JT Miller : Our Brandon Dubinsky clone?

Punxrocknyc19*

It seems like he plays a very similiar game and I believe he has the upside to become the '09-'11 Dubinsky

i hope he has alot more upside.. he was a first round pick for a reason.. lets hope he doesnt hold out like Dubi did...

Kershaw

i hope he has alot more upside.. he was a first round pick for a reason.. lets hope he doesnt hold out like Dubi did...

Getting a Dubi-lite player mid first round is hitting a HR in the draft.

Dubinsky will play 1000 games in his career playing a very versatile role on any roster he's on.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Miller is a better skater, has more skill and thinks the game better than Dubi did.

Yep, he seems to be faster and has a higher IQ. Maybe the Dubi from his career year can be Miller in an average year. That won't be too bad.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Miller is a better skater, has more skill and thinks the game better than Dubi did.

Agreed. The key part is that he seems to know his role and embrace it. Always physical, and always high intensity.

Would be nice if he was as good in the dot as Dubi is though.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011

Man, just... you know... just... Miller is better than Dubinsky in every way... hair style, eye color, preferences in women, gaming abilities... who was Dubinsky even?

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
loved how miller wudnt just fling the puck up the boards or try to muscle through the dman pinching to get it out like seemingly everyone else on the team tries to do. hes got that "calm under pressure" asset when the puck comes to him.

XLJ

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah they are similar. Gordie even compared him to Dubinsky and Mike Richards when they drafted him. Miller is a little more offensively gifted than Dubi though.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Don't think Miller is either a better skater or more skilled than Dubinsky. Definitely a lot smarter though.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Yeah they are similar. Gordie even compared him to Dubinsky and Mike Richards when they drafted him. Miller is a little more offensively gifted than Dubi though.

Dubi was good offensively. Before his slump, he was a solid 25/35 guys. I can't recall his stats but he certainly played with a lot of drive and could have hit 60 points if he didn't. Miller can be better though. If he plays 1,000 games, by this rate, he'll have 1,500 points and be the first to reach 1,000 goals. Y'all should know by now I only kid.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
No, no, no. This is a Brandon Dubinsky clone.

148600.jpg

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Man, just... you know... just... Miller is better than Dubinsky in every way... hair style, eye color, preferences in women, gaming abilities... who was Dubinsky even?

Nah, Dubinsky had his sides for sure.

First of all; Dubinsky had a strong physical prescense and definitely was a core player in establishing the identity of this club. It's one thing to do what everyone else is doing, it's another to come in and set the bar. In that regard, I think Dubi sticks out in comparison with many.

Second; Dubi could rip the puck. He was hard to get a hold of for Ds. He was strong along the boards. But it seldomly came together.

I LOVE JT Miller, and think he will have an easier time than Dubi. But thats more like because he really fits the pro game and has that balance between ability, hockey IQ and position as opposed to necessary being heads and shoulders above Dubi. I think Dubi was just a tad bit too unbalanced, rough around the edges and so forth.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Agreed. The key part is that he seems to know his role and embrace it. Always physical, and always high intensity.

Would be nice if he was as good in the dot as Dubi is though.

Dubi's biggest problem, (and I somewhat blame Tortorella for part of this), is not understanding the player he was. In truth, he was at his best in 2009-10, when he scored 17 goals in 51 games after returning from his injury. He went to the net, and had the strength to battle for loose pucks. I thought he was on his way to becoming the next generation Adam Graves. But, he forgot what made him successful, and fancied himself as a better playmaker than what he really was. When he was at his best, his goals were being scored with 15 feet of the net. I want more out of Miller than what Dubi became.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Dubi was good offensively. Before his slump, he was a solid 25/35 guys. I can't recall his stats but he certainly played with a lot of drive and could have hit 60 points if he didn't. Miller can be better though. If he plays 1,000 games, by this rate, he'll have 1,500 points and be the first to reach 1,000 goals. Y'all should know by now I only kid.

Oh, good lord - my favorite fallacy rears its head again. Look at his career stats - he's been playing long enough that it's pretty clearly proven that his few months at this pace were in fact a hot streak and the rest of his career is the "real" Dubi. Unless you think he's been "slumping" for 5 1/2 out of his 6 years in the league...?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Don't think Miller is either a better skater or more skilled than Dubinsky. Definitely a lot smarter though.

Miller is quicker and has better balance at a younger age. Dubi's skating improved greatly as he went along, but, Miller is the more developed player at a younger age. Remember, when Dubi was drafted, he was around 5'10, 180. He grew 3 inches and put on 30 lbs. He had to adjust to his growth. From what I've seen, Miller is a better passer and has a better shot.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009

For a long time Dubi was our best puck carrier by far. Some of that had to do with the rest of the team to be sure, but Dubi is one of the tougher guys to knock off the puck. He uses his body and shields is really well, and he's got some elusiveness.

Also, Miller has only played two NHL games so I don't really want to start drawing any major conclusions about his game yet.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A little early for this comparison. 5 years from now Miller might be in Columbus and we'll be talking about a faster smarter version of Miller replacing him. Players have their ups and downs especially before they hit their prime years. I expect Miller will too and sooner or later posters are going to start making all kinds of deals moving Miller to wherever for whatever. Two games in he looks really good but I definitely don't expect him to turn into a top 6 player overnight when he was only pro rating out as a 40 point player at the AHL level.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Miller is quicker and has better balance at a younger age. Dubi's skating improved greatly as he went along, but, Miller is the more developed player at a younger age. Remember, when Dubi was drafted, he was around 5'10, 180. He grew 3 inches and put on 30 lbs. He had to adjust to his growth. From what I've seen, Miller is a better passer and has a better shot.

Are you basing the analysis of his shot on the playing outside of the NHL? Because I don't know if either shot was great last night.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Are you basing the analysis of his shot on the playing outside of the NHL? Because I don't know if either shot was great last night.

From what I've seen since he was drafted, including WJCs, and last year's Traverse City tourney and pre-season. Clark has also said that Miller has a very good shot and needs to use it more. I'm not basing my opinions on last night, or his debut against the Devils.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad