Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
You said that management is trying to force physical play out of him.
I hope practicing with kreider everyday shows him how to shield the puck with his legs and go to the net with authority. While he’s not as fast as kreids he can still be an effective large body especially down low and along the boards

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I know it's early to judge but this kid needs to show me a lot more before he's handed a full time roster spot.

So far he's Howden x2

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I hope practicing with kreider everyday shows him how to shield the puck with his legs and go to the net with authority. While he’s not as fast as kreids he can still be an effective large body especially down low and along the boards
Agreed. He can certainly be much more assertive.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I expect one of these young forwards (other than Lafreniere) to break out this season. Why not Jules?
Yeah, i actually expect jumps in output from him, Fil and Kakko.
Maybe even Howden,
tho my prayer is Howden to 'Pack for 30 or more games of all-situation, top 6 minutes

Reactions: WAIVE BRODZINSKI

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, i actually expect jumps in output from him, Fil and Kakko.
Maybe even Howden,
tho my prayer is Howden to 'Pack for 30 or more games of all-situation, top 6 minutes
I think that he is going to be given a chance to unseat Kakko as the presumptive pick for RW on the Panarin (and guessing Strome) line. At the same time, he is going to have to hold off Kravstov (if he is here to start the year). He, like Hajek, is going to be facing an "Up or Out" situation.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
How Julien Gauthier went from workout warrior to ascendant Rangers winger

The Rangers have engineered a full rebuild, with only one player, Chris Kreider, remaining from their 2014 Stanley Cup Final team. New York has one of the youngest rosters in the NHL, brimming with talent and positioning the Rangers to be sustained winners over the next several years. However, one area they deeply struggled with last season was depth scoring.

Enter Gauthier. At age 23 -- big and powerful, with a shoot-first mentality, decent speed and a strong power-play net presence -- he is a compelling breakout candidate for next season and will get a prime opportunity in New York's middle six. Despite the uncertainty of the 2020-21 season, Gauthier is preparing as he always has: following a program created by his father.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Howden can't be sent down without exposing him.

He is waiver exempt for another 16 NHL games

hate to contend with guys who try harder than i do,
but at 139 NHL games played (includes 3 postseason summer'20),
isn't Howden's waiver-exempt buffer 20 games? are you counting his 5 games for Syracuse in '17?

Brett Howden (b.1998) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Waivers FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
"...a skater who signs their entry-level contract at 18* will become exempt after playing 160 NHL games, or after 5 seasons (whichever comes first)..."

* or 19 or 20 ,,, with added condition relating to years since signing NHL ELC
which, it seems, is why Gauthier is waivers-vulnerable after 3 pro seasons ...

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Honestly, I haven't seen anything from him to this point that trends towards a top six forward. Happy to be wrong, but am I missing something?

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Right now Howden is okay as a bottom 6 player. Not sure what Gauthier is yet other than a pretty good AHL goal scorer. The things that will help him is to use his size and strength and be a 200' player and a guy who can do some penalty killing.

Returning to Howden--the guy made the jump to the NHL straight from the WHL more than less because of our depleted roster. He would no doubt have benefitted from some time in the AHL. To me he's a guy who was thrown in at the deep end through no fault of his own. It particularly has shown up in being weak for his size but he's getting older and I expect that strength component is going to get better. In some respects it's Malhotra 2.0.

Reactions: leetch99

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
hate to contend with guys who try harder than i do,
but at 139 NHL games played (includes 3 postseason summer'20),
isn't Howden's waiver-exempt buffer 20 games? are you counting his 5 games for Syracuse in '17?

Brett Howden (b.1998) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Waivers FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
"...a skater who signs their entry-level contract at 18* will become exempt after playing 160 NHL games, or after 5 seasons (whichever comes first)..."

* or 19 or 20 ,,, with added condition relating to years since signing NHL ELC
which, it seems, is why Gauthier is waivers-vulnerable after 3 pro seasons ...

According to Capfriendly, it's 155 games

upload_2020-11-18_18-25-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-18_18-25-10.png
    upload_2020-11-18_18-25-10.png
    95 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: cwede

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Gauthier is a real wild card. excellent speed, size, and shot. he kinda has no choice but to be good this year because he's no longer waiver exempt but I think he has skills to at least be useful. maybe not top 6 useful though.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Good tools, solid AHL numbers, but yeah, has shown little at the NHL level (in little opportunity).

I'm not all that impressed by his AHL or QMJHL resume either. Brian Boyle had more offense than him at this point. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad