Prospect Info: JT Compher, RC – 35th Overall, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm not sure what is "meh" about a guy who works this hard and has intelligence and speed. I love this pick. Not sure at the cost, but as a player, Compher is a personal fav.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Pronman's analysis:
25. J.T. Compher, Center, USA Under-18 Team (USHL)

Compher is the top prospect to emerge from the USA development program in this draft (keeping in mind that Seth Jones played for the USNTDP last year). He is a great all-around player, above average or better at just about every area of the game, despite his 5'11" frame. He is a good skater who picks up speed well, and he has a high-energy element in his play. He forechecks and backchecks with speed, pressuring the opposition, while showing no hesitation to bang bodies. He is very skilled, with above-average puck skills and offensive instincts. On occasion, he will show elements of true offensive flash. He can make individual plays, and he tends to find his teammates well. He also has a big shot, and will be able to score from mid-distance. He is quite strong for a player of his height and age, but he will need to continue to bulk up so that he can play his style at the next level.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Like many posters I had my eyes on Lindholm or Monahan. But having said that we have talented centres in the pipeline--it cannot be stated with certainty that either of them is better than Grigorenko, Hodgson, Girgenson, Larson. On the other hand we had a defence that played scared in its own end and let other teams free wheel in our zone. We lacked size, toughness and nastiness. Our defencemen NEVER wanted to be first on the puck in our end--a lack of determined belligerence. Today's picks will not only be better than the players they replace, they will make the other player play bigger and better. Regier both this year and last year has made what must be said to be good moves until hindsight proves differently--if it does.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
I'm not sure what is "meh" about a guy who works this hard and has intelligence and speed. I love this pick. Not sure at the cost, but as a player, Compher is a personal fav.

I agree, Computer was projected late 1st in nearly every mock and ranking that I saw all year. Can't imagine why anyone is that upset getting him at 35.

ZeroPT*

For those who are wondering about the JT Computer shenanigans here's what happened, after we picked him in the chat i simply wrote compher, but my ipad decided to auto-correct it without me noticing, someone asked what happened and i said we took computer, and thus JT Computer was born.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
For those who are wondering about the JT Computer shenanigans here's what happened, after we picked him in the chat i simply wrote compher, but my ipad decided to auto-correct it without me noticing, someone asked what happened and i said we took computer, and thus JT Computer was born.

This explanation DOES NOT COMPUTE

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I know we already had Ristolainen and Zadorov.......why not take Santini at this pick if you aren't taking Fucale or Zykov? Other than this pick, I am really satisfied with the Sabres draft.....not exactly how I wanted to fall but satisfied.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
I'm going to make the unpopular statement that I have not given up on McBain.

Actually, I remember being really impressed when I saw him play in Albany years ago and when he first joined the Canes. I was really high on him at that point.

I can't speak to what's happened to his game in the last few years, but I know the talent is there.

So I just wanted to throw that out there. I don't think he's an automatic fill in for a career in Rochester.

Fire away.

ZeroPT*

Is it possible to change your username twice in a week :laugh: I changed to ZeroPT but I REALLY WANT TO CHANGE IT TO JT COMPUTER LIKE SO BAD. Can anyone help me out here?

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Is it possible to change your username twice in a week :laugh: I changed to ZeroPT but I REALLY WANT TO CHANGE IT TO JT COMPUTER LIKE SO BAD. Can anyone help me out here?

have to wait a year !

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Would Ryan Calllahan be a valid comparison for him? If he can provide great 2 way play, play chippy and put up 25 goals/50 points a season ill be ecstatic.

Compher is a high-motor, high-speed, high-compete guy who plays a 200' game and has some skills. This guy is all sorts of good to have in the system. Draw what parallels one wants. This guy is a skate-through-a-wall-lead-by-example type.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
High energy, High character leader, two way player. He projects to be a player that would fit right in with Boston's team this year. Risto will probably be the best player we got but Compher and Zadorov will be guys that define our rebuilding team. We are looking to out-compete teams now.

Oddly enough, I feel like this is a Pegula pick.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Compher is a high-motor, high-speed, high-compete guy who plays a 200' game and has some skills. This guy is all sorts of good to have in the system. Draw what parallels one wants. This guy is a skate-through-a-wall-lead-by-example type.

Girgensons, Larsson, Compher, Tropp, Flynn, Catennacci, Kea...200-foot players galore. :D

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Girgensons, Larsson, Compher, Tropp, Flynn, Catennacci, Kea...200-foot players galore. :D

Really not a fan of losing sekera, but getting a player like this in exchange is helping me stomach it. And props to darcy for going full rebuild/suffering

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
This is a guy the Sabres coveted according to Devine.

Once he slipped into the mid-to-late 20s, Devine said that the Sabres started calling everyone offering 38 AND 52 in order to trade up to specifically nab him. Everyone declined, saying that they wanted to stay there.

Once he hit 33, that's when the Sabres and Canes started talking again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad