Julien Shakes It UP

member 96824

He simply isn't ready for that. He's not terribly responsible playing the wing as it is.

2 years ago...yeah. Last year even...yeah.

Not the Tyler Seguin I've watched this year. He's absolutely responsible defensively. Is he banging in the corner? No...but you don't need 12 forwards who are banging contrary to alot of Bruin fans belief.

The only way Seguin can get ready to play center is by playing center.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Who knows, I like Spooner a lot but how does he get to jump right between Lucic and Horton before Seguin.

Because Krejci was hurt and Lucic and Horton were/are playing like crap.

I could have said same thing if he put Spooner between Bergeron and Marchand and moved Seguin between L and H. "Why does Spooner immediately get to center our two most productive forwards?"

NinthSpoke06

Nov 30, 2009
Watertown, MA
Spooner isn't defensively responsible enough to play center in the NHL yet. That is why he was sent down.

He would make a good wing on the third line though IMO, so I'm not sure why the team isn't willing to try that.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Not the Tyler Seguin I've watched this year. He's absolutely responsible defensively. Is he banging in the corner? No...but you don't need 12 forwards who are banging contrary to alot of Bruin fans belief.

He's certainly better this year, and I understand that he has to play center at some point. I just don' t get the feeling that he has matured enough to play such an important position.

I suppose CJ could try him out for a few games; no problem with that.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/

Brad Marchand and Daniel Paille were promoted, a struggling Milan Lucic was essentially demoted, and the Bruins skated with four completely new lines during a Sunday morning practice at the TD Garden.

The shake-up:

Brad Marchand - David Krejci - Nathan Horton
Daniel Paille - Patrice Bergeron - Tyler Seguin
Milan Lucic - Rich Peverley - Jordan Caron
Jay Pandolfo - Gregory Campbell - Shawn Thornton

Asked what went into the change, coach Claude Julien said, "Because I can. Because I’m the coach. And every once in a while you have to do those things. It’s as simple as that."

I like the shake-up part of this, and it might help to balance the lines, but why is Pandolfo still in the line-up? :huh:

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I'm also disappointed Spooner is gone. It isn't as if we can sneeze at any speed at center.

Why do you think Julien is hesitant to give Seguin a shot?

Who knows, I like Spooner a lot but how does he get to jump right between Lucic and Horton before Seguin.

I am not necessarily a fan of moving Seguin off the wing, nor of breaking up that Bergeron line. I get why Spooner played between Lucic and Horton, and I don't think it was tied to him jumping ahead of anyone else. It was to prevent breaking up the only truly productive line on the team at the moment.

Meanwhile, I'd like to know why Julien is so hesitant regarding playing Spooner between Caron and Peverley. To me that is such a natural fit, outside of the fact that you have two AHL players on the 3rd line.

But is Pandolfo really providing any NHL experience the line or team would miss?

Kaoz*

How Lucic doesn't average 2 shots per game is beyond me. The guy should be making space for himself and others, and just shooting from in tight and hammering rebounds from 2 feet away. How is he a finesse guy on offense all of a sudden? Does not compute.

In order for there to be a rebound, one of Krejci or Horton have to put the puck on net.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012

Completely agree.
I just don't get why he gave Spooner the chance to center but not to Seguin.
This is so annoying. Yes, maybe Seguin isn't ready (by Clode's standards) but he could at least give him a shot at it.

GodTukka*

I like it.

Only gripe is Pandolfo somehow survives, that line needs speed and Spooner could fit well (Though i'm not sure if fans would like the idea of being put on the 4th line)

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I am not necessarily a fan of moving Seguin off the wing, nor of breaking up that Bergeron line. I get why Spooner played between Lucic and Horton, and I don't think it was tied to him jumping ahead of anyone else. It was to prevent breaking up the only truly productive line on the team at the moment.

Meanwhile, I'd like to know why Julien is so hesitant regarding playing Spooner between Caron and Peverley. To me that is such a natural fit, outside of the fact that you have two AHL players on the 3rd line.

But is Pandolfo really providing any NHL experience the line or team would miss?

Nothing I can see! ...and Chia must be disappointed in Pandolfo as well.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Awesome!!! Can't wait to see paille getting top 6 mins he deserves a promotion.. Maybe he'll show more of a scoring touch w a couple playmakers on his line :)

Now thats a problem.... I'm all for moving him up... but he's not a scorer.

I always thought with hi hustle speed and board that he'd work well with scorers.... not play makers

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Awesome!!! Can't wait to see paille getting top 6 mins he deserves a promotion.. Maybe he'll show more of a scoring touch w a couple playmakers on his line :)

Now thats a problem.... I'm all for moving him up... but he's not a scorer.

I always thought with hi hustle speed and board that he'd work well with scorers.... not play makers

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm sorry but splitting up Bergeron and Marchand is such a boneheaded move. Take Seguin off that line if you want to spread the wealth. Bergeron and Marchand easily have the most chemistry on the team. I approve of changing things up but that is so stupid.

OutspokenMinority*

I'm sorry but splitting up Bergeron and Marchand is such a boneheaded move. Take Seguin off that line if you want to spread the wealth. Bergeron and Marchand easily have the most chemistry on the team. I approve of changing things up but that is so stupid.

No disagreement, but Marchand and Krejci might be able to duplicate that and Krejci can finish better than Bergy once he gets on a roll. The problem will come each and every time they pass it to Horton, who should have been the first player demoted.

Marchand-Krejci-Seguin
Looch-Bergy-Horton/Iginla
Paille-Peverly-Caron/Horton

As much as I am a Paille fan, I think the right way to "promote" him is one line at a time and I think he and Peverly are a better fit than he and Bergy. So basically just swap Bergy and Krejci and find a way to get Iginla, preferably by getting rid of Nathan Horton, who is not good.

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
The lines Julien went to will not work, Horton does nothing for Krejci.
This to me is a short term mix up created only to wake up Lucic.
Krejci needs a shooter with him and Horton has gone south when it comes to putting pucks on net.

If you wanted to make a worthwhile change you'd do something like this and it may look like this in the near future, and it would also keep a guy like Spooner in the mix as well by giving him a responsible winger in Paille and a big body like Horton...But you just get the sense that Julien wants no part of Spooner right now. Julien is looking to win a cup not develop anyone and yet Spooner with 20 games under his belt may just bring an Element to the Bruins that Julien may crave later on.

But I must say this is not a Stanley cup team, upgrades need to be made no matter what Julien does. And a number 4 defenceman is a huge part of that as well.

Lucic Krejci Seguin
Marchand Bergeron Peverly
Paille Spooner Horton
Caron Campbell Thornton

Afam*

I agree with those who said to put in Mcdermaid. The kid seems fiesty and brings everything thorton does. He is not afraid to drop the gloves. Can definitely fight and doesn't turn the puck over that often. I love thorton as our enforcer, also like him as a team player but McD can do the samething plus he is younger.

On another note, this is why some of us are mad at Julien. This move is 2 months late. Some of us here had been saying too promote marchand to the top line and demote lucic and horton. He is slow so to react and make any adjustments/moves. ImHO, he kept Lucic on that line because of his name only. You better believe if it was Seguin or kelly struggling on the top line for two months, he would have already demoted them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schalkenullvier*

I think they don't play Seguion at center because they don't trust him at all at face-offs. You'd have to put Pevs on his wing to take faceoffs pretty much. On PPs with the first unit if Krejci gets thrown out, it's always Lucic who comes in not Seguin.

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
I agree with those who said to put in Mcdermaid. The kid seems fiesty and brings everything thorton does. He is not afraid to drop the gloves. Can definitely fight and doesn't turn the puck over that often. I love thorton as our enforcer, also like him as a team player but McD can do the samething plus he is younger.

On another note, this is why some of us are mad at Julien. This move is 2 months late. Some of us here had been saying too promote marchand to the top line and demote lucic and horton. He is slow so to react and make any adjustments/moves. ImHO, he kept Lucic on that line because of his name only. You better believe if it was Seguin or kelly struggling on the top line for two months, he would have already demoted them.

I have a soft spot for McD too but I wouldn't say he's anywhere near Thorntons level at this point. And IMO Thornton has been on fire for the last 3-4 games. Besides being a better fighter and hockey player he's very verbal both on the bench and on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad