Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I fear the Pouliot comparison is an apt one. He seems highly touted based on his apparent skill set but I don't feel he has ever done much on ice (in the NHL). He will certainly get ample opportunity to succeed as every big guy who can skate does so hopefully he figures it out. Unlikely he will ever be very physical though - either it is your nature or it isn't.
I think they wanna force it out of him... the rough up-ice play will hamper his pace.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
I think that he, like some other young players, are going to be facing an "up or out" scenario. The team has done a wonderful job of acquiring assets. That has really bolstered depth. And now, the pipeline is about to start to produce. Players like Gauthier & Howden need to start to show something or they will be passed. At the beginning that may well mean having their butt plastered to the 4th line, as you point out. Soon thereafter, that may well mean becoming throw ins in trades that are means to bolster the starting line up.
Exactly

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I see nothing to indicate that they are trying force physical play out of it. Now, if they are asking for him to be more assertive, that is fair. Look at what it did for Buchnevich.
I'm saying they want him to be a tougher PF, a guy who wears down and snuffs out the D, why else did he never get a look above line 4? They wanna see him evolve.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
All he has to do is come to camp and show it.

There is a lot to like about the package, but he needs to start to put it together.
Yea that’s the thing with Gauthier. I don’t know where I heard it, but I think it was from Hurricanes fans, where they said that Gauthier is like fool’s gold. He looks good on the ice, but he just can’t find a way to score or produce much.

He looked good enough in the playoffs to the point where I wasn’t overly concerned about his hockey sense, but it has to be related to that. I don’t know what else it could be.

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Yea that’s the thing with Gauthier. I don’t know where I heard it, but I think it was from Hurricanes fans, where they said that Gauthier is like fool’s gold. He looks good on the ice, but he just can’t find a way to score or produce much.

He looked good enough in the playoffs to the point where I wasn’t overly concerned about his hockey sense, but it has to be related to that. I don’t know what else it could be.
could be that he's still pretty young, and Power forward types take a while to get it together? Not a guarantee he figures it out but there's reason for optimism. Maybe an Alex Tuch -like player for us? That would be nice.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
He needs to be more physical. A guy with his size and speed should be a nightmare for defensemen on the forecheck.

Look at what Anderson just got. If he doesn't mind being sore after a hard workout, he shouldn't being sore after throwing a hit. The difference is millions of dollars. The rest of the toolset is there as well.

I'd give him a look across from Alexis for a stretch and see if that has any affect.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
nothing from JG I've seen indicates he has a problem with being rough and physical on the ice. think you just need to get him more calculated

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm saying they want him to be a tougher PF, a guy who wears down and snuffs out the D, why else did he never get a look above line 4? They wanna see him evolve.
They probably want him to be more assertive. What is wrong with that? I see no evidence of them "forcing" Gauthier to do anything.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
They probably want him to be more assertive. What is wrong with that? I see no evidence of them "forcing" Gauthier to do anything.

i think the bigger thing is to be better and more aware defensively...he was assertive on the offensive end driving to the net and threw some hits but needs to earn the coaches trust on the defensive side...hopefully Martin's system plays a part in helping that.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i think the bigger thing is to be better and more aware defensively...he was assertive on the offensive end driving to the net and threw some hits but needs to earn the coaches trust on the defensive side...hopefully Martin's system plays a part in helping that.
He is either going to decide that he is a part of the future or he will not listen and stay the same. And then it becomes "up or out".

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Right, "more assertive," I said "evolved." What IS wrong with it? I see no evidence that I said anything was "wrong" with that.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It's normal to see a kid like Gauthier playing it safe as he tries to break into the league. He's working on earning the trust of the coaches and one careless hit can see him on the bench for two periods. Once we see him getting more minutes I have no doubt his edge will find it's way back into his game. He's never been one to shy away from contact and he's at his best when he's imposing his size on opposing players. It'll come with time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad