Prospect Info: JT Compher, RC – 35th Overall, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Devine clarified on Nich later on.....saying that he was either a homerun.. or a strikeout .... Can't really blame them for walking away...but you couldnt blame them for taking the risk either..

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I think the question warrants more discussion than anyone has given it. I watched all their WJC games too and I've never seen anything from him I didn't like on the ice. Darcy and co. Certainly know better than I do, but the explanation they gave was the flight risk and no one seems to mind or want to press them further.

Regarding Compher, I've only watched a couple games, but he doesn't seem like a real dynamic offensive player. Are we thinking of him as a good 3rd line, heart and soul kind of guy who can pitch in with some scoring, or am I underselling his offensive upside. Anybody more familiar with him?

Prospects (as you know) tend to have aspects of their game that are strong suits, and facets that need to develop and mature during the course of the early development after being drafted.

In Compher's case, everything I've seen, heard, and read, indicates that he is pretty solid defensively, and smart with and without the puck - which is fantastic to me, because that aspect of the game is tougher to teach. It's easier to work on a guy's shot, or have him work on puck retention when battling, or watch film with him and work on his offensive zone positioning, etc...

With JT, his offensive game needs to develop a bit, especially in comparison to other areas. But playing at Michigan will certainly aid that goal. I don't think he was taken under the notion of him becoming a legitimate, first-line scoring center, but when you have a guy who is as much of a hustler and a worker as he is, offense isn't far behind. He'll fly to the net, work for rebounds and garbage goals, and gain helpers by retrieving pucks in corners.

So far, my favorite quote about him came from Donny Granato, his NTDP coach:

"Anything intangible, as far as an attribute, that I’ve mentioned, he’s a 10."

Lastly, any report on him that I've read mentions his skills, offense in particular. Meaning, he's not inept in that regard. Here's one report on him:

Compher is one of the rare skilled players that exhibits the same effort and enthusiasm without the puck that he does with the puck. He's a tenacious, sometimes nasty, defender that makes life difficult for opponents. His compete level all over the ice is among the best in the draft.

Adding to his positives, Compher showed excellent leadership abilities, being voted as a captain of the NTDP team in international play this year, and really raising his level of play at key times for the US team. Off the ice, Compher is regarded as an excellent student.

Offensively, Compher more than holds his own as well. He finished third on the NTDP-U18 team in scoring this year with 50 points, though because he missed a handful of games due to injury this year, he was tops on the team in point-per-game average. The last impression he left with scouts was a good one, as well, when he put up 7 points in 7 games at the World U18 championships, including a lot of very big, important goals for the US team.

As far as pro potential, Compher projects as a relatively safe bet to fill a second or third line role at the NHL level given his tenacity and attention to detail on the defensive end. Given the right circumstances, he could possibly fill a first line role for a team, provided his offensive play improves.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
This report is loaded with praise for him...I dig:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ect-profile-for-buffalo-sabres-2nd-round-pick

When you look at the package that J.T. has, it's skill, it's a competitive spirit. The biggest thing is, you watch a player that can skate and make plays, but he does it at high speed and at pace and tempo. He's just a threatening player when he has the puck. And when he doesn’t have the puck, he wants the puck. - Button

"Everything matters to him. He wants to be a catalyst for winning."

If you take a puck from him, you better skate as hard as you’ve ever skated because he’s tracking you down and going to steal it back immediately. And if he can’t get it back, he’s probably going to whack you or run you into the boards.

NHL Player Comparison

Brad Marchand of the Boston Bruins. Like Marchand, Compher doesn't have huge physical size, but he gets under the skin of opposing players, fights for loose pucks and will be a productive offensive player. He will also be very tough to play against. Opposing players will remember Compher for a few nights after they play against him

Top-End Potential

Scouts see Compher as a solid two-way forward. His top-end potential is probably a 30-goal scorer who will see some time on the power play and keep opposing players off their game. He will also be a leader on and off the ice and score big goals in big games. We're talking about a hard-working, skilled and productive two-way forward who will log top-six minutes.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I really wanted Zykov at this pick, but the more I hear about Compher the more excited I get about this kid. Insane compete level and good potential for more offense? yes please

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
What is the correct pronunciation of Compher? Comm-furr? Comp-hurr?

If it's the former, I'll feel inclined to crack a "does JT Compher make opposing defenseman feel uncomphertable?"*joke every time he's on the ice.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What is the correct pronunciation of Compher? Comm-furr? Comp-hurr?

If it's the former, I'll feel incline to crack a "does JT Compher make opposing defenseman feel uncomphertable?"*joke every time he's on the ice.

The PH is pronounced as an F.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
The PH is pronounced as an F.
That's right but it's still disappointing. The Jurassic Park these song at the draft makes me want to call him Compy.

Monde-perdu-1997-13-g.jpg

Relentless, pesky, chirpy...

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
before the 2012 draft this kid would have been our savour down the middle, we would have dreamed about him becoming a #1 guy, now we hope he becomes a solid player. Oh how times have changed.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
before the 2012 draft this kid would have been our savour down the middle, we would have dreamed about him becoming a #1 guy, now we hope he becomes a solid player. Oh how times have changed.

Before 2012, the cupboards were so bare that we would've indulged in recklessly wishful thinking about anyone we drafted who played C?

Kid might make, might not. There's probably 50 or so center prospects or first year players in the league ranked higher than him. I like his attitude, and hope he has the talent to match it.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I'm liking this pick more and more as time goes on. High second rounder that could have gone in the first? Crazy good two-way game? Comparisons by established scouts to Drury and Marchand? This could could pan out like another very good two-way center that Boston found in the second round...

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
FYI, Compher's got a four o'clock interview with WGR.

Another Schopp classic I'm sure :sarcasm:

Hopefully he'll be on Hockey Hotline tomorrow, too. Those guys get a lot more out of their conversations with anyone and a big part of that is Peters. He knows how to relate to players (duh) and uses his sense of humor to establish a more conversational interview. I assume (hope?) over the course of dev camp most of the attending draftees will be on there.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Best on him asking about Sekera? Hopefully he's more prepared than yesterday's interview with Zadorov.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Most notable thing that will come out of this interview: He will leave college early if he's ready for the NHL, no matter how early that'd be.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
He's basically asking Compher for background details he could have spent 2 minutes researching... was he here at the prospects game... where was he during the draft. :shakehead

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
He's basically asking Compher for background details he could have spent 2 minutes researching... was he here at the prospects game... where was he during the draft. :shakehead

His interviewing skills leave a lot to be desired. I'd be curious if JT had conversations with Devine about what to work on and what they want to see from him in the next couple years.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
It's not starting off well. Schopp's surprised that a 2nd round pick was actually at the draft when he was picked...OY.
Schopp is just terrible and puts no effort into these interviews.

Most notable thing that will come out of this interview: He will leave college early if he's ready for the NHL, no matter how early that'd be.
More like only thing, everything else was pretty redundant or rudimentary.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Schopp is just terrible and puts no effort into these interviews.

More like only thing, everything else was pretty redundant or rudimentary.

I said that right after that part of the interview, and yeah... there was literally nothing of value that came from it. He did accidentally get Compher to mention that he played against Zemgus, but neglected to pounce on the opportunity to get his impressions of Girgenson's game or what kind of fun it'd be playing on a line with him, causing havoc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino