JT for C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Both Tavares and Matthews (like Phaneuf before them) are personality "challenged" - don't think that's important so much to the actual concept, but man, as a fan - listening to Phaneuf speak was like listening to paint dry.
Rather have Reilly, myself.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Now when does y'all thank the maple leafs (legendary) will announce the uh captain? After the training camp, or (during) the training camp y'all? I'm not able to remember the thang when they usually do dat thang. Was it during, or after right after? Write.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Captain Morgan please.
Only so I can use this image.

WGdpIDU_d.jpg

For real though, after Matthews, Rielly would be my pick for the 'C' followed by JT.

Reactions: Primary Assist

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
So... it dawned on me earlier tonight.

I don't think the Leafs have any plan whatsoever to announce a captain. Ever again.

I think the media is going to force their hand in this, but I don't think MLSE wants to have anyone wear the 'C' anymore.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
So Steve Dangle on his latest podcast pointed out something good and that is a recent article published by the Athletic by Pierre Lebrun about a meeting that Babs and Auston had over the summer. Unlike last year, this one got no attention naturally because its content is very positive and this market and media craves negativity. Anyways, in summary of the article, Babs really talks about how Auston is ready to take a much bigger role on the team and basically make it "his team". Talks about how he is ready to be the next Toews, Bergeron, Crosby. Those guys are all captain material and 2 of the 3 are captains. So going by that article I would say that Auston is most likely a lock and an announcement should come before the season start at some point. I think they might be waiting to get Mitch signed to not further alienate him.

I personally am on the Captain Morgan boat.

Reactions: qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
So Steve Dangle on his latest podcast pointed out something good and that is a recent article published by the Athletic by Pierre Lebrun about a meeting that Babs and Auston had over the summer. Unlike last year, this one got no attention naturally because its content is very positive and this market and media craves negativity. Anyways, in summary of the article, Babs really talks about how Auston is ready to take a much bigger role on the team and basically make it "his team". Talks about how he is ready to be the next Toews, Bergeron, Crosby. Those guys are all captain material and 2 of the 3 are captains. So going by that article I would say that Auston is most likely a lock and an announcement should come before the season start at some point. I think they might be waiting to get Mitch signed to not further alienate him.

I personally am on the Captain Morgan boat.

That's a great point.

We can't really know what they're planning, or if they're planning anything at all. But any hints or comments from the organization always seem to point to Matthews.

I'd add that the longer the wait is, the more likely that Matthews is the guy made captain. If it was going to be Rielly, possibly JT, they would have done it by now. Why wait on a candidate that is ready now? The only reason to keep waiting is to be sure the guy is ready for the job. That suggests Matthews. And this is the season to do it.

I'd be happy with any of the 3. Just pick one, already.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Listening to Matthews in his last few interviews.

It's so painfully obvious that he's the next captain, definitely going to be announced before October.

No doubt about it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
https://www.tsn.ca/tavares-says-leafs-have-many-qualified-candidates-for-captaincy-1.1362937

“I think Morgan [Rielly] being here for as long as he has and his maturity level, you can see it in his game and how he carries himself off the ice, very level-headed,” Tavares said after the Leafs’ informal skate at Ford Performance Centre on Monday.
“Obviously Auston [Matthews’] presence, his talent, his ability, his drive to be one of the best players in this league is incredible. A guy like Mitch [Marner] has an incredible energy about him, just brings the room to life and the way he impacts the game in so many different areas and the way he plays it is so unique.”
Tavares is also in the mix for the Leafs’ captaincy, and unlike almost anyone else in Toronto’s dressing room, he has on-the-job experience.
Tavares thinks it could be any of himself, Matthews, Rielly or Marner.

Reactions: Buds17

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Listening to Matthews in his last few interviews.

It's so painfully obvious that he's the next captain, definitely going to be announced before October.

No doubt about it.
It definitely looks like it sire. The media and all how they pushed it at tsn and nhl.com already weeks ago. Its so clear to us who read these thangs correctly and how they play it. It already has been written. I also told so with the 100 guarantee like two weeks ago already. It'll happen soon sire and will be announced. My only question is: When? The name is a guaranteed one for certainly.

mondo13

Sep 9, 2019
toronto
matthews is the most likely candidate, although i would prefer reilly. there's just something distinctive about a defensive captain.

i would imagine tavares would reject the captaincy so a younger player could have it

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Only so I can use this image.

WGdpIDU_d.jpg

For real though, after Matthews, Rielly would be my pick for the 'C' followed by JT.

Maybe replace the sabre with the Cup and the Cup stack of Bruins?

Excellent image.

Reactions: MattySnipes

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Matthews for Captain. NO one else.

Matthews is really going to break out this season and put himself in the TOP echelon of Hockey. A place where Tavares and Marner are not.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
It will be Matthews.

I love JT but it's simply not his team. I also believe it's a bit wasted on him. He's a vet, hometown kid, and a consummate professional. He's going to be a leader on this team and he doesn't need a C to do it.

For Matthews I think it means a lot more.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
1. Captain morgan

2. Jt

3. marner

Just please not auston. Doesnt seem like the kind of player to make captain

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
How is your young franchise C not the kind of player you make a captain?

Have never seen him stand up for a team mate, seems to not get along with the coach and questionable skills at handling the media. Also did nothing for the team with that atrocious contract. All in all not a fan

Placid Perspicuity

Apr 19, 2016
Count me as another one who firmly expected the C to go to Rielly, but have changed his mind based on recent comments by Matthews and Dubas. I still feel like Dubas is leaning toward someone like JT or Rielly, based on his comment about the need for a calm demeanor when speaking to the media, and his words describing candidates that "will be ready in the future." However, with all the reports about Babcock meeting with Matthews, Matthews' attitude of wanting to be "the Guy" in important situations, etc. I can't help but feel that it's going to be given to him. I admit that my view of the captaincy may be a bit outdated. I still feel that it's better to avoid putting Matthews in a situation to become the lightning rod when things go bad, but if he wants it as much as reports indicate, I don't see why you wouldn't give it to your best player.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Looks like it's Matthews with two strong leaders to lean on in Rielly and Tavares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad