next year like Marner & Matthews and if he has a good year and he’s talented he could get 3+ which means he’s likely history

The Leafs $16 M - Nylander is for this year and they can really only use it on 1 year deals

It all may be fake though everything else is these days so it’s likely the Leafs can pick up Erik Karlsson after all and fit him in

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I guess history will give us our answers if the Leafs are up against it

There are always to sides to every issue and each side can present reasons why their case is strong

My view is the Leafs will be living pay check to pay check and will be hamstrung making moves.

They have cap money this year which is significant come February but it likely vanishes next when Matthews & Marner take close to 20% of it between them if they perform as they are capable of

Dubas Ace in the hole is cap money this season which if he holds on to can go get expiring contracts of hopefully Toronto’s sake quality defenseman on teams that are out of it

He needs
The Cap space - he has
Expiring contract UFA to be
Quality player
Team willing to move

I’m sure there will be someone and the Leafs will have to pay probably in draft picks

If they have to move Marleau, Hyman and Brown, to me that's a huge problem. They will be nowhere near as good. Again, say Matthews 11, Marner 7, Nylander 6 for next season.

50 million for 8 forwards
10.6 millon for 3 defensemen
5 million for 1 goalie

65.6 million and you need 8 more players to fill out a 20 man lineup. Could fill with a bunch of ELC, but will that make them a better team or worse team?

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
But that still has an effect. The defense would be better, offense would suffer.

If your offense is a 10/10 but your defense is a 5, wouldn't it make sense to sacrifice some of the offense to even it out?

Well he would have publicly lied and everything he says going forward will be met with skepticism

I would think that’s not good but lying and fake are all the rage

If I want to maximize value for a potential star player in Nylander, the first thing I don't do is tell people he's available.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If they have to move Marleau, Hyman and Brown, to me that's a huge problem. They will be nowhere near as good. Again, say Matthews 11, Marner 7, Nylander 6 for next season.

50 million for 8 forwards
10.6 millon for 3 defensemen
5 million for 1 goalie

65.6 million and you need 8 more players to fill out a 20 man lineup. Could fill with a bunch of ELC, but will that make them a better team or worse team?
You think they are going to tell first ballot HOF Patrick Marleau who was probably playing for the Sharks before Kyle Dubas was born they are moving him for cap purposes while he’s still good - after promising whatever to leave SJ and help lead the young plucky Leafs

This is a borderline top 100 all time player still performing with a NMC

not sure if true but said if the Leafs pissed of Marleau and he retired they don’t pay him the cash but retain the cap hit

I would love that if true

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad