Julien on Bergevin and Drouin

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
And here I thought, reading Habs forums across the net -- that it might've been because of the disconcerting lack of job security for a coach or GM in the Montreal market, even with a long term contract in your pocket! ;)

For those who might've missed it from the interview ;), working well with the GM and having the same philosophy also obviously involved both agreeing that Julien was worth a guaranteed 25M over 5 years!

Well, if Julien is going to say what he said to the reporter in Boston about how he plans to use Drouin, he's probably serious about it because he wasn't just playing up a local boy to local reporters.

The story I heard about Jersey was that he was building a new house there.

And why wouldn't he? I believe the Devils were in first place at the time, just before the playoffs...when Lou sacked him.

How many times was he close to being fired in Boston?.

Seeing Sutter fired by the Kings after winning a couple of cups is a reminder of how much (or how little) job security these guys have which must be extra tough when they have a young family.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
30 games that's all it took... And I'm supposed to believe that people don't complain for the sake of complaining all the time around here?

Some of us weren't excited about this at all. The only good was getting rid of therrien. That love affair could have lasted longer if not for pressure and a (as quoted above) similar mindset GM to Julien. Make no mistake we will continue with our so called not defensive Defence styled game.

Drouin will get prime ice for the usual reason and everyone won't care because when JD makes an individualize move and gets caught he won't be PK. And we will continue having debates about our coach and media coverage of this team. I am looking forward to the new season just for the laughs.

Link67

Oct 8, 2016
30 games that's all it took... And I'm supposed to believe that people don't complain for the sake of complaining all the time around here?

In fairness to the complainers, the season did end on a sour note, and we are creatures of "what have you done for me lately". Julien is still going to have to prove himself to this fanbase regardless of his body of work in the past 10 years or being regarded as one of the top coaches in the league by most of his peers.

I think his positive approach and communication first style will allow players to thrive comfortably in the new environment, an environment that was not completely reset no matter how you look at it during the season last year.

His influence will be much more obvious in the first month of this coming season than it ever was in the final 2 months last season in my opinion.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Some of us weren't excited about this at all. The only good was getting rid of therrien. That love affair could have lasted longer if not for pressure and a (as quoted above) similar mindset GM to Julien. Make no mistake we will continue with our so called not defensive Defence styled game.

Drouin will get prime ice for the usual reason and everyone won't care because when JD makes an individualize move and gets caught he won't be PK. And we will continue having debates about our coach and media coverage of this team. I am looking forward to the new season just for the laughs.[/QUOTE]

As long as you,re looking forward to it, I guess. It could be worse ;)

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Expect some rookies to make the team.
Hudon is making the team. We'll see who else. And I know at least one grifter in the Montreal Journo scene would be thrilled to see JDLR make the team.

In fairness to the complainers, the season did end on a sour note, and we are creatures of "what have you done for me lately". Julien is still going to have to prove himself to this fanbase regardless of his body of work in the past 10 years or being regarded as one of the top coaches in the league by most of his peers.

I think his positive approach and communication first style will allow players to thrive comfortably in the new environment, an environment that was not completely reset no matter how you look at it during the season last year.

His influence will be much more obvious in the first month of this coming season than it ever was in the final 2 months last season in my opinion.
Complainers? Hardly.

Clod has obvious flaws - he was the enemy for a long time, I was VERY happy we fired Therrien but it's not like Clod set the world on fire. We puttered out of the playoffs, he many obvious mistakes.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Where does it say this?

Well, Julien didn't say it, but the next comment could be a clue about how they are seeing Drouin:

When Jonathan was in Tampa, they had (Steven) Stamkos and Tyler Johnson, just to name a few guys, real top-notch players. In Montreal, there’s no doubt Drouin will be playing on the top two lines

Steven Stamkos.....Tyler Johnson.......
The two top 6 center of the team.
Stamkos was injured for most of the season so he wasn't preventing Drouin to be playing on the top 6.

Johnson and Stamkos only blocked Drouin on the top 6 if you believe Drouin should be a top 6 center.

I know, it's really thin....but it's August:laugh:

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I like the part where Julien said that Drouin will play a lot because our team is way worse than Tampa Bay.

Lmao.
He's like "in Tampa there's Stamkos, there's Johnson ... just to name a few, real top-notch guys." "In Montreal, there's–

*blank*

"Like I said he'll get plenty of time."

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I like the part where Julien said that Drouin will play a lot because our team is way worse than Tampa Bay.

To be fair, it really is worse top forward and top defencemen wise :laugh:

Not counting Drouin

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Danault - Shaw

vs

Palat - Stamkos - Kucherov
Killorn - Johnson - Namestnikov/Callahan

and

Mystery box - Weber
Alzner - Petry

vs

Hedman - Stralman
Coburn/Sergachev - Girardi/Dotchin

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Not counting Drouin

vs

and

Mystery box - Weber
Alzner - Petry

vs

Hedman - Stralman

I get the point, but why 'not counting Drouin'? He's part of the team, after all. I really think we're not that bad on offense because e are deep enough to ice a balanced lineup that's way better than it appears to be if you try to ice a top line and so on like the traditional line model that only serves teams that have no depth nowadays, IMO, in the NHL.

On D, since we have no clue who our 1st pairing LD could possibly be -- and there's no 90% candidate that would be okay if not great that's guaranteed, we're probably behind the vast majority of NHL teams for 1st pairing, not just TB.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

Yes because that's exactly what he said...

Drouin played 17:42 TOI/GP this year in Tampa this would put him third on this team only behind Pacioretty at 19:10 and Radulov at 18:17.

Julien should check out his numbers... :laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well, Julien didn't say it, but the next comment could be a clue about how they are seeing Drouin:

Steven Stamkos.....Tyler Johnson.......
The two top 6 center of the team.
Stamkos was injured for most of the season so he wasn't preventing Drouin to be playing on the top 6.

Johnson and Stamkos only blocked Drouin on the top 6 if you believe Drouin should be a top 6 center.

I know, it's really thin....but it's August:laugh:
I don't think this was some type of subliminal message. Drouin has taken about 1 faceoff per game in the NHL. I don't think they view him at center.

Julien's point was simply that there's more talent in TB and so he couldn't be one of the go to guys they relied on more. Stamkos, Johnson, Kucherov, Palat, he wasn't going to name them all.
He will get more opportunities here. That's all there is to it. I don't think they have a set idea already in place of where everyone will play. I expect a bunch of different options tried in camp.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I liked Julien. A cerebral coach is a must imo. Can't go with just the loud mouth cheerleading type a la Therrien. They might be good for a young team that needs a good work ethic instilled, but after a year or two, you move on. Ideally, that's your assistant coach.
I thought changes were very noticeable fast. There was a lot more usage of our forwards to transition up, and we weren't careless dumping the puck around.
Every coach is going to make some more unpopular decisions though. His handling of Galchenyuk was just bizarre. I liked Martin as a coach but didn't agree with how he handled some of his guys either.

Hopefully he gets more out of Galch this year but am excited to see him lead our team.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Just to clarify.

Julien's children go to school in one of the finest public school districts in Massachusetts which he why he bought a house there to begin with.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Yes because that's exactly what he said...

Drouin played 17:42 TOI/GP this year in Tampa this would put him third on this team only behind Pacioretty at 19:10 and Radulov at 18:17.

Julien should check out his numbers... :laugh:

Stamkos missed the whole year and Johnson missed some time. Plus they dumped Filppula. When healthy Drouin wasn't close to top 3 in ice time.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Not counting Drouin

vs

and

Mystery box - Weber
Alzner - Petry

vs

Hedman - Stralman

Not counting Drouin in a Habs lineup and putting Sergachev on the Bolts top 4... How much bias can you show with a single post? :laugh:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Stamkos missed the whole year and Johnson missed some time. Plus they dumped Filppula. When healthy Drouin wasn't close to top 3 in ice time.

Johnson played 66 games and Drouin 73.

Drouin was actually playing more minutes than Johnson at ES.

Nikita Kucherov 16:03
Ondrej Palat 14:38
Jonathan Drouin 14:37
Tyler Johnson 13:54
Valtteri Filppula 13:34

Drouin was definitely used a lot, the only reason Palat, Johnson, and Killorn are ahead of him in TOI/GP it's because they all kill penalties and Drouin doesn't.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Johnson played 66 games and Drouin 73.

Drouin was actually playing more minutes than Johnson at ES.

Nikita Kucherov 16:03
Ondrej Palat 14:38
Jonathan Drouin 14:37
Tyler Johnson 13:54
Valtteri Filppula 13:34

Drouin was definitely used a lot, the only reason Palat, Johnson, and Killorn are ahead of him in TOI/GP it's because they all kill penalties and Drouin doesn't.

Well if that's the case one can argue the only reason Drouin had more ES ice time than Johnson is because Johnson is used on the PK.
Goes both ways.
Bottom line is Drouin was behind 5 other players.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Well if that's the case one can argue the only reason Drouin had more ES ice time than Johnson is because Johnson is used on the PK.
Goes both ways.
Bottom line is Drouin was behind 5 other players.

Again I don't really care who played what on that Tampa roster, to be honest, I just mentioned that he played 17:42 TOI/GP and that's definitely top 6 minutes.

I mean Chucky played 15:55 TOI/GP and Danault 15:34, not even Plekanec played as much as Drouin.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Again I don't really care who played what on that Tampa roster, to be honest, I just mentioned that he played 17:42 TOI/GP and that's definitely top 6 minutes.

I mean Chucky played 15:55 TOI/GP and Danault 15:34, not even Plekanec played as much as Drouin.

Okay, who ever denied this exactly? Someone said he wasn't top 3 in TB when they were healthy, which is true, so as usual, you're not making any sense and simply out to argue.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Therrien the clown, could not hold a candle to Claude...moving forward, julien still might be our best pickup last season...

he is only a good pickup when you compare him to MT,

there is no possible way to do worse, well only if they promoted SL :sarcasm:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I get the point, but why 'not counting Drouin'? He's part of the team, after all. I really think we're not that bad on offense because e are deep enough to ice a balanced lineup that's way better than it appears to be if you try to ice a top line and so on like the traditional line model that only serves teams that have no depth nowadays, IMO, in the NHL.

On D, since we have no clue who our 1st pairing LD could possibly be -- and there's no 90% candidate that would be okay if not great that's guaranteed, we're probably behind the vast majority of NHL teams for 1st pairing, not just TB.

Not counting Drouin in a Habs lineup and putting Sergachev on the Bolts top 4... How much bias can you show with a single post? :laugh:

Because the point Claude Julien made was that Drouin would have more opportunities with the Habs than with TB due to the top offensive talent of the Ligthning. To show this, you have to show the lines without Drouin.

Also, you can see it's Coburn/Sergachev, which means it depends on how he does in pre-season. Maybe he gets the top4 spot, maybe he does not. At his age, development can be really fast.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not likely unless its DLR on 4th wing.

Hudon and DLR will make the team as rookies. Maybe McCarron too but I believe we need him to work on the offensive part of his game more in the AHL while he is still waivers exempt. Bring him in towards the end of the year and into the playoffs. We don't need McCarron as a 4th line grinder. We need him as a potential 3rd line center or RW with some offense.

I actually think the AHL team will be very good this year.

Carr / McCarron / Terry
Reway / Holland / Scherbak
Gregoire / Froese / Waked
Addison / Audette / Eisenschmid

Jerabek / Lernout
Taormina / Juulsen
Parisi / Redmond

Lindgren
Fucale

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Thomas made Claude Julien look good? That might just be the most ridiculous thing ever written on these boards.
Could you please declare yourself a Leafs or a Senators fan when doing so?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As far as Drouin at center. I know we will try it and Drouin will welcome it. I really like how we added Drouin and I feel this is going to raise Galchenyuk's game. Two options at center is better than one. Maybe both these kids end up our top 2 centers sooner rather than later?

Patch / Galchenyuk / Scherbak
Hudon / Drouin / Gallagher
Byron / Danault / Lehkonen
Shaw / DLR / McCarron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->