Prospect Info: JT Compher, RC – 35th Overall, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just as bad as yesterday's interview. :facepalm: Lack of preparedness, just mickey mouse. Schopp... just embarrassingly bad.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Just as bad as yesterday's interview. :facepalm: Lack of preparedness, just mickey mouse. Schopp... just embarrassingly bad.

Clearly we need to start an HF Sabres board podcast and interview these guys ourselves

That's right but it's still disappointing. The Jurassic Park these song at the draft makes me want to call him Compy.

Relentless, pesky, chirpy...

Seeing as how his true name is Computer, Compy works.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009

I cannot stand listening to them during the afternoon.Schopp was talking about a stupid freakin' Candy Crush game app for a phone for a whole 5 minute segment.Are you kidding me?Then the interview with Compher was a joke,Schopp comes off as a rude, condescending buffoon and is just the worst personality on WGR, worse then even Bulldog.He makes Kevin Sylvester look like a great sports talk host.

captngrif

Dec 12, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Well, they talked a lot about the holiday tomorrow, so I assume he had his foot out the door during the interview.

Anybody catch when Schopp said he wasn't a fan of fireworks? Come on man, fireworks, seriously how can you not love fireworks!

Would have liked to have heard more about playing against Zemgus. I was at the crunch game where he got smoked bad, concussed. He seemed to rebound form that, hopefully will not have future issues.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Compher’s intangibles set him apart:
Granato, who has experience as a minor league coach with the St. Louis Blues and a scout with the Vancouver Canucks, said J.T. Compher will succeed as a pro because of his intangibles, including his competitive nature.

“If you take a puck from him, you better skate as hard as you’ve ever skated because he’s tracking you down and going to steal it back immediately,” Granato said. “And if he can’t get it back, he’s probably going to whack you or run you into the boards.”

J.T. Compher’s teammates, often the victims of a whack or board run, unanimously voted him team captain at three different tournaments, in part, because of that competitiveness.

“He’s a monster when it comes to competing. It might sound like I’ve overstated that … but it’s pretty incredible,” Granato said.
Granato said that dedication will make the difference in college and beyond.

“Anything intangible, as far as an attribute, that I’ve mentioned, he’s a 10,” Granato said.

“That will separate him as he moves along with kids of equal talent.”

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I cannot stand listening to them during the afternoon.Schopp was talking about a stupid freakin' Candy Crush game app for a phone for a whole 5 minute segment.Are you kidding me?Then the interview with Compher was a joke,Schopp comes off as a rude, condescending buffoon and is just the worst personality on WGR, worse then even Bulldog.He makes Kevin Sylvester look like a great sports talk host.

Schopp is generally rude which might be tolerable if he knew sports at all. His Sabres knowledge is weak. Barely better than an average fan. In general, the Buffalo media is third rate which is why -- I hate to say because I don't want people to take it the wrong way -- they are stuck in Buffalo. Tim Graham was the only beat writer at the News that was any good on Sabres. Harrington is like a high school reporter. Sylvester is actually OK on radio, too darn flat for TV. I can live with Paul Hamilton -- at times.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Schopp is generally rude which might be tolerable if he knew sports at all. His Sabres knowledge is weak. Barely better than an average fan. In general, the Buffalo media is third rate which is why -- I hate to say because I don't want people to take it the wrong way -- they are stuck in Buffalo. Tim Graham was the only beat writer at the News that was any good on Sabres. Harrington is like a high school reporter. Sylvester is actually OK on radio, too darn flat for TV. I can live with Paul Hamilton -- at times.

John Vogl and Bill Hoppe are both pretty good.

I think your comments about being "stuck " are Buffalo is off the mark. Buffalo is just a microcosm of the larger sport reporting world. There are a handful of good reporters surrounded by a much larger group of buffoons

Its a generational thing IMO. Years back we had the likes of Jim Kelly, Larry Felser, Bob Decasere (sp?) among others reporting locally. Kelley is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Felser was a fantastic writer.

I think there are so many positions for sports reporters now due to the explosion of sports media in the last few decades. That its led to the dilution overall of the "talent" not unlike when leagues expand. Folks that otherwise wouldn't be in the business are now. There are so many jobs to fill. The tone of sports coverage has changed as well. Its less about well fleshed out articles and informed opinions and more about being controversial or contrarian for its own sake.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

I think your comments about being "stuck " are Buffalo is off the mark. Buffalo is just a microcosm of the larger sport reporting world. There are a handful of good reporters surrounded by a much larger group of buffoons

Its a generational thing IMO. Years back we had the likes of Jim Kelly, Larry Felser, Bob Decasere (sp?) among others reporting locally. Kelley is in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Felser was a fantastic writer.

I think there are so many positions for sports reporters now due to the explosion of sports media in the last few decades. That its led to the dilution overall of the "talent" not unlike when leagues expand. Folks that otherwise wouldn't be in the business are now. There are so many jobs to fill. The tone of sports coverage has changed as well. Its less about well fleshed out articles and informed opinions and more about being controversial or contrarian for its own sake.

Those guys are both solid. Agreed. I don't mean to insult Buffalo. I'm more Sabres fan but I defend Buffalo all the time in Toronto. It's a great town, there's is something truly authentic about its people -- way less of the phonies that litter my town.
You will have great journalists who choose to stay in small towns or mid-size towns for family and other reasons. But many are looking to move up and out.
Frankly, the beat coverage in Buffalo is very weak. Reporters break very little and rely on releases or just follow leads from Canadian outlets like TSN. The writing isn't too bad in the News at least compared to WGR which seems to not proofread anything online.
The columns put up by the radio station could be written by high school students. I have stopped reading most of them other than dude who does by the numbers.
Most disturbing for me is the Buffalo News antagonism towards the Sabres and its owner. I've rarely seen anything like it. It's on par with the media and Toronto's current mayor -- who may or may not be on crack. It's hard to imagine what Pegula has done to deserve the biased reporter he's faced from News. That's my two cents.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Agreed. That goes for all journalism. The whole profession is over saturated. Half these guys shouldnt even be writing for school newspaper. Sadly it is no longer about reporting the news...it's about creating the news.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Big Ten Hockey ‏@B1GHockey 28m

The #B1GHockey Freshman of the Year as voted by the Big Ten coaches & media is JT Compher of @umichhockey. pic.twitter.com/6PxAY7HRq6

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Big Ten Hockey ‏@B1GHockey 28m

The #B1GHockey Freshman of the Year as voted by the Big Ten coaches & media is JT Compher of @umichhockey. pic.twitter.com/6PxAY7HRq6
Quick someone bump him on the prospects forum. Or do only Detroit posters do that?

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Awesome that he's getting these recognitions and accolades. Hoping the pick turns out to be one we look back on as a second round steal. Or one that makes me forget we traded a stud dman entering his prime

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Back to back Saturdays with hat tricks for JT.
I mentioned this in the prospects thread. The hat tricks are nice and all, but this kid is a sensational hockey player having nothing to do with scoring. Like last year, I got to watch him in person back-to-back and you can't really appreciate what he does on the ice, in all phases of the game, unless you see him live. He does it all on the ice and does it well. He is an outstanding hockey player, and the stats will rarely show it. He'll get the attention now because of the tricks, but that's a small fraction of the story. Not to get too effusive with the praise, but he brings so much more than that.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I mentioned this in the prospects thread. The hat tricks are nice and all, but this kid is a sensational hockey player having nothing to do with scoring. Like last year, I got to watch him in person back-to-back and you can't really appreciate what he does on the ice, in all phases of the game, unless you see him live. He does it all on the ice and does it well. He is an outstanding hockey player, and the stats will rarely show it. He'll get the attention now because of the tricks, but that's a small fraction of the story. Not to get too effusive with the praise, but he brings so much more than that.

I've said it a number of times now...he's going to be Joe Pavelski with lower offensive numbers.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I think he is more likely to be like Torrey Mitchell then Joe Pavelski, a guy who scores 10-15 goals and is hard to play against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad