Julien on Bergevin and Drouin

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
CJ put galchenyuk on 4th line. Benched beaulieu. Had a love affair with King.

Every coach has their flaws so it's okay to an extent but I think he's got same mentality as MT. He's a better coach and more articulate but deep down they're from same school of thought.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Every coach has their flaws so it's okay to an extent but I think he's got same mentality as MT. He's a better coach and more articulate but deep down they're from same school of thought.

Problem is not really to have favorite players. All coaches have favorite players and players they hate and throw in their doghouse.

MT problem is the players he falls in love with are simply not worth it. They actually end up in Europe after they leave MT. First time he was here he was overplaying an old Petrov. I liked Petrov but he ended up in Europe 2 years after leaving our team. He did the same with the Pens and Michel Ouellet. Ouellete ended up in Europe 3 years after leaving the Pens. Did it again here with DD. DD is not in Europe but he was playing on OIlers 4th line last year.

Not a fan of Julien but the first time he was here he decided to bet on Ryder and Ribeiro and he was right both of them had good and long career. With Boston most of the players he decided to bet on did the job and had long career. He's not perfect but his track record at icing to right players is imo far better than MT.

If you send AG in your doghouse and prefer to ice prime time Bergeron and Krejci you're not necessarily doing something wrong. If you send AG in your doghouse and tell the media you trust DD more then it's a completely different story.

Last edited:

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Drouin really needs to be a homerun if this team is going to take a step forward. I think both Julien and Bergevin know this and they'll give him every opportunity to make the most of his talent. It would be nice if they gave the same chances to Galchenyuk but I'm not sure if that ship has sailed. Seeing how Julien handles' Galchenyuk over the course of a full season is something I look forward to.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I'm a Clode fan. Yeah, he's a whiney beeotch at times with the refs, but there are lots of coaches that fall into this category.

I do like that he still enjoys the physical part of the game and puts an effort into having his teams play with an edge. I like that he holds his players accountable in regards to their defensive play and if they don't buy in, they sit. I do wish he'd open it up offensively, but that's just not his thing, so we need to live with it.

Excited for the season to get going and having the guys go through an entire training camp with Clode.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I just really hope that Drouin and Chucky are TREATED EQUALLY.... by clod.

I mean if Chucky struggles and finds himself on the 4th line cause of errors mistakes etc and drouin makes the same crap plays yet gets the DD treatment..... well that would make my blood boil.

I'm happy to have Clod as our HC.... however the only reason for that is because it got rid of MT.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Thomas made Claude Julien look good? That might just be the most ridiculous thing ever written on these boards.
Could you please declare yourself a Leafs or a Senators fan when doing so?
So Thomas didn't make Clod look good? So he didn't carry their sorry, whiny, dirty team to a Cup?

You sure you're a Habs fan? I think the Bruins would like someone with your skewed perspective.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

I mean if Chucky struggles and finds himself on the 4th line cause of errors mistakes etc and drouin makes the same crap plays yet gets the DD treatment..... well that would make my blood boil.

I'm happy to have Clod as our HC.... however the only reason for that is because it got rid of MT.

What other french speaking head coach would you have preferred?

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

That's a fair and implicit fear we all have.

I don't think they'll be treated equally. Desharnais, who sucks, was given lifeline after lifeline - Drouin who is actually talented will be the golden boy. If he can carry us, then whatever that's fine, but if he's within the same realm as Chucky then I'd hope they both get breaks. But Clod showed his hand when he played Chucky with Ott and Martinsen and overplayed that but Dwight King.

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
This whole Drouin at center thing is going to be a mistake if that's what the plan is.

Maybe, but if it worked that would be very good. If Drouin can play center, and he very well may, then that would so significantly help the Habs that I can't see them not giving it a try. AG - Drouin or Drouin - AG as 1C-2C would be a very very good lineup if it worked.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You don't find it weird he names 2 centers when talking about Tampa? And then says we'll give him the opportunity to flourish... And throws in a "with our needs".

It is very interesting IMO. How do you mention Johnson over Kucherov? I think they are definitely looking at Drouin at Center.

Pacioretty-Drouin-Galchenyuk?

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
What other french speaking head coach would you have preferred?

If I had my way I wouldn't have a french speaking coach, unless they are the best fit for the team. However that isn't possible on this team so I would have rather we canned MT earlier and got Guy B.

wishful thinking I know....

That's a fair and implicit fear we all have.

I don't think they'll be treated equally. Desharnais, who sucks, was given lifeline after lifeline - Drouin who is actually talented will be the golden boy. If he can carry us, then whatever that's fine, but if he's within the same realm as Chucky then I'd hope they both get breaks. But Clod showed his hand when he played Chucky with Ott and Martinsen and overplayed that but Dwight King.

I fear you are correct. All the evidence thus far points to that JD will be given more room to mess up then AG.

DD was given so bloody much from pappa MT, so much. :cry:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
If I had my way I wouldn't have a french speaking coach, unless they are the best fit for the team. However that isn't possible on this team so I would have rather we canned MT earlier and got Guy B.

wishful thinking I know....

Me as well.

The Bond villain...he's basically Julien lite, but even more boring.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

So do I. Preferential treatment is never good. However, if the head coach gives more rope to one player over another when they make the same mistakes, it can have something to do with attitude and effort put in to rectify the problem.

If player A and player B make the same mistakes and I'm open and up front with them, including the same positive reinforcement, pat on the back, whatever and the reaction from player A is yeah, yeah (which could as well be go fukc yourself, coach) and the reaction from player B is a more attentive listen, I'm already willing to give player B a bigger benefit of the doubt if he makes the same mistake again.

At some point, though, for both players, it becomes evident who is genuinely striving to improve and who isn't, regardless of how they took in the information initially.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Galchenyuk ended up the 4th line because his play brought him there. He was brutally bad upon return from injury....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This whole Drouin at center thing is going to be a mistake if that's what the plan is.

Mistake? How? We will destroy his confidence as a player if it don't work out? I've watched Drouin play very closely in his junior years. He was drafted as a 16 year old and decided to stay in Quebec to play midget AAA. About half way through that season, he ended up going to the Mooseheads and only got better with each game. He is a spark plug like Gallagher but with more speed and talent. I think he is ready and will welcome the challenge the city of Montreal with throw his way. We got a gem on our hands and I think he brings out the best of Galchenyuk too. These two are going to feed off of each other well IMO. Drouin is only touching his potential now. He will get better!

No harm in exploring options. The problem is with the media and some unhappy fans if the exploring of options don't turn out. People will jump at the first chance to say "see I told you it wouldn't work" So what.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

Let's be honest for a second; Galchenyuk was plain bad at year's end and even worse in the playoffs.

Beaulieu was uneven to be polite and frankly lost to be honest.

King was an absolute slug, no argument here.

So the way I see it, Julien was maybe slow to react to King's ineptness but overall he was playing the players that he could at least trust to not **** up and the ones that left it on the ice.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
So Thomas didn't make Clod look good? So he didn't carry their sorry, whiny, dirty team to a Cup?

You sure you're a Habs fan? I think the Bruins would like someone with your skewed perspective.

Claude (and Chara) made Thomas looks good, or actually significantly better than he was (because Thomas was actually very good... but there's no denying Claude helped him look like a God, something he clearly wasn't)

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Problem is not really to have favorite players. All coaches have favorite players and players they hate and throw in their doghouse.

MT problem is the players he falls in love with are simply not worth it. They actually end up in Europe after they leave MT. First time he was here he was overplaying an old Petrov. I liked Petrov but he ended up in Europe 2 years after leaving our team. He did the same with the Pens and Michel Ouellet. Ouellete ended up in Europe 3 years after leaving the Pens. Did it again here with DD. DD is not in Europe but he was playing on OIlers 4th line last year.

Not a fan of Julien but the first time he was here he decided to bet on Ryder and Ribeiro and he was right both of them had good and long career. With Boston most of the players he decided to bet on did the job and had long career. He's not perfect but his track record at icing to right players is imo far better than MT.

If you send AG in your doghouse and prefer to ice prime time Bergeron and Krejci you're not necessarily doing something wrong. If you send AG in your doghouse and tell the media you trust DD more then it's a completely different story.

Like I said CJ and MT are from same school of thought. Pointing to MT's flaws is fair, but it doesn't erase CJs.

He was in love with King...oh he's also in Europe.

He put galchenyuk on 4th line wing so Danault and Shaw can be top 9 centers ahead of him.

CJ is a snake. Have you not seen his press conferences in Boston? He's a good coach with an old mentality. He cries like a ***** in front of the media but...one thing I'll say is he's more articulate and people think his words mean something.

As for his time in Boston. Kessel wasn't good enough, Seguin wasn't good enough, Hamilton wanted out. Of course people will say he had zero to do with. A Stanley cup winning coach doesn't have input in his personnel? Please.

Again, he's not a bad coach(He's pretty good overall) but his man management tactics are not my favorite.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Let's be honest for a second; Galchenyuk was plain bad at year's end and even worse in the playoffs.

So the way I see it, Julien was maybe slow to react to King's ineptness but overall he was playing the players that he could at least trust to not **** up and the ones that left it on the ice.

I'm willing to give CJ a chance but I'm not coming in blind is what I'm saying.

In Boston all the young talent was traded or wanted to leave. He had input in that, regardless what people think. 1 clip isn't the only conversation they had about Seguin and others.

And his whining about embellishment when Marchand was a joke was irritating.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Like I said CJ and MT are from same school of thought. Pointing to MT's flaws is fair, but it doesn't erase CJs.

He was in love with King...oh he's also in Europe.

I would not say 23 games is being in love. His GM paid to get a vet at the deadline. If the GM did not do his job properly it puts the coach in a bad situation. As a coach you don't want to scratch a vet like King with a good reputation after only 10 games. Your GM doesn't look good. The player doesn't look good.

At the end of the playoffs Julien should have scratched King though i agree. But before judging CJ I'll give one year with the team minimum.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I would not say 23 games is being in love. His GM paid to get a vet at the deadline. If the GM did not do his job properly it puts the coach in a bad situation. As a coach you don't want to scratch a vet like King with a good reputation after only 10 games. Your GM doesn't look good. The player doesn't look good.

At the end of the playoffs Julien should have scratched King though i agree. But before judging CJ I'll give one year with the team minimum.

I meant in the playoffs. He just did not bring it at all.

I agree with giving him a chance. CJ has had success. I don't mean to say he's a terrible coach or anything but man management wise I expect the same.

Regarding AG I think if he sticks at C it's because it's like his 4th time trying, not because CJ will do anything special. Of course if he gets the most out of AG he deserves full credit. I just don't see him as his type. Most coaches...not only CJ...like to have the option to put their top center up against anyone. I'm not sure Galchenyuk is the guy he'll say "Okay...go up against Malkin and outplay him".

You can say that about Bergeron, Getzlaf, Kopitar, etc... Will he say that about Galchenyuk? Will he test him and allow him to grow? I'm unsure of that.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

So the way I see it, Julien was maybe slow to react to King's ineptness but overall he was playing the players that he could at least trust to ot **** up and the ones that left it on the ice.

And yet he played Galchenyuk has a 4th line winger in the playoffs but in game 6 in the final minute or so down a goal then decides to throw Galchenyuk out to take a key offensive zone faceoff. :dunno:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
And yet he played Galchenyuk has a 4th line winger in the playoffs but in game 6 in the final minute or so down a goal then decides to throw Galchenyuk out to take a key offensive zone faceoff. :dunno:

Yup, it was time to gamble. He couldn't hurt the team at that point, only help, so why not?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad