JT for C

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
With Matthews signing a scant 5 year deal I think JT should be the Captain. JT is more captain material than Matthews anyway. The lack of commitment by Matthews to Toronto seals the deal for me. A seven or 8 year deal by Matthews was going to make me overlook JT's superior leadership qualities.

JT is the player our young guys should model themselves after. Strong. Consistent. Professional.

I'm waiting til after Marner's deal to make my final decision. If we lock up Marner i might give it to him.

Really all three would be great leaders.

My vote so far ... JT.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
With Matthews signing a scant 5 year deal I think JT should be the Captain. JT is more captain material than Matthews anyway. The lack of commitment by Matthews to Toronto seals the deal for me. A seven or 8 year deal by Matthews was going to make me overlook JT's superior leadership qualities.

JT is the player our young guys should model themselves after. Strong. Consistent. Professional.

I'm waiting til after Marner's deal to make my final decision. If we lock up Marner i might give it to him.

My vote so far ... JT.

It's either him or Morgan. You don't give 5 year guy with a freaking trap contract (NMC in year 5) the leverage to use the C in contract negotiations. Well, maybe in Dubas world you do... sadly.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

My vote so far ... JT.
If Matthews was willing to sign an 8 year deal it’s not a lack of commitment on his part.
Seems like a GM issue.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
I was mad yesterday bout this but i have cooled off since and now back to wanting matty to get the C.

Plus he pushed for the 8 yrs and the leafs pushed for shorter

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Crosby and Toews signed 5 year contracts. Tavares signed a 6 year contract. Want to guess who were captains?

This is teenager stuff. Stop. Grow up a little.

Stop using rational and logical information that goes against the narrative that Matthews isn't committed to being here!

Unbelievable how childish many posters here get when they don't get a signing or trade.

Reactions: Zrinski

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
The captain isn't the most elite player. That's the high school hockey captain.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Matthews will be captain and he will be a Leaf for far longer than the next 5 years.

You would have to be blind not to see that he made a long term commitment to the Leafs.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
If Babcock is picking he is definitely picking JT.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
He told you that?
The way he talks about JT in the post games.
The way he loves vets. The way he loves JT's consistent effort and intensity. I think JT is the veteran leader this team needs to guide us in this 5 year window.

Young captains are just the wrong way to go. Experience required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad