GDT: July 1 - Free Agent National Holiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Yes Okposo .70 ppg vs JVR .62 suggests that. JVR will be UFA @ 29 yrs old and likely want a 6-7-8 x 7m deal. Okposo, 7x6 @ 28yrs old.

You're delusional. Okposo is a good player end of story.

That doesn't mean you have to give it to him.

If that's JVR's demand, then I expect him gone come TD.

I like the Okposo signing but the numbers are scary, one of the things I like about it is Buffalo signed him and not Toronto.

Roster flexibility is almost as valuable as any player you can sign.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
To be fair Okposo had the luck to play with Tavares. Nuff said.

Oh ffs here we go again. Even listen to the guys on the panel, "Great player" "Plays both ends" "Physical" etc etc. Good old it's because who he plays with. JVR broke 60pts once and 50 once. Okposo 50+ x2 and 60x2 (once 69pts)

On paper JVR vs Okposo. Okposo wins.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Today is proving yet again why you should never use free agency to fill major holes - the market is just too inflated.

The best deals of the day like Stall are short in term and lowish in capspace. Wild did well.

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner
to be fair, JVR broke his flipping foot.

again, I would be the first person to kick JVR out if the right defenseman came up, but I would also consider if he wants to stay in Toronto he could take less. (everyone was screaming how Kadri would want 6, etc, and really pump money into Kadri, and they both take very affordable, "work with the team" deals." JVR could easily do that.

if JVR doesn't return a top pairing right handed shot defencemen, I'd welcome him back and resign him, no problem. We're looking at a 6-7 million cap hit which is managable. Grass is always greener to most people here, I don't get it.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
I just want one of Demers, Hamhuis. Matt Martin and Devante Smith-Pelley woudl be nice but I just like both of those guys.

Also pound on the young guys? Lol we have a big body on every line that'll shove and push, not like any real big guy does anything else in this eras NHL. Also the amount of $$$ given out to 3C's makes Bozaks contract look tame.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Okposo, Ladd and Eriksson all have signing bonus more than 50% of their dollars.

Lmao what's with this buyout proof contracts.

they are dumb. that's what it is.
i'm not adverse to having like 2ish million in there, but 50% of your contract is dumb.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dan Hamhuis close to be signing soon...hope it's us. Having a feeling it is Dallas though.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
JVR would easily get term in this market. Now may be the best time to trade him tbh

Correct answer! Sadly the free replacement is not available, Buffalo trumped us at another position with Okposo and they know it. Now it's more about timing our run because Buffalo will be clashing Winnipeg before long for contention.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Oh ffs here we go again. Even listen to the guys on the panel, "Great player" "Plays both ends" "Physical" etc etc. Good old it's because who he plays with. JVR broke 60pts once and 50 once. Okposo 50+ x2 and 60x2 (once 69pts)

On paper JVR vs Okposo. Okposo wins.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, but the quality of line mates is a valid observation, especially when that quality is so lopsided.
If JVR played with a centre even close to Tavares, then the point would be moot.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Chris JohnstonVerified account
‏@reporterchris
NHL teams committed $336M in salaries during the first hour of free agency, per @SNstats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad