JT Miller : Our Brandon Dubinsky clone?

PMantis24

LGR!
Nov 17, 2010
NYC
A little early for this comparison. 5 years from now Miller might be in Columbus and we'll be talking about a faster smarter version of Miller replacing him. Players have their ups and downs especially before they hit their prime years. I expect Miller will too and sooner or later posters are going to start making all kinds of deals moving Miller to wherever for whatever. Two games in he looks really good but I definitely don't expect him to turn into a top 6 player overnight when he was only pro rating out as a 40 point player at the AHL level.

Pretty much this lol

From the limited time seeing him he definitely reminds me of Dubi. As frustrating as Dubi was to watch sometimes I miss the game he brings. With Miller, I'm getting the same feeling I got when Dubi first came up, excited! Miller seems to know what kind of player he is like others have mentioned. Higher hockey IQ helps.

I think the Dubi and Mike Richards comparison is pretty good. I'll gladly take player that's a combination of those two. So i'm pretty excited to watch him develop with Dubi's departure.

Plus, Cally has to be happy he's got a Dubi clone to play with. The 2 of them played some of their best hockey together.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
For a long time Dubi was our best puck carrier by far. Some of that had to do with the rest of the team to be sure, but Dubi is one of the tougher guys to knock off the puck. He uses his body and shields is really well, and he's got some elusiveness.

Also, Miller has only played two NHL games so I don't really want to start drawing any major conclusions about his game yet.

Dubi is a superb puck carrier, and one of the few Rangers the last few years who could transport the puck out of the defensive end, and into the offensive. It was one of the reasons he meshed so well with Jagr, and was successful with Gaborik in Gabby's first year with the Rangers.

PMantis24

LGR!
Nov 17, 2010
NYC
Dubi is a superb puck carrier, and one of the few Rangers the last few years who could transport the puck out of the defensive end, and into the offensive. It was one of the reasons he meshed so well with Jagr, and was successful with Gaborik in Gabby's first year with the Rangers.

He definitely picked up a lot of his puck protecting skills learning from Jagr.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
He definitely picked up a lot of his puck protecting skills learning from Jagr.

Understand that I'm not bashing Dubi. Dubi is one of my favorite Rangers. Losing Dubi is the only part of the Nash trade that I regret. He was as important in creating the new Ranger mindset as Callahan, Girardi or Staal. But, people forget that Dubi was much more of a raw product when he was drafted than Miller. Miller has gotten many years of experience from international competition for TeamUSA that Dubi never had. Miller has balance as skater that Dubi still doesn't have.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
No, no, no. This is a Brandon Dubinsky clone.

148600.jpg

:laugh:

That's awesome.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Am I greedy for hoping for a bit better of a scorer?

I would take another Dubi and be satisfied though.

Kershaw

Goal per game in the NHL.... :sarcasm:

Their CHL numbers were similar PPG at least, although that's only year for Miller.

He could hopefully be like Henrique though. That would do wonders for us to have that production during his ELC.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
For a long time Dubi was our best puck carrier by far. Some of that had to do with the rest of the team to be sure, but Dubi is one of the tougher guys to knock off the puck. He uses his body and shields is really well, and he's got some elusiveness.

Dubi is a superb puck carrier, and one of the few Rangers the last few years who could transport the puck out of the defensive end, and into the offensive.

Dubinsky's puck carrying once he got into the offensive zone was the most infuriating to watch. He must of done the following 1k times as a Ranger:

- Enter the zone on the rush, many times where he was the sole puck carrier in the neutral zone, so w/ a significant amount of speed
- While shielding the puck, make a strong drive to the net
- Last second abort the play and take the puck around the net

Not every player is Rick Nash, but a 25lb lighter player in Callahan isn't afraid to drive to the net, and Dubinsky on the rush was allergic to crashing the net.

Dubinsky was 2nd to Marcel Hossa in talent in shielding the puck, but it doesn't mean a damn thing if you can't do anything with it.

Last Man Picked

Jan 18, 2013
back when jagr was a linemate of dubinsky, dubinsky impressed me with his puck carrying skills, especially gaining the offensive zone. he also was a good cycler and strong on the puck when deep along the boards. i dont know where those skills went but he gradually declined in those areas over the past 3 years or so.

dubinsky is probably stronger but JT might be the better shooter

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Yea I think some are glossing over how good of a puck carrier Dubi was when he really turned on the jets. I don't think Miller is that much better.

What I do think Miller is much better at is his ability to dish the puck in the offensive zone and in the transition game. I think his vision is far better than Dubi's.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
Dubinsky's puck carrying once he got into the offensive zone was the most infuriating to watch. He must of done the following 1k times as a Ranger:

- Enter the zone on the rush, many times where he was the sole puck carrier in the neutral zone, so w/ a significant amount of speed
- While shielding the puck, make a strong drive to the net
- Last second abort the play and take the puck around the net

Not every player is Rick Nash, but a 25lb lighter player in Callahan isn't afraid to drive to the net, and Dubinsky on the rush was allergic to crashing the net.

Dubinsky was 2nd to Marcel Hossa in talent in shielding the puck, but it doesn't mean a damn thing if you can't do anything with it.

Oh that's ridiculous. For a long time Dubi was the only way we could get the puck from our end to the other end and he set up plays in the O zone off the carry all the time. And this idea that Callahan crashes the net needs to be further understood; he crashes the net without the puck, he doesn't particularly carry the puck much and when he does he's nothing special.

In the Washington series the only way we ever got into their end was because Dubi took the puck carried it the whole way. I hate this HF boards meme groupthink that Dubi was just a ****ing idiot all the time on the ice.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Doesn't remind me of Dubinsky in anyway shape or form.

Dubinsky's hockey iq was awful. He did alot of things right but they are completely different players

Miller reminds me more of a bigger Ryan Callahan or a mike Richards actually.

Both good comparisons

Nothing like Dubinsky

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, can someone explain this thing where Gordie said he'd be like Dubinsky or Mike Richards? It's like saying he'll be like Colton Orr or Sidney Crosby. Mike Richards is much better than Dubinsky. Is Richards the ceiling and Dubinsky the floor? Otherwise that comparison says nothing, which one is it?

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
Doesn't remind me of Dubinsky in anyway shape or form.

Dubinsky's hockey iq was awful. He did alot of things right but they are completely different players

Miller reminds me more of a bigger Ryan Callahan or a mike Richards actually.

Both good comparisons

Nothing like Dubinsky

You think Ryan Callahan and Mike Richards are guys that play the same way? Your hockey IQ is awful, not Dubi's.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Ahhh a 12 year old

Yah if say two guys that play solid two way hard checking gritty games that can chip in offensively are similar players

Love HF boards for comments like that

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, there definitely are similarities in style of play, but Miller has the edge in some of the most important aspects. And, most importantly, Miller doesn't have his head stuck up his rear end; he knows what he is and what he isn't and he understands and accepts his limitations and his niche on the ice. Dubinsky to this day continues to be confused, and that is always going to hold him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad