Julien on Bergevin and Drouin

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yup, it was time to gamble. He couldn't hurt the team at that point, only help, so why not?

I'd say "why not" is because a player who's had a difficult time adjusting post-injury and then demoted to the 4th line is going to have zero confidence. That was a CF series of decisions by Julien. I'll personally give him a pass because he really doesn't know the players very well. I expect better things from him as coach this season.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Therrien the clown, could not hold a candle to Claude...moving forward, julien still might be our best pickup last season...

Correct.

and Julien is the best "upgrade" (at any position player, gm, or coach) in decades. ha!

Up grading from Mee-shell to Claude .... like going from DD to Toews !

Last edited:

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Far from a MT fan, but when Claude was hired, Galchenyuk had played the whole season at centre, didn't play a single game at wing until Julien put him there.

Actually for the past 2 years under MT Galchenyuk played them all at centre expect for I believe 20 games..

Julien got Galchenyuk as a centre and moved him to wing..

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
So Thomas didn't make Clod look good? So he didn't carry their sorry, whiny, dirty team to a Cup?

You sure you're a Habs fan? I think the Bruins would like someone with your skewed perspective.

Thomas was great for sure. He made Julien look good.....as did Horton who played like a beast. Chara, Bergeron, Riecchi turned the clock back in the finals, Marchand (5 goals in the finals) Lucic was also a beast.

Thomas was MVP for sure....but that was a good team effort.

lol. We could have beat them in the first round if Gionta could put a puck in the ocean.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Far from a MT fan, but when Claude was hired, Galchenyuk had played the whole season at centre, didn't play a single game at wing until Julien put him there.

Actually for the past 2 years under MT Galchenyuk played them all at centre expect for I believe 20 games..

Strange for sure. 5 years in the league. Two coaches.

Therrien would not and did not put him there full time until DD broke his ankle.

Sooner or later you have to put it all on the player.

I remember players like Wendyl Clarke . Played D his entire life. Got to NHL . Coach says we need you to play wing. "OK coach" Transition took all of about a minute. Not five years.

Same goes for Buffer and Burns. Dale Hawrchuck was a winger right up until Keenan put him at center in his last year of junior. Center got injured. Keenan moved Dale to wing during Memorial Cup and he never went back.

Chucky needs to step up and take the number once centerman job that is there for the taking.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Strange for sure. 5 years in the league. Two coaches.

Therrien would not and did not put him there full time until DD broke his ankle.

Sooner or later you have to put it all on the player.

I remember players like Wendyl Clarke . Played D his entire life. Got to NHL . Coach says we need you to play wing. "OK coach" Transition took all of about a minute. Not five years.

Same goes for Buffer and Burns. Dale Hawrchuck was a winger right up until Keenan put him at center in his last year of junior. Center got injured. Keenan moved Dale to wing during Memorial Cup and he never went back.

Chucky needs to step up and take the number once centerman job that is there for the taking.

Well its actually more than 2 coaches, Jacques Beaulieu who was his Sting coach also played him at LW, and this was after he was drafted, also that year for the World Jrs, USA coach at the time Phil Housley also played him at LW during the tourney.

With that said, IMO you need some offensive from the C, and there just isn't anyone else to put there.

Also that is incorrect, it wasn't a injury to DD that put Gal at centre. He started the 2015-16 year at centre, he was moved to wing around mid point in the season for max maybe 20 games that year, before he was put with Gallagher and Pacioretty to finish the season. Even this past year, as MT as coach Galchenyuk played every game at C.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

His decisions in the playoffs were worse than what Therrien would have done.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This whole Drouin at center thing is going to be a mistake if that's what the plan is.
I hope they don't go down that road. It's not where I'd put him anyway.

But MB's pretty desperate to show SOMETHING at center. Galchenyuk is probably the right call there (or trading him for one) but maybe he'll throw Drouin there instead. Personally I hate the idea but I guess we'll see how it shakes out.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Like I said CJ and MT are from same school of thought. Pointing to MT's flaws is fair, but it doesn't erase CJs.

He was in love with King...oh he's also in Europe.

He put galchenyuk on 4th line wing so Danault and Shaw can be top 9 centers ahead of him.

CJ is a snake. Have you not seen his press conferences in Boston? He's a good coach with an old mentality. He cries like a ***** in front of the media but...one thing I'll say is he's more articulate and people think his words mean something.

As for his time in Boston. Kessel wasn't good enough, Seguin wasn't good enough, Hamilton wanted out. Of course people will say he had zero to do with. A Stanley cup winning coach doesn't have input in his personnel? Please.

Again, he's not a bad coach(He's pretty good overall) but his man management tactics are not my favorite.

Thats how I feel and its rare we agree. We should have gotten Guy Boucher when the window was there. Too bad MB doesn't believe in windows :cry:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Thats how I feel and its rare we agree. We should have gotten Guy Boucher when the window was there. Too bad MB doesn't believe in windows :cry:

And what?

You think Guy Boucher doesnt make weird lineup decisions?

Ask sens fans about his infatuation with Burrows and Pyatt.

Last edited by a moderator:

habmercy

Aug 19, 2017
And what?

I am not a big Boucher fan at all, buy thought it might have been a good time to give Muller a shot at least until the end of the year. Bergy obviously did not want to miss out on Julien.

As for the centres I think more than the coaches someone has to standt at up and show they can do it. If Galchenyuk wants to break the bank in a couple of years showing he can play centre would be the thing to do. We have a lot of young players who are going to get a shot at some centre spots and Plekanec will need to be on top of his game his fall.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
And what?

In the end, I've never heard so many young players being so enthusiastic when they were talking about their coach and how he was great with younger players. Boucher was able to do last year something with a team that is rather ordinairy. Yeah, of course, he makes mistakes. Idea was to get a younger coach with fresher techniques with great communications skills and is a proven great teacher for kids.

It's never about somebody being perfect. But more about the good outweighing the bad.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

When he realized he couldn't skate.
we all saw it man it was pathetic.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In the end, I've never heard so many young players being so enthusiastic when they were talking about their coach and how he was great with younger players. Boucher was able to do last year something with a team that is rather ordinairy. Yeah, of course, he makes mistakes. Idea was to get a younger coach with fresher techniques with great communications skills and is a proven great teacher for kids.

It's never about somebody being perfect. But more about the good outweighing the bad.
I would have preferred Boucher, but am pleased with CJ.
I like how cerebral he is, I expect kids to actually learn things under him.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I would have preferred Boucher, but am pleased with CJ.
I like how cerebral he is, I expect kids to actually learn things under him.
He sure wasn't cerebral when he got owned by the Rangers. When he dragged out scoring down to among the lowest in the league. When he played Chucky with Ott and Martinsen (that's is: two non-NHLers).

Clod is a loser, former-Bruin, whiner until he proves us wrong. He wasn't impressive in the least.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He sure wasn't cerebral when he got owned by the Rangers. When he dragged out scoring down to among the lowest in the league. When he played Chucky with Ott and Martinsen (that's is: two non-NHLers).

Clod is a loser, former-Bruin, whiner until he proves us wrong. He wasn't impressive in the least.

You overstate your point but I can't say I completely disagree.

In last year's sixth playoff game Julien used Galchenyuk to take an offensive faceoff in the dying minutes. And that was after he had Galchenyuk play 4th line wing for most of the series. I had to look twice to make sure that Therrein hadn't kidnapped Julien and taken his place behind the bench.

I suspect there are more similarities between Therrien and Julien than we're ready to admit. Julien just has better bedside manners.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Performance art?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

So you actually think Julien strategized to drag scoring down? :laugh:

The Habs had a multitude of scoring chances, they had more than the Rangers.

Our players just couldn't finish.

The coach is responsible for preparation, NOT execution. That's mainly in the players hands.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008

The coach is responsible for preparation, NOT execution. That's mainly in the players hands.

Julien forced Pacioretty to grip his stick too hard and miss a game changing breakaway opportunity.

Makes sense :sarcasm:.

Jul 6, 2016

.. And Lundqvist was suddenly hot against the Habs.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
And what?

Or that the sens were 22nd in GF and SAT%(5v5) which is corsi. And Ottawa has a pretty good top 6/9.

MT was lambasted for those types of numbers and being carried by Price but GB is praised when doing the exact same thing.

Lets not forget it was GB who gave DD his chance in HAM and turned him into the player he is today. Good chance GB would be just as in love with DD that MT was, probably even more. If it wasn't for GB maybe we never see DD in a habs uniform.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->