GDT: July 1st - Free Agent Frenzy - Tavares to Toronto 7 years

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
65.6 million and you need 8 more players to fill out a 20 man lineup. Could fill with a bunch of ELC, but will that make them a better team or worse team?

Shouldn't be an issue. Bruins are spending around 7,8 million combined on the bottom-8 paid forwards on the roster. That's really how you should build your team in the cap era. Pay top dollar to your top guys and fill the rest of the team with players on ELCs or very cheap deals.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I think everyone is overlooking the Leafs goaltending factor too. The D they have on paper is not great but Pittsburgh's wasn't great when they won back to back.

I think Andersen is overrated, though. Against the Bruins, go look at his save % in the games the Bruins won vs the games the Leafs won. He stole the games they won and was atrocious in the games they lost. I wouldn't be super confident in him if I was a Leafs fan.

Reactions: sarge88

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think everyone is overlooking the Leafs goaltending factor too. The D they have on paper is not great but Pittsburgh's wasn't great when they won back to back.

I think Andersen is overrated, though. Against the Bruins, go look at his save % in the games the Bruins won vs the games the Leafs won. He stole the games they won and was atrocious in the games they lost. I wouldn't be super confident in him if I was a Leafs fan.

I think Anderson is great but they wore him out and until they solidify their defense he’ll be in that situation again.

Reactions: missingchicklet

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I think Anderson is great but they wore him out and until they solidify their defense he’ll be in that situation again.
Indeed. Babcock rode him too much late in the season, and it showed. Andersen was losing focus way more than usual and did not look good. He seemed to get a bit of a second wind for a couple games in the playoffs, but he still didn't play as well as he had earlier in the season. An .896 sv pct in the playoffs really hurt the Leafs. Maybe I am being naive, but the Leafs don't scare me going into next season. Tampa (should be better in 2018-19 than last season) and Washington (mainly just because they own the Bs) legit scare me, however.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
3.75 per. Great deal for them IMO.

Jenner scored 30 three seasons ago, but had only 31 goals combined the last two years and 66 pts.

$3.75m for a guy that’s only going to give you 33 points and has trended down doesn’t seem like a great deal. It’s the going rate I would say?

Tanner Pearson for $3.75m is a really good deal.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Jenner scored 30 three seasons ago, but had only 31 goals combined the last two years and 66 pts.

$3.75m for a guy that’s only going to give you 33 points and has trended down doesn’t seem like a great deal. It’s the going rate I would say?

In regards to the Riley Nash, Roussell and Beagle deals that we just saw. Locks him up through 30 years old, so he "should" be in the prime of his career. Jenner is a great price for his 15 ish goals, 200+ hits, over 50% fo, 2nd pk unit.... I would take him at that number every day of the week for my 3c.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
In regards to the Riley Nash, Roussell and Beagle deals that we just saw. Locks him up through 30 years old, so he "should" be in the prime of his career. Jenner is a great price for his 15 ish goals, 200+ hits, over 50% fo, 2nd pk unit.... I would take him at that number every day of the week for my 3c.

That’s because you have a man crush on Jenner :laugh:

It’s not an awful deal, but I think with Jenner, what you see is what you get. When he popped 30 I thought he might be a next level guy, but it appears he’s found his level. If he was a little quicker, I would like him a lot better.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
That’s because you have a man crush on Jenner :laugh:

It’s not an awful deal, but I think with Jenner, what you see is what you get. When he popped 30 I thought he might be a next level guy, but it appears he’s found his level. If he was a little quicker, I would like him a lot better.

True on the man crush and true about his foot speed. :)

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

3.75m is really not a lot with an 80m cap. Proportionally speaking it would be like paying someone around 2.8m with a 60m cap.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
I see this as how it will shake out, Marner and Nylander may be on the low side

Tavares 11
Matthews 11
Marner 7
Nylander 6
Marleau 6.3
Kadri 4.5
Kessel 1.2

Rielly 5
Zaitsev 4.5

Andersen 5

61.5 mil. Cap will be what, 82 next year say?

20.5 to fill

6-7 forward spots
4-5 defensemen
back up goalie.

best case is 11 contracts, totaling with 20.5 million to spend. That's not even counting Hyman or Brown (figuring they get dealt)

Maybe they trade Marleau?

I think you're missing the 5.3m of Horton that goes on LTIR.

Here's what I came up with quickly. AAVs could be off (Marner, Nylander, Johnsson, Kapanen, Matthews).

AVh8t2R.png

6m for a backup, 2 dmen, and an extra skater or two.

When you break down the cap it's bsaically: fine this year, really tight next year, and then Marleau / Horton are off the books so it makes things easier. Obviously will need to develop well so there are cheap bargain players throughout the roster, but thats essentially how you win in todays league.

Reactions: Hamilton Brian

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think you're missing the 5.3m of Horton that goes on LTIR.

Here's what I came up with quickly. AAVs could be off (Marner, Nylander, Johnsson, Kapanen, Matthews).

AVh8t2R.png

6m for a backup, 2 dmen, and an extra skater or two.

When you break down the cap it's bsaically: fine this year, really tight next year, and then Marleau / Horton are off the books so it makes things easier. Obviously will need to develop well so there are cheap bargain players throughout the roster, but thats essentially how you win in todays league.

You can't seriously be confident in that defense.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
3.75m is really not a lot with an 80m cap. Proportionally speaking it would be like paying someone around 2.8m with a 60m cap.

I want to be clear, it’s not an awful deal, it’s just not a bargain. That’s why I said he got the “going rate”.

In other news, Athanasiou signs a 2 year deal at $3m per. Sounds about right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->