JT Miller : Our Brandon Dubinsky clone?

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Miller is not a better skater or more skilled then Dubinsky. Nor is he more physical. Give me a break lol. Dubinsky had the puck on a string.

He does think the game a lot better though. Like 10x better. Dubinsky would dominate games when he was on, but he can't do that consistently. Miller has always been a heady and confident player. I can see him outproducing Dubinsky for this reason.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Miller is not a better skater or more skilled then Dubinsky. Nor is he more physical. Give me a break lol. Dubinsky had the puck on a string.

He does think the game a lot better though. Like 10x better. Dubinsky would dominate games when he was on, but he can't do that consistently. Miller has always been a heady and confident player. I can see him outproducing Dubinsky for this reason.

Agreed 100%. I think Miller is a great solution to help Cally gets his game back especially as Cally - Stepan is a poor fit. Miller will also benefit greatly from this. Really helps spread out the wealth.

Hagelin - Richards - Nash
Pyatt - Stepan - Gaborik
should be the 1st 2 lines IMO
Asham - Powe - Boyle - Halpern rotating in & out on the 4th.
Callup Mashinter if we need to go with a heavy.
Good depth now... like it

One thing that intrigues me is Torts comments the other day about Millers somewhat troubled past. What is up with that?

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Agreed 100%. I think Miller is a great solution to help Cally gets his game back especially as Cally - Stepan is a poor fit. Miller will also benefit greatly from this. Really helps spread out the wealth.

Hagelin - Richards - Nash
Pyatt - Stepan - Gaborik
should be the 1st 2 lines IMO
Asham - Powe - Boyle - Halpern rotating in & out on the 4th.
Callup Mashinter if we need to go with a heavy.
Good depth now... like it

One thing that intrigues me is Torts comments the other day about Millers somewhat troubled past. What is up with that?

Miller was asked about this and admitted that he's always had a bad temper, and possibly a personality that's tough to deal with.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Dubi was not a good skater when he first came up. His stride was ugly and choppy. He made himself a better skater.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
i always thought dubinsky had tons of talent but a ten-cent head - for hockey, at least. if miller has a good head on his shoulders, he should be fine.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Nice. Sean Avery reincarnated. :yo:

yet the coach loves him :dunno:

It's definitely personal between Torts and Avery then :laugh:

It's good to have someone who has that type of energy though.

Like John and Bob Richards Said, Boring is death.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Hey guys, a bit OT, but is it fair to say that Miller is more talented (from a pure talent standpoint) than Stepan?

Miller is bigger, faster and stronger, more athletically gifted, with a harder shot. Stepan has very good on ice vision, a high hockey IQ and better playmaking skills.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
i always thought dubinsky had tons of talent but a ten-cent head - for hockey, at least. if miller has a good head on his shoulders, he should be fine.

Dubi's 'lack of hockey IQ' was always overstated. He made his share of mistakes, that his critics would jump on as proof, (especially the Callahan fanboys), but, I attributed that more to his lack of focus. Plus, Dubi wore his emotions on his sleeve, which is something that Miller also does...so there's an example of how Miller is comparable to Dubi.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Miller is bigger, faster and stronger, more athletically gifted, with a harder shot. Stepan has very good on ice vision, a high hockey IQ and better playmaking skills.

Now is harder also more accurate? Because Dale Purinton had a hard shot. :laugh: It's like Demarcus Russel who had a cannon but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and Peyton Manning who never had a super strong arm but might be the most accurate QB in NFL history.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Now is harder also more accurate? Because Dale Purinton had a hard shot. :laugh: It's like Demarcus Russel who had a cannon but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and Peyton Manning who never had a super strong arm but might be the most accurate QB in NFL history.

I won't say more accurate, because, Stepan has a fairly accurate shot, as does Miller. Neither has the shot that Kreider does.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Let's also not forget the edge that Dubi had to his game: an edge we sorely miss. Remember his war of words with Crosby, his confrontations with Ovechkin, his fights with Mike Richards. Dubi was disliked by other teams and had the rep of being hard to play against. When he was at his best, things swirled around him on the ice.

Miller may be somewhat more skilled (though I'm not totally convinced of that yet) and as a 19 year old is still finding his way at the professional level, I don't think he will ever have that annoying jam that Dubi had even when he was in junior hockey.

Miller seems more self-contained and a player who stays within himself. Dubi seemed like a future leader and possibly a team captain or alternate right from the start. I don't see that yet from Miller (again, it's early days for him) and I just don't get the impression that he will develop into that kind of player.

What I hope from Miller as that he continues a steady developmental path. Dubi was one of my personal favorites on the team but I was disappointed with how he seemed to go off the track last year and stop improving. Whether that was temporary or a result of his new contract, complacency, or other factors, as a fan, I will never know. There were times last year when I remember thinking about Dubi that he was a player that I never thought I'd have to worry about his inner drive. But last year I did.

Miller seems to have that inner drive, inner motor, but it seems different from Dubi's.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

does Dubi have a goal yet? I feel bad for the guy but he has stunk the past yr and a bit.

We will see what Miller can do, its gonna take some time to see what he is made of but im exited to see what happens.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
tbh, half of the posts in here are primarily based off of the play we've seen in the last 2 games. No doubt a lot of you have seen a lot more of his play but most valid points are still lacking what time will tell. After Stepan's 2 game debut, he was a great play maker, had excellent hockey sense and definitely a finisher. Some odd seasons later, he can't finish on golden opportunities worth ****. Stepan was more touted than Miller imo.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
"Sometimes I have a personality that's hard to handle. I always had a bad temper when I was younger. So that can get in the way. I just have to make sure I'm focused in on the game and my task."

Sounds like me when I was younger. Helll, still sounds like me

Bardof425*

I loved Dubi's passion and skating ability. But you are denigrating JT by comparing him to Dubi. JT has hockey sense on a different level, playmaking skills that Dubi will never have and although Dubi is strong, JT is much tougher to play against. This kid has a much better head on his shoulders and is better at every aspect of the game except his speed.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Dubi was not a good skater when he first came up. His stride was ugly and choppy. He made himself a better skater.

But Dubinsky at this stage of his NHL career can absolutely jet. His stride might not be silky smooth, but when he's motivated he outskates, outskills and outmuscles nearly every player on the ice.

Doesn't matter if he scores 10 points this year and Miller scores 60; Dubi is and always will be the better skater, the more skilled player, and more physical. His noggin is un-existant though, which is why I can easily see Miller being a better player overall.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
does Dubi have a goal yet? I feel bad for the guy but he has stunk the past yr and a bit.

We will see what Miller can do, its gonna take some time to see what he is made of but im exited to see what happens.

Definitely, but Dubinsky's sub-par play doesn't miraculously lower his skating ability, amongst other things.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I've only seen Miller in the WJC and the past two games, I haven't caught any Whale games this year, but I maintain we don't have enough exposure to say for sure what kind of a player/how good this guy is going to be. Is this his best? Is it what we can expect? Is he going to crash hard? We really don't know.

We know Boyle's upside, and we know what he brings to the table. Especially defensively, and especially on the PK.

Is he a better option for the 3rd line we're rolling now? Very much. He and Cally showed instant chemistry, and he and Kreider seem to do well together as well.

But we don't know what he's going to look like in a few games. How he's going to be defensively, how he'll impact special teams.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying there is no way to know if you're right yet.

I'm not saying that you're saying I'm wrong, I agree with you to an extent that you shouldn't be counting your chickens before they hatch, or however the expression goes. What I'm saying is that from what I've seen in the small sample size, JT Miller shows you intangibles that Brian Boyle simply just doesn't have. I've also seen him play multiple times in Hartford and the WJC's.

If he played against the Islanders and an even worse opponent and played as well as he did, then I'd say let's take a step back, but I thought he played just as good against the Devils as he did against the Islanders.

Either way, the Rangers will burn the 1st year of his deal this season. He's too good to be sent back down.

I think you mean Jamarcus Russell lol.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Alot of people here really downplay Dubinskys worth. He was a tremendous asset to the Rangers. A huge part of their rebuild. Was a heart and soul member if the team.

I think Miller is a pretty good comparison to him. I don't think he is as scrappy as Dubi was though. I doubt were going to see Miller drop the mitts with Sestito.

Also, just have to remind everyone that Miller is but two games into his NHL career. While I'm excited that he is performing at a high level, calling him a better all around player than Dubi is a bit much no?

As Torts would say..."Let's see what we have here first"

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Jt Beiber
millerjt2010_t180.jpg

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not saying that you're saying I'm wrong, I agree with you to an extent that you shouldn't be counting your chickens before they hatch, or however the expression goes. What I'm saying is that from what I've seen in the small sample size, JT Miller shows you intangibles that Brian Boyle simply just doesn't have. I've also seen him play multiple times in Hartford and the WJC's.

If he played against the Islanders and an even worse opponent and played as well as he did, then I'd say let's take a step back, but I thought he played just as good against the Devils as he did against the Islanders.

Either way, the Rangers will burn the 1st year of his deal this season. He's too good to be sent back down.

I think you mean Jamarcus Russell lol.

Russell is so bad that he's not worthy of me getting his name right. :laugh: I did slander the hated (but well respected) Demarcus Ware though, I apologize for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad