GDT: July 1st, 2018 - Canes Free Agency Thread

Which goalie do the Canes sign tomorrow?

• Total voters

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
curious on how much he got. great for him personally, but if we allowed a player to walk away without a contract from as diminished of a forward group as this was last year that's not a great sign. sometimes players in large markets are victims of overexposure, this is what a player who puts up good eye test numbers in a market nobody really watches can get. oddly enough, we're pricing right into the range of victor rask being our 3rd center and not being drastically overpaid if he can recover that 45 point form.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
He’s been productive for a 3rd center. Everyone is desperate for that. Of course 20 teams want him.
Totally agree and never understood, aside from BP's perplexing usage - an almost obsessive commitment to handedness - the barrage of criticism here for Ryan. An HF-style piling on IMO. Not dissimilar to Riley Nash.

As for G's, I'd say Lehner but he's hardly THE answer.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Totally agree and never understood, aside from BP's perplexing usage - an almost obsessive commitment to handedness - the barrage of criticism here for Ryan. An HF-style piling on IMO. Not dissimilar to Riley Nash.

As for G's, I'd say Lehner but he's hardly THE answer.

I think that’s exactly the answer. Kind of like LaRose in the past, and even to some extent, Hainsey and other defensemen. I think most of the derogatory comments re: Ryan came about because of usage.

Part of it is on the coach for making those usage decisions and part of it is because the team didn’t have enough talent to make it harder for the coach to use him that way.

Ryan is a decent option as a 3rd/4th line C with some playmaking ability, but he’s weak and soft and needs some time and space to make plays. When paired with other small, soft guys (Skinner, Stempniak), it exasperates the issue.

I can see why other teams were interested him. Put him with the right players, use him the right way and he can be effective.

JWEKD

Apr 9, 2013
When he signed it he was entering his best years, not leaving his prime like JVR is.
Oh OK. You didn't specify who you were talking about and said "players". Coming right after a post about Skinner I for sure thought you were trying to justify not paying him.

Philly may regret the term but they have plenty of cap space. 7 is the going rate if you want to play the FA game.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
JVR to Flyers. Ouch, great lineup.

JVR/ Giroux/ Voracek
Weal/ Couturier/ Konecny
Lindblom/ Patrick/ Simmonds
Raffl/ Laughton/ Weise
Vecchione, Varone, Vorobyev

Provorov/ Gudas
Gostibehere/ Macdonald
Sanheim/ Myers
Morin/ Hagg

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Carter Hutton gets 3 years x $2.75 million

You are very welcome rest of the league. Canes taught everyone a valuable lesson on why you don't give a backup a huge contract.

Reports from a couple places saying goalies left money of the table. Canes contacted multiple goalies and nearly all the "top" ones are gone. Sounds like interest was pretty low for a team that should be very desperate.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad