GDT: July 1st - Free Agent Frenzy - Tavares to Toronto 7 years

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
And after clamoring about they improved point wise every season, watch them hit no more than 99 this year because Mathews gets injured and disappears, the leadership of JVR and Bozak was undervalued, Andersen no longer stands on his head the entire season etc etc

I could see Florida and Tampa taking over 1-2 with Boston fighting Toronto for spot three

Reactions: TD Charlie

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
just amazed by how jerky Leafs fans are on Twitter...what an unbelievably arrogant fan base

I tend to believe you need to be winners to display true arrogance which they're not. It's simply the huge and desperate need to win which they now have the sentiment and justifiably so that they can

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I will persist in saying they don't need a stud D . Pitt won the cup 2 years ago with a very ordinary d but one heck of a clutch goalie..yes Tav and matthews are not the equivalent of Crosby and Malkin but add youngsters like matter Nylander and Kadri and as I said what they need is a good goali and more precisely a playoff money goali.
If they do happen to trade a forward which you may very well be correct..I'd say it will be Nylander or possibly Kadri.
Don't think they move marner

Did anyone watch Nylander in the playoffs? That was one of the softest performances I've ever seen.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Per TSN Joe Thornton has re-signed with the Sharks. 1 year, 5 million

DhH_arDWsAYPK-J.jpg

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I really like what St. Louis has done.

Adding O’Reilly and Bozak gives them three very solid lines and good strength down the middle.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I really like what St. Louis has done.

Adding O’Reilly and Bozak gives them three very solid lines and good strength down the middle.

Yeah Al but I don’t know if Bozaks value is double that of Riley Nash. Still not too long w term.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Yeah Al but I don’t know if Bozaks value is double that of Riley Nash. Still not too long w term.

Maybe it’s an overpayment, but I think he’s a lot better than Nash.

Either way...I like the approach by Armstrong.

He knows what he needs/wants and aggressively goes out and gets it.

Reactions: Flannelman

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Which is all fine and dandy...

Except STL has had very limited playoff success.

Agreed.

I’d just like a little more aggression/urgency on Sweeney’s part.

May be easier said than done, I realize.

I’m just looking at things from this perspective:

IMO (and I could be wrong) they are only 2 pieces from being a legitimate contender right now.

A number 2/3 Center and one legit 2/3 LD.

The core is aging.

Be aggressive and go out and get those two pieces and if it doesn’t work out, I personally won’t complain.

What I will complain about is standing pat waiting for the kids to develop and either see them not become what they need them to be or see them get there too late, after the core is past their peak.
(Mainly Bergy, Krejci and Rask)

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Local media (an hour outside of TO) talking about Tavares and how the Leafs are guaranteed a Cup with him on the team. Unbelievable...I might have to move... :laugh:

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Today's Herald: Lamoriello took what could be perceived as a shot at Tavares and the previous regime by saying, "John has achieved great individual success on the ice" with the Islanders

Makes wonder just how long before Snow receives his walking papers?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad