JT for C

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
We were bad for so long. We tanked and got lucky with an elite franchise centre from the age of 18 in the lottery. You hold on to him and one of the ways to do that is to give him the C. Of course if he was a jerk you wouldn’t just give him the C, but he is respected in that room. To me it’s a no brainer.

To me, years ago before I was posting, I used to read trade proposals for us on the trade board looking for that elusive no. 1 centre like Getzlaf and H. Sedin etc. We happen to now have 2, either would be a great choice. But when those ping pong balls fell it was the start of it all. When it comes down to it, Matthews is the backbone.

Reactions: Its not your fault

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
To me, years ago before I was posting, I used to read trade proposals for us on the trade board looking for that elusive no. 1 centre like Getzlaf and H. Sedin etc. We happen to now have 2, either would be a great choice. But when those ping pong balls fell it was the start of it all. When it comes down to it, Matthews is the backbone.
To be honest the organization getting fixed pre-dates Matthews. Matthews absolutely expediated it, but the changes started when Rogers and Bell bought the Leafs from the incompetent Teachers Pension Plan. Tim Leiweike is really the guy who got all 3 MLSE properties to change for the better.

Honestly, I don't think we really know the room, and how everything works. Tavares, Matthews or Rielly would all be great choices in my eyes.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I honestly don't even care who it is, at this point. Continuing without a captain when you have three legitimate options is just silly. There's actually more head games by not picking a captain than there would be by just picking one of them.

If they wait any longer, then it's starting to look like an insult to the guys that might be named. Tavares, Rielly, Matthews. Flip a (figurative 3-sided) coin.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
If Matthews isn't given the C he's at the end of his contract. He's the face of the franchise former #1 OA corner stone before JT arrived. Maybe if JT lead the Leafs on a long playoff run I could see naming JT but he honestly didn't move the needle that much we still in 7 games to the Bruins. If I'm Matthews I see it as a slap in the face.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
I honestly don't even care who it is, at this point. Continuing without a captain when you have three legitimate options is just silly. There's actually more head games by not picking a captain than there would be by just picking one of them.

If they wait any longer, then it's starting to look like an insult to the guys that might be named. Tavares, Rielly, Matthews. Flip a (figurative 3-sided) coin.
Agreed time to pick one already

Reactions: qqaz

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I doubt the players care that much.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
OP's reasoning is just stupid.

having said that, my vote goes to Tavares. Local boy should be the obvious choice for captain. he grew up a leafs fan and will do the jersey/crest proud.

matthews is too young to be captain. he can take-over once tavares' contract is up in 6 years.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
He better get the C or I would have bought a JT jersey for $110 with the A at Si Vu Play today :laugh:

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think they get Tavares' leadership with or without the C. With Matthews, maybe it puts a little bit more pressure on him to lead by example. For just a year or two its JT, but for the long haul one of the younger guys makes sense. And if it adds even the slightest increased chance he would re-sign its a no brainer. I would like JT and Rielly to have the As.

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
I’d give it to Rielly if I was the leafs

Same with me. I feel like he's the locker room leader right now and he's much less boring to listen to in an interview compared to Matthews and JT. But you can't go wrong with either of those three.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Same with me. I feel like he's the locker room leader right now and he's much less boring to listen to in an interview compared to Matthews and JT. But you can't go wrong with either of those three.

I know what you mean.

Regarding your last point I think you can go wrong with Matthews but maybe that’s just me. Rielly or Tavares seem like the natural choices. It likely will be between Matthews and Tavares though

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I still think this is Matthews team to take over and when they think he is ready he will get the C. Until then we wait.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I know y'alls haves that opinion and its correct. Tavvy would make a whole lot of sense dawg. But I already stated it guaranteed cause ich knows thangs: Matthews has been pushed through and the word has been sent. Tsn and nhl.com etc already had theirs. The latest media warnings and sings were mattthews gon get it. He gon get the last kick to his great game also through this. Tavvy, Rielly and matthews are all good choises but they gon go with the young kick, matthews this time. It's a savvy, great choise also. I'm clappin my hands here :clap: Cause we need captain at last. Leafs always should have a captain, so this the way they chose, we cool. We gon smoke and lay back. Watch ice hockey and play also ourselves. Matthews has been sent the word to tsn etc from the organization and they made all those articles already. It's been ruled and stated and I reported it already. Don't be alarmed, it's ok brothers and sisters. We is going to have a beautiful life. And I knew it.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
JT seems most fitting to me at this point. All the boxes are in his favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad