GDT: July 1st, 2018 - Canes Free Agency Thread

Which goalie do the Canes sign tomorrow?

• Total voters

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I really think it's plausible too. I think it comes down to how much each GM values their guy and their need so whether it's a 1 for 1 and a down year by Faulk is used in talks I have no idea. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep moving Raddysh who has potential to be a future 20-30 goal guy and maybe since Yzerman tends to do some magic, a 2nd? Either way I'd do what I did above and you guys get Johnson and we can both help put these Toronto f***ers in their place!

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I really think it's plausible too. I think it comes down to how much each GM values their guy and their need so whether it's a 1 for 1 and a down year by Faulk is used in talks I have no idea. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep moving Raddysh who has potential to be a future 20-30 goal guy and maybe since Yzerman tends to do some magic, a 2nd? Either way I'd do what I did above and you guys get Johnson and we can both help put these Toronto ****ers in their place!
I've had that in my mind as a move that would work even before recent developments. I too think it would be an outstanding fit for both teams. I don't know if any trade clauses might get in the way of the move, but I do wonder if Peters might put in a good word for us to Johnson. I don't think he hates us or hated his time here even after choosing to leave.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Oh, and it's the day before the 4th of July, and between the goalie debates, and this signing, this board is freaking buzzing. And it will only continue with other moves likely coming at some point. This is great. Once again, there haven't been many dull moments since Dundon came aboard (other than the end of the season itself). I'll take that. Missing Pete Karmanos my ass to those that have made that comment.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I've had that in my mind as a move that would work even before recent developments. I too think it would be an outstanding fit for both teams. I don't know if any trade clauses might get in the way of the move, but I do wonder if Peters might put in a good word for us to Johnson. I don't think he hates us or hated his time here even after choosing to leave.

A couple posters have brought this up for over a season now and after crunching our numbers for projected resignings and adding Karlsson, we would have a lot of ELCs and lose 2 of Gourde, Johnson, Palat or Killorn. Too many rookies in the middle six and on the blueline. Faulk gives us flexibility on the cap and he's damn good. Him and Hedman would be a dream.

Johnson is still good for 50 points and provides solid two way play but he's just gone down our pecking order. He went from borderline 1C, then 2C, then 2RW and now he's pretty much been surpassed by Gourde. I think a change of scenery could really rejuvenate him. I don't think you guys signed De Haan for nothing. Got a strong feeling this is capable of happening.

Johnson would have to waive his NTC which is a bummer but Carolina isn't exactly Ottawa either. You guys have a good group there and while it's a step down from Tampa, its not really a basement team that's going to go through dark times. Your defense looks very, very good and providing you hang onto Skinner that forward group isn't anything to write off either. I can see you guys doing what the Devils did and making life tough for a lot of teams.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
It seems unlikely we're going to get our true #1 center in any way other than Necas developing, or Aho converting what he's done at wing over to center, and continuing his development.

In lieu of that, I'd be thrilled to get Johnson, and I think it would put us in a light that compares very favorable to some of the Nashville teams prior to Johansen and Turris coming aboard, that may not have a high end center, but are damn solid everywhere and full of depth. Even as far as our goalie situation is concerned, prior to Rinne, they had some mediocre goalies that were made to look good behind their defense.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
It seems unlikely we're going to get our true #1 center in any way other than Necas developing, or Aho converting what he's done at wing over to center, and continuing his development.

In lieu of that, I'd be thrilled to get Johnson, and I think it would put us in a light that compares very favorable to some of the Nashville teams prior to Johansen and Turris coming aboard, that may not have a high end center, but are damn solid everywhere and full of depth. Even as far as our goalie situation is concerned, prior to Rinne, they had some mediocre goalies that were made to look good behind their defense.

Not just that but any future UFA doesn't look at a list of teams and skip right over Carolina anymore. Serious moves and making changes to compete with youth and trying to improve attracts UFAs. We would have never landed the guys we have had prior to Yzerman taking over, especially the way we have. Getting McD? Having Karlsson interested in US?! Continue trading For Hamiltons, signings De Haans, etc and big fish will come. You're a 1C away from me saying "damn it" should we play in the postseason.

And for all things under the sun, don't trade Skinner to Pittsburgh.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
This was pretty much the exact thoughts I was having as I took my dog out for a walk a few minutes ago, and it had me grinning ear to ear. There are a lot of great possibilities for a Faulk trade now. This might also explain some of our patience on trades.

As for a Johnson for Faulk, or by all means Johnson+ for Faulk, I'd gladly do that.
I dunno, I'm just... not at all gungho about Johnson, he was GREAT in 13-14 but since then he's left me wanting more. I honestly don't see him as that much better then Rask was while healthy, though very different players to be sure. If Tampa had a bluechip goalie prospect in their system as well I'd considering something around Johnson+goalie for Faulk and try to solve two problems at one time.

Stammertime91

Dec 13, 2011
I dunno, I'm just... not at all gungho about Johnson, he was GREAT in 13-14 but since then he's left me wanting more. I honestly don't see him as that much better then Rask was while healthy, though very different players to be sure. If Tampa had a bluechip goalie prospect in their system as well I'd considering something around Johnson+goalie for Faulk and try to solve two problems at one time.

Unfortunately nothing that would help you right now. Domingue just resigned as our backup and isn't exactly much better than you guys playing what you have.

Johnson is underwhelming at times but I feel him and Palat are pretty much complacent. I get disappointed with him throughout the year but he still manages to produce. He's definitely not what he was a few years ago so I'm not selling you poop painted gold but he's still a good player. We just can't afford to hang onto everybody. If it was between Killorn, Palat and Johnson with no strings attached, I would keep Johnson over the other two but he's at 5M, a 50 point guy capable of playing C and RW and is a pretty good playoff performer. He did have a couple season before that weren't so hot but I do feel he's the type that would have a bit of a revival if moved somewhere else.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Unfortunately nothing that would help you right now. Domingue just resigned as our backup and isn't exactly much better than you guys playing what you have.

Johnson is underwhelming at times but I feel him and Palat are pretty much complacent. I get disappointed with him throughout the year but he still manages to produce. He's definitely not what he was a few years ago so I'm not selling you poop painted gold but he's still a good player. We just can't afford to hang onto everybody. If it was between Killorn, Palat and Johnson with no strings attached, I would keep Johnson over the other two but he's at 5M, a 50 point guy capable of playing C and RW and is a pretty good playoff performer. He did have a couple season before that weren't so hot but I do feel he's the type that would have a bit of a revival if moved somewhere else.
Yeah the one upside of Johnson compared to Rask is that he's just outright a significantly faster player that could be a much better fit on a line with Aho and Turbo (triplets2.0?), of course that would leave us right back with having to find a landing place for Rask :laugh:

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Yeah the one upside of Johnson compared to Rask is that he's just outright a significantly faster player that could be a much better fit on a line with Aho and Turbo (triplets2.0?), of course that would leave us right back with having to find a landing place for Rask :laugh:

Martinook - Rask - McGinn 4th line

rip Zykov

Zykov - Staal - Williams 3rd line

What's the return on Skinner then?

Packaged for a Center

You know, it might be ok to just take some futures here. Either for Faulk, Skinner or both. Our biggest issue will not be filling out a roster with Skinner and Faulk gone, but filling out one that gets to the cap floor.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I know there's pretty much no chance of this, but it's something I've been wondering. Waddell, and Dundon to an extent, have been very vocal in the media, to the point that they are clearly negotiating and trying to create leverage in certain situations through the media. I wonder if they've made a point of talking up how Scott's problems were outlook and weight, and how he's working so hard on those things in a similar fashion.

There's the long shot of getting some sucker to bite on him, maybe while adding value with him and/or retaining. But I wonder if they are also doing it to increase their leverage in any trade talks that still might materialize for Skinner and Faulk that might include goalies, whether someone proven, or a close to prime time prospect. Maybe they can go into talks and convince other teams that goalie isn't something we're desperate for and improve our position to trade. That part actually doesn't seem too unlikely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad