Prospect Info: JT Compher, RC – 35th Overall, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Loved the pick. He's a nice addition. I really am not a huge Sekera guy. I felt he was completely replaceable. No offense to any who love him. Sekera is a nice defensemen and McBain is a downgrade. But Compher can do a lot of things well. He definitely was a first round draft pick.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
From Red Line Report's Compher Spotlight:
Size/Strength: B
Skating" B+
Shot/Scoring abilty: A-
Puckhandling: A-
Hockey sense: A
Competitiveness: A
Physical play: A-
Composure/Poise: B
Defence: B
Scouting Report: One of the more complete two-way forwards in the upcoming draft. Plays a hard-driving physical game and is an intensely competitive guy. Combines that with a fine offensive skillset that includes a rocket shot and sniper’s touch around the net. Tough to play against because he can contribute in so many different ways, and is always in constant motion. Looks to initiate contact and plays hard in his own end, too. High character kid who comes through in crunch time.
Compher prides himself on being a two-way forward in the Jonathan Toews mold and feels his work ethic will help get him to the NHL quicker.

“I consider myself a playmaker and a gritty player that can play 5-on-5, power play and penalty kill,†said Compher. “I also like to pattern my game after Ryan Kesler who, along with Toews, plays both ends of the ice and are both leaders. Those are two guys I look up to and try to take a little bit from each guy to go along with my style of play.

“As for my work ethic, that has also helped with my success. It doesn’t matter what the score is, I’m still out there working hard, blocking shots, doing whatever I need to do. This is just a game and even if you’re up by three or four goals in the third period, you can still lose. You can’t waste the third period and even if you’re up or down by a lot, use that time to make yourself better. You can’t be lazy in thisgame.â€

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Compher, along with Girgensons, will play in this team's top six one day. Both guys have unheralded offensive ability and they'll be a pain to play against.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Im over the Sekera trade... and it's because of Compher

We've talked for years about how this franchise has lacked an identity... Compher is the embodiment of what I hope this team's identity matures towards.

Couldn't agree more about Compher. Can't say exactly how good he'll be but Darcy's going for guys who have either/or: Size + skill combo and/or compete + intensity + two-way game. Most of his recent picks are plus skaters as well. "Watching other teams in the playoffs" (gonna continue to be our fav catch phrase during this rebuild) it is clear these are identifiable hallmarks of successful rosters.

I don't want 200 foot guys anymore. I want 210 foot guys, and Compher sounds like a 210.

Jim Schoenfeld was a 210 foot player:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
This is just a game and even if you’re up by three or four goals in the third period, you can still lose. You can’t waste the third period and even if you’re up or down by a lot, use that time to make yourself better. You can’t be lazy in this game.”

don't we know it...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Old Drury fans should be looking at this kid in that sort of light. Hard minutes, specialty teams and effort that elevates those around him? Please. Please more. Girgensons, Larsson, Compher? Throw in some of the guys like Kea who stands up for himself and his 'mates, plays hard defense... this is what the body of a damn hard team to face is going to look like.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Old Drury fans should be looking at this kid in that sort of light. Hard minutes, specialty teams and effort that elevates those around him? Please. Please more.

as President of Team Old Drury Fans, I endorse this message.

Compher :heart:

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
“As for my work ethic, that has also helped with my success. It doesn’t matter what the score is, I’m still out there working hard, blocking shots, doing whatever I need to do. This is just a game and even if you’re up by three or four goals in the third period, you can still lose. You can’t waste the third period and even if you’re up or down by a lot, use that time to make yourself better. You can’t be lazy in this game.”

Very rare attitude, love it. I understand why they were willing to give up 38 & 52 to move up for him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Compher did not come to the Sabres pre-draft camp, but he has quotes on the NTDP and having seen the rink/facilities and about being happy they traded up to get him.

"Agitiating is part of my game. I like to be hard to play against."

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
There are capsules on some of our picks in the following post-draft article on American draftees: http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/201...t-a-look-at-the-top-american-prospects-taken/ (link credit: LegomyLeggio)

35. J.T. Compher — Buffalo Sabres: Buffalo had a really terrific first couple of rounds and Compher is a big part of that. The captain of last year’s U.S. National Under-18 Team is a high-character kid, with a hard-nosed game and some skill. He plays tough, works incredibly hard and has a knack for coming through in big games. He’s undersized, but his competitiveness and aggressive style bode well for his future. Compher should get quality development time at the University of Michigan to continue to grow his game.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Darcy actually wanted a Dell but he settled for a 1995 JT-series computer. No wonder he can't send faxes on time :shakehead.

FIRE MARCY REGOOF

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He has that Tyler Kennedy look when he starts talking which should help piss opponents off even more.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Darcy actually wanted a Dell but he settled for a 1995 JT-series computer. No wonder he can't send faxes on time :shakehead.

FIRE MARCY REGOOF

:laugh:

I have a hard time not liking this pick, but it still hurts losing Sekera to the Canes.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Watching the Russia u18 semifinal (thank you Woodhouse for posting), Computer looks as advertised. Good two-way harding working game so far.

Worth mentioning, that the big elite skilled power forward we PASSED on in the first round is a monster so far in this game. Are we sure he's not going to play in the NHL like he said?

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I think the question warrants more discussion than anyone has given it. I watched all their WJC games too and I've never seen anything from him I didn't like on the ice. Darcy and co. Certainly know better than I do, but the explanation they gave was the flight risk and no one seems to mind or want to press them further.

Regarding Compher, I've only watched a couple games, but he doesn't seem like a real dynamic offensive player. Are we thinking of him as a good 3rd line, heart and soul kind of guy who can pitch in with some scoring, or am I underselling his offensive upside. Anybody more familiar with him?

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I think the question warrants more discussion than anyone has given it. I watched all their WJC games too and I've never seen anything from him I didn't like on the ice. Darcy and co. Certainly know better than I do, but the explanation they gave was the flight risk and no one seems to mind or want to press them further.

You referring to Devine's interview here? That was a pretty obvious deadpan. He was deflecting the reporter without having to commit to any particular assessment of Nichu's ability. I'm 99% sure its as simple as they rated Risto higher. Much higher.

Regarding Compher, I've only watched a couple games, but he doesn't seem like a real dynamic offensive player. Are we thinking of him as a good 3rd line, heart and soul kind of guy who can pitch in with some scoring, or am I underselling his offensive upside. Anybody more familiar with him?

Way to early to tell. These types of players sometimes turn into 1st line captains, sometimes 2nd line glue, sometimes 3rd line grit. I do know that with his attitude I think his chances are higher than average.

Superhero

Jul 9, 2003
Amherst(Buffalo), NY
Visit site
Sekera is a great skater, but lost too many battles along the boards and wasn't able to clear the front of his own net. He also underachieved offensively. Him, Ruwedal and Pysyk were too much of the same small soft D-Men on the roster.

JT Compher sounds like he will be a fan favorite. He is a complete type of player that can help the Sabres to win many games. I think this is a great pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad